Deputy Killed By Another Deputy Playing With Guns

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"A deputy mistakenly shot and killed his roommate, who was also a deputy, as the two took a break from playing an online game with friends while they were off duty, a Florida sheriff said. Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey called the shooting “an extremely dumb and totally avoidable accident” in a video posted on social media on Sunday afternoon in which he announced that Deputy Andrew Lawson, 23, was charged with manslaughter. Deputy Austin Walsh, 23, died at the scene in their apartment in Palm Bay early Saturday morning.

The roommates had taken a break from playing the online game and were standing around talking when Lawson took out a gun he believed he had unloaded and “jokingly” pointed it at Walsh, the sheriff said. A round fired and hit Walsh.
Lawson immediately called 911 and was “distraught” and “devastated” when first responders arrived, Ivey said. Lawson was taken to the Brevard County Jail on a “no bond” warrant, the sheriff said. It was not immediately known whether he has a lawyer who can speak on his behalf."

Sad story and I am sure the deputy who shot the gun is a great guy but even great guys are expected to be held accountable for their actions. Police above all others are supposed to be the first to know that guns are not toys...never play with them...always assume they are loaded...No matter how this plays out, this guy should not be an officer anywhere, again.

"A deputy mistakenly shot and killed his roommate, who was also a deputy, as the two took a break from playing an online game with friends while they were off duty, a Florida sheriff said. Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey called the shooting “an extremely dumb and totally avoidable accident” in a video posted on social media on Sunday afternoon in which he announced that Deputy Andrew Lawson, 23, was charged with manslaughter. Deputy Austin Walsh, 23, died at the scene in their apartment in Palm Bay early Saturday morning.

The roommates had taken a break from playing the online game and were standing around talking when Lawson took out a gun he believed he had unloaded and “jokingly” pointed it at Walsh, the sheriff said. A round fired and hit Walsh. Lawson immediately called 911 and was “distraught” and “devastated” when first responders arrived, Ivey said. Lawson was taken to the Brevard County Jail on a “no bond” warrant, the sheriff said. It was not immediately known whether he has a lawyer who can speak on his behalf."

Sad story and I am sure the deputy who shot the gun is a great guy but even great guys are expected to be held accountable for their actions. Police above all others are supposed to be the first to know that guns are not toys...never play with them...always assume they are loaded...No matter how this plays out, this guy should not be an officer anywhere, again.
Anybody raised with weapons knows, you always treat any gun as if it is loaded. What a dumbass.:(

Did you know that Rhodes shot his own eye out?
No kidding? I had a Sergeant that did that. He was aiming for right between the eyes and missed, though he had always been an expert shot with small arms, tanks too, for that matter. It took out the left eye, and also made him deaf in left ear before coming out right behind the ear. He actually returned to active duty and was given back to me. He became quite upset, I would not return him to Platoon Sergeant over that platoon, but not upset enough to take another shot at his previous short term/long term goal while I had that assignment. It was a strange counseling session, to say the least, but I guess by the time it was over, we saw eye to eye, or maybe I should say eyes to eye.

No kidding? I had a Sergeant that did that. He was aiming for right between the eyes and missed, though he had always been an expert shot with small arms, tanks too, for that matter. It took out the left eye, and also made him deaf in left ear before coming out right behind the ear. He actually returned to active duty and was given back to me. He became quite upset, I would not return him to Platoon Sergeant over that platoon, but not upset enough to take another shot at his previous short term/long term goal while I had that assignment. It was a strange counseling session, to say the least, but I guess by the time it was over, we saw eye to eye, or maybe I should say eyes to eye.
He was suicidal and chickened out?

The roommates had taken a break from playing the online game and were standing around talking when Lawson took out a gun he believed he had unloaded and “jokingly” pointed it at Walsh, the sheriff said. A round fired and hit Walsh. Lawson immediately called 911 and was “distraught” and “devastated” when first responders arrived, Ivey said. Lawson was taken to the Brevard County Jail on a “no bond” warrant, the sheriff said. It was not immediately known whether he has a lawyer who can speak on his behalf."

Yeah, yeah, that's a likely story.
The inside scoop on this was that he was a sore loser. :smoke:

He was suicidal and chickened out?
Maybe. I don't know. Subconsciously, quite likely. He didn't put it against his forehead, so there is that, but he did pull the trigger, looking down the barrel, so there is that, too. He had caught his wife fking some other guy, (civilian, as a matter of fact). She did fk him again later in the divorce, getting custody of the kids and a guaranteed chunk of his military pay and benefits. I thought he was pointing at the wrong person, myself.

Forum List

Back