Deported man may be Houston-born citizen

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Deported man, possibly American, was halted by Border Patrol | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Immigration officials are reviewing whether a 19-year-old man deported last week from South Texas is actually a U.S. citizen born in Houston

Luis Alberto Delgado said he and his older brother were stopped last Thursday by a Jim Wells County Sheriff captain, who called the U.S. Border Patrol.

Despite carrying a birth certificate showing he was born at Houston's Ben Taub Hospital, a state of Texas ID card and a Social Security card, Delgado said he was taken into Border Patrol custody, questioned for eight hours and pressured into signing paperwork that cleared the way for his removal to Mexico.

Delgado, who returned to Houston three years ago after spending much of his childhood in Mexico, said immigration officials were suspicious because he spoke very little English. He said they kept saying, "No, these papers aren't yours."

A U.S. Border Patrol spokesman said that officials do not comment on individual cases. A spokesman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, Chris Van Deusen, confirmed that the state has a birth certificate on file matching the information on one provided to authorities by Delgado. The Houston Chronicle reviewed a certified copy of the birth certificate.

U.S. immigration officials have faced scrutiny in recent years over allegations that they have deported U.S. citizens, including a high-profile case of a mentally disabled Los Angeles man who was lost for months in Mexico in 2007. Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., said some cases in the past have been "appalling," but she was encouraged that Immigration and Customs Enforcement Assistant Secretary John Morton has taken steps to help revise guidelines to prevent such situations.

He said he was detained from 4 p.m. to midnight and pressured to sign paperwork that resulted in his being sent to Matamoros.
"The official that was holding me told me I had to sign them … or I would have to stay there," Delgado said.
"I thought if I signed them, they'd let me go free, and I could return to Houston," he said.

When Delgado tried to come back to the U.S. through the port of entry, he said he was told he could face up to 20 years in prison for entering the country after being deported.

I'm sure some of you here don't care, because after all, that's just one less mexican for you to throw out. However, this is a major screwup of epic proportions. Especially since they pressured him to sign these documents despite the fact he had all the legal documents that show he is a citizen. We'll see how this story develops, I could end up being wrong, but it looks like an open and shut case to me.

Again with a one-sided story and from the liberal rag the Houston Chronicle. One part that must be noted is "Delgado's case may have been complicated for the Border Patrol because Delgado's family used a fake Mexican birth certificate to enroll him in school in Mexico.". The family has a history of using fake documents, who's to say the birth certificate he had was authentic.

Again with a one-sided story and from the liberal rag the Houston Chronicle. One part that must be noted is "Delgado's case may have been complicated for the Border Patrol because Delgado's family used a fake Mexican birth certificate to enroll him in school in Mexico.". The family has a history of using fake documents, who's to say the birth certificate he had was authentic.

Yeah, because we all know the "Liberal" Texas Department of State Health Services is in on keeping all the illegals here. :cuckoo:

You really need to read the entire article, and not just parts that fit your shortsighted views.

Yep. We are getting like the former USSR need papers to go everywhere.

Didn't the Patriot act and such invalidate birth certificates and DL's for border crossing. You need A passport I think.

This man should be as angry about illegal immigrants as we are for it is their fault this man had to go through this in the first place...

Yeah, because we all know the "Liberal" Texas Department of State Health Services is in on keeping all the illegals here. :cuckoo:

You really need to read the entire article, and not just parts that fit your shortsighted views.

I read the entire article and I also looked at the source. The fact of the matter is this story is a one-sided account, with an admission of using faked documents. If you wish to make a judgement based on what little you know about the case, then go for it, but I'm not as gullible as you are. I would need to hear both sides before I make a judgement call.

I read the entire article and I also looked at the source. The fact of the matter is this story is a one-sided account, with an admission of using faked documents. If you wish to make a judgement based on what little you know about the case, then go for it, but I'm not as gullible as you are. I would need to hear both sides before I make a judgement call.

wonder why his innocent little soul would use fake documents?

Typical Bertie, throw a little tantrum without having all the evidence. Why did this man sign ANYTHING if he didn't understand exactly what the consequences would be? Why didn't he request an attorney? Why is their evidence that this family has used false paperwork in the past? etc etc etc.

BUT most importantly Little Bertie, why are you so quick to condemn LEO in EVERY single situation? Is there some event in your past that so traumatized you that you believe all LEO are evil ALL the time? Come on man, they are people, doing a tough job.

Why would you condemn someone because of something his parents did?

If this guy is an American the cops are in the wrong.

His parents faked a BC to enroll him in school in Mexico. So authorities wondered which papers were fake, the fact his family enrolled him into Mexican school which says he is indeed a Mexican citizen ( via the fake Mexican BC) or the US BC? How are authorities to know which is real? So he is breaking Mexican laws by having a fake Mexican BC and breaking US law by having a fake Mexican BC. How were US authorities to know which was the truth and if the documents were real?

Typical Bertie, throw a little tantrum without having all the evidence. Why did this man sign ANYTHING if he didn't understand exactly what the consequences would be? Why didn't he request an attorney? Why is their evidence that this family has used false paperwork in the past? etc etc etc.

BUT most importantly Little Bertie, why are you so quick to condemn LEO in EVERY single situation? Is there some event in your past that so traumatized you that you believe all LEO are evil ALL the time? Come on man, they are people, doing a tough job.

You obviously didn't read the article. Also, the second half of your post is merely delusional thinking.

Deported man, possibly American, was halted by Border Patrol | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Immigration officials are reviewing whether a 19-year-old man deported last week from South Texas is actually a U.S. citizen born in Houston

Luis Alberto Delgado said he and his older brother were stopped last Thursday by a Jim Wells County Sheriff captain, who called the U.S. Border Patrol.

Despite carrying a birth certificate showing he was born at Houston's Ben Taub Hospital, a state of Texas ID card and a Social Security card, Delgado said he was taken into Border Patrol custody, questioned for eight hours and pressured into signing paperwork that cleared the way for his removal to Mexico.
Delgado, who returned to Houston three years ago after spending much of his childhood in Mexico, said immigration officials were suspicious because he spoke very little English. He said they kept saying, "No, these papers aren't yours."

He said he was detained from 4 p.m. to midnight and pressured to sign paperwork that resulted in his being sent to Matamoros.
"The official that was holding me told me I had to sign them … or I would have to stay there," Delgado said.
"I thought if I signed them, they'd let me go free, and I could return to Houston," he said.
When Delgado tried to come back to the U.S. through the port of entry, he said he was told he could face up to 20 years in prison for entering the country after being deported.
I'm sure some of you here don't care, because after all, that's just one less mexican for you to throw out. However, this is a major screwup of epic proportions. Especially since they pressured him to sign these documents despite the fact he had all the legal documents that show he is a citizen. We'll see how this story develops, I could end up being wrong, but it looks like an open and shut case to me.

In order to fix the out of control illegal immigrant problem in this country, we have to accept the fact that some American born citizens will be deported.

I would rather err on the side of being too aggressive and lose some Americans to deportation, than to err on the side of caution and allow this shit to seep into our country from the south.

:cuckoo:

The guy effectively confessed to being in the country illegally when he signed the waiver, which is why no one should ever talk to cops, because they will use anything you say against you, even if you are innocent.

In order to fix the out of control illegal immigrant problem in this country, we have to accept the fact that some American born citizens will be deported.

I would rather err on the side of being too aggressive and lose some Americans to deportation, than to err on the side of caution and allow this shit to seep into our country from the south.

:cuckoo:
That's retarded. If you're being serious, please tell me so I can neg you.

CaféAuLait;2442661 said:

His parents faked a BC to enroll him in school in Mexico. So authorities wondered which papers were fake, the fact his family enrolled him into Mexican school which says he is indeed a Mexican citizen ( via the fake Mexican BC) or the US BC? How are authorities to know which is real? So he is breaking Mexican laws by having a fake Mexican BC and breaking US law by having a fake Mexican BC. How were US authorities to know which was the truth and if the documents were real?
He had enough ID as an American to prove he was one it sounds like. If they were unsure they could have detained him and made sure.

CaféAuLait;2442661 said:

He had enough ID as an American to prove he was one it sounds like. If they were unsure they could have detained him and made sure.

He should be jailed in Mexico and the US.......at the same time!

Hey, crap happens. Look at the bright side - he will now sue Texas, get a big bundle of money and be very happy.....ho-hum.

What would you do if you were locked in a room for 8 hours, accused of being an illegal immigrant, and told that if you signed a paper you could leave, but if you did not you would have to stay in that room with people asking you questions?

He signed the paper because the ICE agent lied to him, and gained a confession under false pretenses. As immigration is not a criminal offense, ICE is not required to Mirandize you, or stop questioning you simply because you ask for an attorney. Gives them a lot of leeway to do things like this.

Forum List

Back