Dems: Raise gas taxes

Wow

Rookie
Jul 10, 2008
Texas
Democrats are doing anything to keep gasoline and diesel prices high for the poor and middle-class. :whip:

FOXNews.com - Lawmakers Could Consider Gas Tax Hike, After Gas Tax Holiday Fails - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Saturday, July 19, 2008
Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The political vision of a summer gas tax holiday died a quick death in Congress, losing to a view that federal excise taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel — far from dropping — will have to go up if they go anywhere.

Despite calls from the presidential campaign trail for a Memorial Day-to-Labor Day tax freeze, lawmakers quickly concluded — with a prod from the construction industry — that having $9 billion less to spend on highways could create a pre-election specter of thousands of lost jobs.

Now, lawmakers quietly are talking about raising fuel taxes by a dime from the current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

Democrats are doing anything to keep gasoline and diesel prices high for the poor and middle-class. :whip:

FOXNews.com - Lawmakers Could Consider Gas Tax Hike, After Gas Tax Holiday Fails - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Saturday, July 19, 2008
Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The political vision of a summer gas tax holiday died a quick death in Congress, losing to a view that federal excise taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel — far from dropping — will have to go up if they go anywhere.

Despite calls from the presidential campaign trail for a Memorial Day-to-Labor Day tax freeze, lawmakers quickly concluded — with a prod from the construction industry — that having $9 billion less to spend on highways could create a pre-election specter of thousands of lost jobs.

Now, lawmakers quietly are talking about raising fuel taxes by a dime from the current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

That would be a nickel not a dime....

• Banned
LOL, you said the tax will increase by a dime then said from 18.4 to 23.3

That my friend is a nickel increase not a dime increase.
First of all, I did not say a dime. I quoted a reporter.

Read again.

current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

This means the Fed taxes on gasoline will be 28.4 cents per gallon.
This also means Fed taxes on diesel will be 34.3 cents per gallon.

Comprende Amiga?

Democrats are trying to kill the middle-class and make the poor, poorer.

Last edited:
First of all, I did not say a dime. I quoted a reporter.

Read again.

current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

This means the Fed taxes on gasoline will be 28.4 cents per gallon.
This also means Fed taxes on diesel will be 34.3 cents per gallon.

Comprende Amiga?

Democrats are trying to kill the middle-class and make the poor, poorer.

My bad

I read through the article and your title is very misleading.

But you probably already knew that.

Asshole.

Saturday, July 19, 2008
Associated Press

Here in Illinois, tax capital of US, after 9/11 they gave a state gas 'holiday', the feds didn't. I doubt in any sense we'll see the feds providing relief, especially now that fuel is dropping.

How much is a gallon of gas and diesel in the US nowadays?

The average for unleaded according to AAA ( an automotive "club" in the US that is leading spokesman for these types of things) last friday was about $4.10 a gallon. But varies widely. Near $5.00 in some inner cities like LA and New York and close to $3.50 in some low tax middle American and western towns. In Omaha area you can get it at $3.83 best I've seen, across the river in Iowa.

Diesel is at least .50 higher.

Why is diesel which needs less refinement that Gas more than gas?

Because the refineries are at capacity, and must choose which ever is in highest demand to refine first. Which has caused Diesel to be more than gas even when gas requires more refinement.

Just one more reason to build more refineries!

Why is diesel which needs less refinement that Gas more than gas?

Because the refineries are at capacity, and must choose which ever is in highest demand to refine first. Which has caused Diesel to be more than gas even when gas requires more refinement.

Just one more reason to build more refineries!
Higher Federal taxes on diesel is part of it.

I remember in the 70s, diesel was always cheaper than gasoline.

The average for unleaded according to AAA ( an automotive "club" in the US that is leading spokesman for these types of things) last friday was about $4.10 a gallon. But varies widely. Near $5.00 in some inner cities like LA and New York and close to $3.50 in some low tax middle American and western towns. In Omaha area you can get it at $3.83 best I've seen, across the river in Iowa.

Diesel is at least .50 higher.

Thanks for the reply. As I'm sure you know, petrol (gas) is currently $11 per gallon here in The UK, and diesel is just over $12 per gallon.

About 75%.

For some reason I'm not allowed to post a link, but have a look at www petrolprices.com /fuel-tax.html (which is a bit out of date, prices are much higher now).

About 75%.

For some reason I'm not allowed to post a link, but have a look at www petrolprices.com /fuel-tax.html (which is a bit out of date, prices are much higher now).

You need 15 posts to post a link.

Thanks for the info, see we are paying 4 bucks a gallon and only 18 cents of it is federal taxes, if you add state taxes it averages around 50 cents total, so only about 12.5% of what we pay is taxes. At least over there most of the money you pay at the pump is staying in your country in the form of taxes, over here most of it is going to other nations :(

Forum List

Back