Democrats

O

obviousman

What's everyone opinions on the plans that a democratic senator on the Intelligence Commitee(non-partison) proposed. I do not profess to know all the details but from what I understand he wants the democrats to exploit our intelligence for party gain. The intelligence world to me has many parts of it that are very crucial in our national security and to risk national security for party gains is not only ludacris but it is very selfish.

Are you referring to the inquiry regarding the information used to goad the nation into war, and the democrats on the committee who want to not only examine the quality of the information itself but also to evaluate whether the information was used/abused by the administration? If so, while partisan politics is part of the reason for having the inquiry (or another separate inquiry) cover the possible mis-use of intel, just as partisan politics is part of the reason for the republican members of the committee to try and block that route of investigation, there exists a need to examine how the intel was used. It needs to be examined simply because there is enough doubt in the nation to warrant it. If it is not examined the portion of the population who believes it was misused will always feel that they were right, and moreover will be able to use the fact that the inquiry was blocked as evidence of the admin hiding something shameful. (right or wrong)

It's still not right. There's a reason its "intelligence" you can't let the nation "examine" it just to gain a political advantage. I mean come on the senator was on the commitee this should have been done long ago. And notice he suggested exploiting it during an election year. Seems shady to me.

I find it amusing that the democrats are still accusing the president of politicizing the war after they've been caught passing this sort of thing about.

But in all honesty, this isn't really anything new.
We all knew the strategy.

Thank you Aquarian. So far we have the following facts:

1. Bush used certain intelligence to decide to go to war with Iraq
2. Congress would like to examine that intelligence
3. the purpose of the examination would be to determine how well it fared and how the administration used it.

It sounds like an independent branch of the government (Congress), which coincidentally (or not) was given the right by the constitution to declare war in the first place, would like to examine the reasons why the war took place. There is nothing treasonous here. None of the intelligence has to be published in the newspapers. There have been many times in history when Congressmen and women have been taken into confidence regarding national security matters. Would anyone suggest that these Senators or Representatives will take this information and hand it over to Al Qaeda? Any ultra-conservative who thinks that has really deluded himself.

Regardless of partisan politics, any self-respecting opposition Congressperson who on the intelligence committee would at least attempt to review the information. If Republicans were in the opposition they would have the right to do the same, and you wouldn't hear the media calling them traitors. If I recall correctly, throughout Clinton's presidency there were numerous governmental investigations, costing millions of dollars, into his actions, policies, and conduct, most of which was personal.

Erm. I'm talking about something else ;) carry on.

AmericanLiberal
First of all no one in Congress but this 1 Democrat has suggested this. Actually there was another Democrat in the Senate who went behind and said that this guy didn't speak for the party he just represented himself. What probably happened was that the democrats planned this not to reach the public, it did and so they realized that if another Democrat condemned him for it, then the party wouldn't get any political reprocussions.

Forum List

Back