Democratic Revolution

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Feb 15, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    There will never be a better time to "drain the swamp" in the Middle East. Iran next, then Syria. Let's see how quick Saudi Arabia and Egypt can hold legitimate elections. What? You say newly elected representative governments in these countries will be run by maniacs hostile to America? How is that any different than the current situation? We should press forward and free all the oppressed people of the Middle East. If we do, then 200 million people will be added to the side of freedom and democracy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Excellent, especially combined with the other post. I agree with everything, especially the conclusion that the Iraqi elections, with the Shiite majority, may have begun anew the battle for Iran freedom. Better from within than without.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Absolutely!! I think there is an undercurrent there ripe for reform. And I'm also hopeful this happens.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

I firmly believe that this was our intent when we went into Iraq. That WMD was only the smallest of reasons and that our original goal was to surround Iran with Democracies, even if only in name (such as Pakistan). This would detoxify a situation that has been growing in Iran for quite some time all without invading another country.

Here's to our brothers and sisters who hope for freedom in Iran.

:cheers2:

5. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    You're right, we have leadership in position to do it, and a public that will (for now) seemingly have the stomach for it...

But on whose bank? If we had a leadership that garnered any sort of international support we wouldn't have to foot the entire fiscal and military bill. Invading Iran and Syria and installing democratic governments is the ideal, definitely, but as things stand right now its a fairytale considering a) how much its going to cost b) how many people will die c) how little help we're going to get.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    NE, very infrequently I answer your posts, no animosity just your attitude bothers me and I am trying to avoid stress.

On this however, well it seems that you agree but feel compelled to give the anybody but Bush argument. It doesn't wash. He's in there for 4 years, barring some calamity. You should be hoping for the right course, right meaning 'correct.'

7. nakedemperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I agree that we SHOULD remove opressive dictators where they exist, but right now we CAN'T.

Anyone but Bush? Where did that come from?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    From here:

9. nakedemperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    How do you extrapolate: this person thinks anyone else would be a better president than George Bush

From: George has, for better or for worse, alienated us from much of the world

I don't see the connection. If pointing out a shortcoming of a president is enough to indict the critic of an 'anyone but Bush' attitude, then I sure hope you're an anyone but Bush person yourself.

Also, I'm kind of glad you never respond to my posts. You have this weird way of bringing up my sexual orientation whenever you ding my rep for stuff that has nothing to do with sex. But hey, everyone has their little things that set them off.

10. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    This is a difficult question. We certainly will not receive help from the EU, save a few exceptions. The Russians, Germans , French, and Chinese will make American action against the totalitarian regimes in Syria or Iran as difficult as possible, since they view US hardship as positive for their international interests. These countries cheer anything that depletes the "dollar empire," as the Soviets used to call it. Unlike American behavior toward the French prior to the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, those countries should understand that they will suffer very negative financial repercussions if they actively work against the democratization of the Middle East. Since Wahhabism is one of the main reasons that the swamp needs to be drained, maybe we should make the Saudis pay for democratization in the Middle East. That irony would be justice served. Am I kidding? Indeed, the costs will be high to bring democracy to the Middle East, both in blood and treasure. But the costs will be high, and perhaps higher, if we do not.