Democratic Polling firm study suggests voters not buying WH rosy economic picture

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wiseacre, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Maybe things get better as the year wears on and jobs and economic growth continue an uptick. If so, I'd suggest the results below will change in the president's favor. However, if they don't then he could be in real trouble. Not many reasons to believe in the former scenario, but there are for the latter. Such as turmoil in the middle east, who knows if Israel will decide to take out Iran's nuclear facilities. Or escalating trouble in a bunch of places, or a downturn in the EU or China. I don't see any good reason to think things are going to get any better, do you?

snippet:

Signs of an economic turnaround, improved job performance grades and the erratic state of the Republican primary field have heartened the Obama re-election campaign recently. But while the president touts an uptick in employment and paints a picture of an America on the rise, a new Democratic study cautions that the electorate isn't exactly buying it.

Indeed, the majority of voters appear to be pessimistic about the economy, the issue at the forefront of November's election. Democracy Corps, a polling firm run by prominent Democrats James Carville and Stanley Greenberg, finds 56 percent of voters want a change of economic direction. And they seem to trust Republicans more than Democrats in handling the economy by a 4 percent margin.

"The stubbornness of the DemocratsÂ’ disadvantage on the economy should be a lesson if they are really to prevail," the group says in a memo issued Friday. "These are still tough economic times."

The firm tested the strength of President Obama's messaging on the economy: His call for middle-class fairness and his assertion that jobs are returning. The latter seems to fall flat.
    In his State of the Union address, the president spoke about 3 million jobs being created over the past 22 months. But participants in this survey reported they had not seen evidence of these jobs nor felt the effects of job creation.

They also expressed concern that the jobs created were temporary, and not ones that sustain the economy over the long term. One Democratic participant expressed that sentiment in these terms: "Just pouring sugar on the thing to create a few temporary jobs is going to get us no place." The pollsters say Obama's highlighting of progress on job creation "is potentially dangerous for Democrats."
    RealClearPolitics - Obama Faces Challenge Selling Recovery

2. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I think Obama is trying to sell steer manure to a feed lot.

"We've got more than enough bullshit already, don't need to buy no more...."

3. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,808
    No matter what Obama says on the economy, in the long run, it is going to go over better than the total pessimism and scare tactics of republicans. People are tired of being scared to death, even false optimism is better than republicans' constant litany of doom and gloom and assuring Americans that they're too expensive for republicans to give a damn about, much less help.

Any republican criticism of Obama's economic policy begs the question of what republicans would have done differently and the answer always sounds suspiciously like "tax cuts for the wealthy, nothing at all for you". If they intend to run on that they will be puzzled at how little traction it gets them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    The picture portrayed by Obama and the media is a lie.

Those of us living in realville...see it different...and will eject Obama.

And YES I am still running...as a write-in.

5. The T

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    The only scare tactics are coming from Obama...his Class WARFARE rhetoric.

It's ALL he has.

6. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    Why is it folks like you forget the promises?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hsquKMi5Ec]Obama's broken promises kick-off campaign for 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

7. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well, living in Florida, I can say I haven't seen much of an economic turnaround. But maybe I live in fantasy land or something.

8. The T

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
  9. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,808
    Folks like me do not respond to scare tactics, despise them even, the republicans have nothing else, get a better, more optimistic message or lose and continue losing.

As far as promises go I didn't watch the video but he has a pretty good record on promises kept, apparently only the republicans expected him to keep all of them in spite of the constant sabotage of even their own ideas and the supreme court turning our elections upside-down.

10. The T

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    But you BOW to Obama and HIS scare tactics.

YOU are caught.

Obama has nothing but Economic mailaise...Class Warfare.

HIS economy quite frankly sucks.