Democrat, Former Obama Aid Arrested Child Sex

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Personally, I think we can all agree that within any group there are going to be bad apples, including perverts. I think these folks should be ostracized when caught, but think the stories beyond local are for partisan purposes only. Does anyone really think that the representative, Obama, or the Democrat Party would know of such or endorse it?

Then again, how about the Republicans caught in the same type of filth? Catholic Priests? Wiccans? Any of these groups that would endorse? I don't think so.

I'd be glad never to see one again, about any group. Alas, that's not the scenario that we've been operating under:

Former Obama Advisor, Aide To NJ Dem, Arrested On Child Sex Charges | TPMMuckraker

Former Obama Advisor, Aide To NJ Dem, Arrested On Child Sex Charges
Ryan J. Reilly | November 23, 2010, 6:07PM

Robert Decheine, chief of staff to Rep. Steve Rothman (D-NJ), was arrested in Gaithersburg, Md. last Friday on charges of soliciting sex from a minor. Decheine, who had been with the Democrat's office since 2003, was fired immediately after the congressman consulted the House Counsel about his arrest, Rothman spokesman Aaron Keyak told The Hill in a statement.

Decheine was arrested as part of a sting targeting people interested in sex with minors -- the first one ever launched by the Gaithersburg Police Department, according to a press release provided to TPM. Eleven arrests were made during the operation, which came in phases. First, ads were placed online and an undercover officer began communicating with each "John."

The Montgomery County Police Department, the Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office, the Maryland State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation supported and assisted in the investigation, said the Gaithersburg Police Department.

"Congressman Rothman considers this alleged criminal act to be shocking, appalling and indefensible," Keyak said in a statement. He added that their office is cooperating with investigators, and that Marc Cevasco was the new acting chief of staff.

Decheine was a senior advisor to the Obama campaign in 2008, according to PolitickerNJ. He previously served as chief of staff to Rep. Bill Luther (D-MN).

Late update: An updated news release from the Gaithersburg Police Department has some more information on Decheine's arrest:

Robert Bruce Decheine, age 48, of the 500 block of 12th Street NE Washington, D.C., was arrested on November 18 and charged with one count of sexual solicitation of a minor. He was released after posting a $15,000 bond.​

Late, late update: Fox DC reports that the undercover officer was posing as a 15 year old girl. Sources also told the television station that Decheine left work on Capitol Hill to meet the girl last Thursday. Decheine, who is married, was arrested in a parking lot at 10:30 p.m., Fox DC said.

:rolleyes:

Your thread title makes your post a lie...not about what happened, but your attempt to pretend at being non-partisan.

I don't get it Annie ... in your commentary you talk about how Obama, the rep, or the Dem Party obviously doesn't endorse this man's behavior and clearly isn't representative of the whole but you made damn sure that everyone knew who he used to work for and what party he is in in your thread title.

Every time a politico or priest, no matter how tenuous or close his connections to either party or the Catholic Church is arrested, we are treated to a title and thread like this one I posted. I think it would be good if we all agreed it shouldn't be that way. That was my point in the commentary.

I don't think I've posted many of this nature, I find them of little value, other than to those that need protection against them.

I don't get it Annie ... in your commentary you talk about how Obama, the rep, or the Dem Party obviously doesn't endorse this man's behavior and clearly isn't representative of the whole but you made damn sure that everyone knew who he used to work for and what party he is in in your thread title.

And the Republican and the Church...

NOT just the Democrats.

That's the point. Got to stop projecting guilt of the individual onto the group.

Personally, I think we can all agree that within any group there are going to be bad apples, including perverts. I think these folks should be ostracized when caught, but think the stories beyond local are for partisan purposes only. Does anyone really think that the representative, Obama, or the Democrat Party would know of such or endorse it?

Then again, how about the Republicans caught in the same type of filth? Catholic Priests? Wiccans? Any of these groups that would endorse? I don't think so.

I'd be glad never to see one again, about any group. Alas, that's not the scenario that we've been operating under:

Former Obama Advisor, Aide To NJ Dem, Arrested On Child Sex Charges | TPMMuckraker

Robert Decheine, chief of staff to Rep. Steve Rothman (D-NJ), was arrested in Gaithersburg, Md. last Friday on charges of soliciting sex from a minor. Decheine, who had been with the Democrat's office since 2003, was fired immediately after the congressman consulted the House Counsel about his arrest, Rothman spokesman Aaron Keyak told The Hill in a statement.

Decheine was arrested as part of a sting targeting people interested in sex with minors -- the first one ever launched by the Gaithersburg Police Department, according to a press release provided to TPM. Eleven arrests were made during the operation, which came in phases. First, ads were placed online and an undercover officer began communicating with each "John."

The Montgomery County Police Department, the Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office, the Maryland State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation supported and assisted in the investigation, said the Gaithersburg Police Department.

"Congressman Rothman considers this alleged criminal act to be shocking, appalling and indefensible," Keyak said in a statement. He added that their office is cooperating with investigators, and that Marc Cevasco was the new acting chief of staff.

Decheine was a senior advisor to the Obama campaign in 2008, according to PolitickerNJ. He previously served as chief of staff to Rep. Bill Luther (D-MN).

Late update: An updated news release from the Gaithersburg Police Department has some more information on Decheine's arrest:
Robert Bruce Decheine, age 48, of the 500 block of 12th Street NE Washington, D.C., was arrested on November 18 and charged with one count of sexual solicitation of a minor. He was released after posting a $15,000 bond.
Late, late update: Fox DC reports that the undercover officer was posing as a 15 year old girl. Sources also told the television station that Decheine left work on Capitol Hill to meet the girl last Thursday. Decheine, who is married, was arrested in a parking lot at 10:30 p.m., Fox DC said.

All I will say is that when choosing aides? These folks need to be a bit more careful in their choices and that goes for anyone.

NOT just the Democrats.

That's the point. Got to stop projecting guilt of the individual onto the group.
Most got your point. Setting good examples is always a good point, in my book.

Robert Bruce Decheine, age 48, of the 500 block of 12th Street NE Washington, D.C., was arrested on November 18 and charged with one count of sexual solicitation of a minor. He was released after posting a $15,000 bond.

All I will say is that when choosing aides? These folks need to be a bit more careful in their choices and that goes for anyone.

I'd say the chances of any of these perverts doing their deeds in full view would be pretty small, no? You know how your employees 'like it?' Don't think so. Institutions or groups are getting tagged by those that hate those groups, by the actions of individuals that can't be known.

NOT just the Democrats.

Most got your point. Setting good examples is always a good point, in my book.

I agree, which is why I don't often read those, much less post them. However, in this case, figured I'd see if anyone else agrees that posts like this are inane and agree that they really don't have a place on the boards-by agreement-not forbidding.

I'd say the chances of any of these perverts doing their deeds in full view would be pretty small, no? You know how your employees 'like it?' Don't think so. Institutions or groups are getting tagged by those that hate those groups, by the actions of individuals that can't be known.

All one has to do is watch and listen.

Forum List

Back