Deficits - Still Growing

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Max Power, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Max Power

Max Power Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_co/democrats_deficit

2. ProudDem

ProudDem Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    This economy could go into another depression and still Demos won't win, know why? Social issues, you guys support every freaky and non-normal thing going, people usually end up voting for normality.

I mean Iraq was not going well in '04 and still you guys lost!

4. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    ^^^ If democrats were smart, they'd drop their current gay marriage position like a bad habit. Instead, they'd ask the sensible question, "Why should the government--any government--be involved in certifying the bond between two people?".

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Amazing, you just proved that Limbaugh was right. The Democrats have positioned themselves so that the only way they can succeed is if the country doesn't. And you've shown that Proud Democrats everywhere have no problem wishing for the worst to happen to our country just so they can regain their power.

6. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    wait a minute.... I read that the deficit was shrinking, not growing.... i.e. until Katrina hit....

the reason given for the drop in the deficit was Bush's tax cuts...

you must have the federal deficit confused with the federal debt

If you really were concerned about the deficit and the debt, you'd be advocating cutting government spending, especially in social programs, many of which are totally ineffective.

7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Good question.... and along that same line of thinking...

1. Why does the government have a Dept of Education? Since its creation in 1977, SAT scores have continued their free fall... get rid of it.

2. Privatize the Post Office. Private industry has shown that they can deliver mail (especially the "positively, absolutely has to get there overnight"... variety)

3. PBS - why do we need that? There are so many choices on cable TV anymore, it's unbelievable ( "the Golf channel"? I can't believe anyone would actually pay to watch someone play golf). Why are we funding this? Cut them loose and let them make their money the old fashioned way by earning it, rather than having taxpayers fund them

4. The NEA (National Endowment for the Arts) - after funding "Piss Christ" what more can I say?

5. Sarbanes Oxley ---- what a piece of legislation..... after the Enron scandal, corporations are now required by federal law to submit, on an annual basis, truckloads of documentation detailing how they ensure accurate financial reporting. I have seen this firsthand.... I've been forced to wait for database administrators and programmers to finish tasks that I needed to be completed because they were busy complying to this silly piece of legislation. The government should have contented itself with throwing the scoundrels that precipitated those scandals in jail.

6. I'll probably make some moderators mad with this one (but, then maybe not).... either eliminate unions from the government or at least make union membership strictly voluntary. Unions seem to be more interested in collecting dues money from their members rather than looking after their interests. For the taxpayer they push up the cost of government services and make it virtually impossible for the government to fire inept employees.

7. Sugar price supports --- the government spends billions of dollars so that you and I, the American consumer, can pay several times the world average for sugar. And for the benefit of a handful of (very wealthy) farmers... why?

those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head .... if I really wanted to, I could come up with more complete list but then my post would fill up the database

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not me! I think the NEA is as bad as ANSWER.

9. Max Power

Max Power Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, no offense, but I'm going to take the word of the CBO over "some guy on the internet," on the state of the deficit. You're going to have to, at the very least, provide a link or SOMETHING to back up your statement that the deficit is shrinking.

Since the article in the original post is no longer there, here's another copy
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1113089
    Umm, no... there is no drop in the deficit... it's increasing.

Umm, no. It appears that you're the one who is confused.

I really am concerned about the deficit and the debt, and I really do advocate cutting government spending across the board.

10. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    This is a good point. The word "marriage" is a religious term and should be stricken from the law books and replaced with "civil union."

As for government's interest in this matter, there are lots of reasons. The main reasons would be property rights. As in the event of a divorce, who would get what? There are also tax issues.