CDZ Defensive gun uses.

There were not 4000 defensive gun uses in America yesterday. There will not be 4000 defensive gun uses in America today. Some of yoiu people have got to learn some critical thinking skills.

Actual research...by trained professionals, by both government and private research groups say you are wrong....

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--
------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Here's just a few that some of you say never happen. Enjoy.

Miketx.....I think I confused you with the other Mike....you aren't the guy who keeps saying we need mandatory training are you?

Indeed, the latter explanation is supported by a pair of private surveysconducted by Hemenway in 1996 and 1999, in which respondents were asked to describe DGUs in their own words, found that the majority of defensive gun uses were both illegal and provided no social benefit. Across these two large national samples of randomly selected telephone numbers, the conclusion was overwhelming: “Guns are used to threaten and intimidate far more often than they are used in self-defense. Most self-reported self-defense gun uses may well be illegal and against the interests of society.”

The surveys also found that when someone uses a gun in self defense, it is often part of an escalating hostile interaction — one in which both participants are likely to be responsible for the event that initially prompted the DGU. One male respondent who reported a defensive gun use described an incident as follows: “I was watching a movie and he interrupted me. I yelled at him that I was going to shoot him and he ran to his car.” Another respondent pulled out a gun to resolve a conflict with his neighbor: “I was on my porch and this man threw a beer in my face so I got my gun.”

Interesting.

Gunfight or Flee: New Study Finds No Advantages to Using a Firearm in Self-Defense Situations
The research provides the latest evidence debunking the myth of defensive gun use.
BY EVAN DEFILIPPIS AND DEVIN HUGHES

·July 14, 2015

Indeed, the latter explanation is supported by a pair of private surveysconducted by Hemenway in 1996 and 1999, in which respondents were asked to describe DGUs in their own words, found that the majority of defensive gun uses were both illegal and provided no social benefit. Across these two large national samples of randomly selected telephone numbers, the conclusion was overwhelming: “Guns are used to threaten and intimidate far more often than they are used in self-defense. Most self-reported self-defense gun uses may well be illegal and against the interests of society.”

The surveys also found that when someone uses a gun in self defense, it is often part of an escalating hostile interaction — one in which both participants are likely to be responsible for the event that initially prompted the DGU. One male respondent who reported a defensive gun use described an incident as follows: “I was watching a movie and he interrupted me. I yelled at him that I was going to shoot him and he ran to his car.” Another respondent pulled out a gun to resolve a conflict with his neighbor: “I was on my porch and this man threw a beer in my face so I got my gun.”

Interesting.
Random digit telephone surveys.
They didn't even know if they were talking to actual gun owners

interesting

Gunfight or Flee: New Study Finds No Advantages to Using a Firearm in Self-Defense Situations
The research provides the latest evidence debunking the myth of defensive gun use.

·July 14, 2015

Pulling the slide back on a semi-auto is a loud audible alarm of what is going to happen next if you fail to obey me without pulling the trigger. If you have to pull the trigger you have to shout Halt twice before pulling the pickle.

·July 14, 2015

Pulling the slide back on a semi-auto is a loud audible alarm of what is going to happen next if you fail to obey me without pulling the trigger. If you have to pull the trigger you have to shout Halt twice before pulling the pickle.
I keep one in the pipe so I don't have to rack the slide

·July 14, 2015

My friend carries a semi-auto in his pickup truck and says I am traveling with the hammer back. Not knowing what he meant when first said I said do you mean the hammer down? Then he showed me and I got it.

You bad mutta you.
How many DGUs have you been involved in? Or your buddy?
Do you all need to defend yourselves with a gun every 6 months? Yearly? Every 5 years. How often?

For me it was once. About 20 years ago. And even though I had gun in hand, there was no real threat. Just a broke down car at 3am.

But I was ready for some DGU.
My American Bulldog and Pitbull are great deterrents though.

They didn't even know if they were talking to actual gun owners

Then why did the respondents answer the question about defensive gun use.......if they had no gun?

Who knows? the fact is there is absolutely no way to verify that any of those people actually were gun owners or involved in a dgu.

Are you so gullible that you believe everything random people say is true?

You bad mutta you.
How many DGUs have you been involved in? Or your buddy?
Do you all need to defend yourselves with a gun every 6 months? Yearly? Every 5 years. How often?

For me it was once. About 20 years ago. And even though I had gun in hand, there was no real threat. Just a broke down car at 3am.

But I was ready for some DGU.
My American Bulldog and Pitbull are great deterrents though.

Never pulled a weapon hope I never have to

but unlike you if the need arises I will be prepared you won't

LMAO. You believe all those surveys showing DGUs don't ya?
Why? Random surveys.

Or do you believe you will get better results for DGU if ONLY gun owners are surveyed?

When you can't refute the information, attack the methodology. Good little right wing gun nutters.

How many DGUs have you been involved in? I take it none seeing as how you won't respond to the simple question.

Who knows? the fact is there is absolutely no way to verify that any of those people actually were gun owners or involved in a dgu.

You do realise you invalidate those studies that claim defensive gun uses. 2nd A guy is gonna a be pissed.

Actual research...by trained professionals, by both government and private research groups say you are wrong....

This should be an interesting discussion.
One of these gun nutters is wrong. But how will they prove which one?
I say dueling pistols at 30 paces.

LMAO. You believe all those surveys showing DGUs don't ya?
Why? Random surveys.

Or do you believe you will get better results for DGU if ONLY gun owners are surveyed?

When you can't refute the information, attack the methodology. Good little right wing gun nutters.

How many DGUs have you been involved in? I take it none seeing as how you won't respond to the simple question.

No I don't but there are also verifiable DGUs that are reported to police and that are caught on video aren't there

And I told you before IDGAF how many DGUs there are. If 1 person a year defends himself it's all good as far as I'm concerned

This should be an interesting discussion.
One of these gun nutters is wrong. But how will they prove which one?
I say dueling pistols at 30 paces.

I was specifically addressing your post and that survey. Unlike you I always look at the metrics of any survey

If it was a survey of verified gun owners involved in verified DGUs I would put more stock in it but it's not is it?

Interesting.

Hemenway is actually the discredited researcher.....he is the only one who relies on the National Crime Victimization Survey....which is not a defensive gun use survey, asks no questions about defensive gun use and doesn't even use the word gun in the survey...yet he claims it is the most accurate for defensive gun uses....

You will have to dig deeper than hemenway....

Notice to....all the other research......keep trying though....

Interesting.

Yeah....here is why hemenway has always been full of crap.....

https://www.saf.org/wp-content/uploads/journals/JFPP11.pdf

Degrading Scientific Standards to Get the Defensive Gun Use Estimate Down

By Gary Kleck

In this article, Florida State University Professor Gary Kleck responds to critics of the National Self-Defense Survey, which found that there are approximately 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year in the United States.

------

These critics do not mainly support the low-DGU thesis by affirmatively presenting relevant empirical evidence indicating few DGUs.

The only empirical evidence affirmatively cited in support of the low-DGU thesis is the uniquely low estimates derived from the NCVS.

The critics appear in no way embarrassed by the fact that the only national estimate they can cite in support of their theory is a survey that does not even ask respondents the key question––whether they have used a gun for self-protection.

And here is why hemenway is not reliable....he makes stuff up....

For example, it is a useful exercise to contrast Hemenway’s assessment of the NSDS results with his uncritical citation (Hemenway 1997b, p. 1442) of findings from a bizarre study (Kellermann et al. 1995) in which the authors assessed the frequency of DGUs linked with home invasion crimes entirely on the basis of the number of times victims volunteered information about such DGUs to Atlanta police.

According to the Atlanta Police Department, the offense report forms that their officers fill out do not include a box or other place calling for information about victim weapon use, nor are officers trained or required to ask crime victims about such things.

Thus, information about victim weapon use, no matter how common it might in fact be, would almost never appear in police offense reports (a fact reported in the journal that published the Kellermann article––see Fotis 1996; confirmed by Kooi 1997).

Nevertheless, solely on the basis of Atlanta Police Department offense reports, Kellermann and his colleagues concluded that DGUs almost never occurred in connection with home invasion crimes, because they were almost never mentioned in the offense reports!

·July 14, 2015

Please provide a link to the actual study....

And the problem.....they lie........hemenway uses the NCVS as his main study to show defensive gun use is a myth...this article from the DAily Kos...a left wing, anti gun site...shows why the NCVS is a stupid source...but it is the only source that the anti gunners have...all the other ones...including bill clinton's Department of Justice study shows defensive gun use extremely high and often.....clinton's put the number at 1,500,000 times a year....

New Study Finds No Advantages to Defensive Gun Use

The Daily Kos on why the NCVS is wrong...
Defensive Gun Use Part III - The National Crime Victimization Study

The disadvantages of this study design are:

1) the study is not specifically designed to measure DGUs;

2) the study does not track every type of crime;

3) the study does not ask every interviewee about episodes of DGU;

4) interviewees are not specifically asked about defending themselves with a gun;

5) follow-up studies have demonstrated that the incidence of assault (and especially assaults by relatives and non-strangers) in the NCVS is under-reported, and if crime is under-reported then so too will DGUs be under-reported;

6) respondents’ anonymity is not preserved, and some interviewees may therefore feel wary or unwilling to discuss gun use with federal government employees.

Forum List

Back