Debunking the Da Vinci Code

Powerman said:
It's a fictional movie...when did they ever claim it WASN'T a fictional movie?

maybe the part where they attest "Everything in this book is factual"? Did that make it into the movie?

dmp said:
maybe the part where they attest "Everything in this book is factual"? Did that make it into the movie?

the book doesn't say that.....it is a work of fiction folks

dmp said:

LOL

It doesn't even say that in the book. It just says that it uses some facts to come up with the story.

But since you asked they didn't say that in the movie. Seeing as I appear to be the only one who has actually seen the damn movie around here I will happily answer all questions about the movie.

I have to admit I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I also have to admit that I won't read the book or see the movie.

I did read - when it was first published - Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Given the sort of speculation in that book I wonder why its publication didn't excite the sort of discussion that the Da Vinci Code (book) did. Brown wrote his book as fiction but the authors of HB, HG wanted the reader to believe their claims. Perhaps it was that HB, HG was pretty dry, a collection of assertions rather than a readable story?

Powerman said:
LOL

It doesn't even say that in the book. It just says that it uses some facts to come up with the story.

But since you asked they didn't say that in the movie. Seeing as I appear to be the only one who has actually seen the damn movie around here I will happily answer all questions about the movie.

While watching the History Channel - The host said "...part of the controversy stems from the books' claim that everything within is factual."

At the beginning of the book, Dan Brown says only the following is factual:

According to the author, there are three such truths:

The Priory of Sion, "a European secret society founded in 1099" (of which Leonardo da Vinci was a member), was a real organization.

Opus Dei, a devout Catholic organization, also is real and has its national office in New York City.

"Descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

dmp said:
While watching the History Channel - The host said "...part of the controversy stems from the books' claim that everything within is factual."

the book does not say that

At the beginning of the book, Dan Brown says only the following is factual:

The Priory of Sion, "a European secret society founded in 1099" (of which Leonardo da Vinci was a member), was a real organization.

Opus Dei, a devout Catholic organization, also is real and has its national office in New York City.

"Descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

jillian said:

Well - we know THAT is bullshit...that organization didn't form until the 1950s. :)

dmp said:
Well - we know THAT is bullshit...that organization didn't form until the 1950s. :)

Yeah, I know that ... but your claim was that Dan Brown said everything in the book was true. My post was from the beginning of the book and those are the only things he says are true. (I figure he took some license with the Priory...but it's a freaking novel!... )

jillian said:
Yeah, I know that ... but your claim was that Dan Brown said everything in the book was true. My post was from the beginning of the book and those are the only things he says are true. (I figure he took some license with the Priory...but it's a freaking novel!... )

Here's the part I was mistating:

"All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate"

He didn't only take license with the Priory - he took license with just about EVERYTHING.

Why are you so worried about people pointing out where the Novel is fiction or simply misleading?

Had this book been about Homosexuals and how they are simply weak-willed sick people, I bet you'd be stammoring about how 'intolerant' it was; fiction or non.

I read the book, and frankly, it was fascinating. But I also read it knowing that it was a work of fiction, and treated it as such. It has had no effect on my theology.

5stringJeff said:
I read the book, and frankly, it was fascinating. But I also read it knowing that it was a work of fiction, and treated it as such. It has had no effect on my theology.

There is a reason that tours of the real-life sites in the book are extremely popular now. There is a real blurring of fiction and non-fiction claims.

There are plenty of people who might be affected, and I am not so callous as to say, as many have (not you, Jeff), "If their faith is that weak, who cares?" As Christians we are called to care deeply about others' salvation.

I think of Mark 9:42, where Jesus warns us:
"Whoever will cause one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him if he was thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around his neck."

Yeah, its important to make clear that it is a work of fiction. Otherwise, a thousand years from now, it might become the basis for a popular worldwide religion.

Forum List

Back