Death Is Solution for Rader's Crimes

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Death to Rader
By R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr., The American Spectator
Published 6/30/2005 12:10:15 AM

WASHINGTON -- My opposition to the death penalty is weakening. I have opposed the death penalty after being persuaded that it contributes to the culture of death that leaves many aspects of our wondrously free and prosperous society quite grim.

By opposing capital punishment I have hoped to highlight the glory of life, and the vast possibilities for human beings to grow and develop in a civilized way. Now that I have heard the testimony of Dennis Rader, the hyena who from the early 1970s killed at least ten defenseless people from ambush in their homes, I am not so sure the death penalty always contributes to the culture of death. A noose for this stupid brute might actually be a celebration of life.

Moreover, a seasoned prosecutor of sex offenses made a surprising observation to me. When I said that for Rader to spend the rest of his life in prison was a severe, if wholly justified, punishment, my prosecutor friend quipped, "He might like it." She went on to say that sex offenders and homicidal sex offenders such as Rader have very perverted tastes. Some of those tastes can be fulfilled in prisons.

Certainly Rader's brutal murders accompanied, he admits, by masturbation are repulsive and suggest that he is barely human. His testimony before a judge in a Wichita, Kansas courtroom confirms as much. In a matter of fact tone of voice and with a slightly authoritative demeanor, he responded to the judge's questions and explained serial murders as though they were a slightly specialized activity, but otherwise perfectly normal. He told of how he "trolled" neighborhoods to find his victims. "Potential hits, in my world, that's what I called them," he said as he scratched his forehead in a very odd hand action, the back of his thumb doing the work, his palm facing his audience. He is a weak-looking man, but he has large paws. "If one didn't work out, I just moved on to another."

I have never known quite what to make of the wise philosopher Hannah Arendt's term "banality of evil," which she applied to brutes such as the Nazi, Adolf Eichmann. It is a term that journalists are now applying to Rader's banal explication of his grisly acts. Arendt wrote insightfully on a wide range of topics, but on brutes who torture and kill she was particularly compelling. She wrote, "The concentration camps, by making death itself anonymous...robbed death of its meaning as the end of a fulfilled life." In a way, Rader turned his victim's homes into little concentration camps. He robbed their lives of meaning. Perhaps by putting a noose around his head meaning might be returned to his victims' lives.

for full article:
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8375 Give it a second to pop up after the initial screen.

Forum List

Back