DC Voucher Program

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Usually with a post like this, I'd go back to the beginning. The links are there and I think the discussion is valuable between Heritage and Media Matters:

Media Matters Tries but Fails to Refute the School Choice Evidence | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    But children may not get the same level of government indoctrination with the voucher system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Thanks Annie, for posting the article: I read it with interest and found the following two points to be most curious:

What is the author thinking here?

A. Parents must be interested in a voucher to apply for it. (obviously)

B. Many Low income parents were interested in vouchers. (again, obviously. Who else would be more interested?)

These obvious points seem to be an effort to justify comparing the graduation rate of the aggregate population (49%) and the group that applied for but did not receive vouchers (70%).

But the most obvious conclusion seems to be the one the author missed!!

The 21% difference, (70-49%) is between parents of kids that were interested enough to apply for vouchers, and the average DC kid's graduation rate.

Essentially, parental interest in their kids education, not the vouchers, had the largest impact on graduation rate.

Secondly:

How extraordinary!

Why is graduation rates more important than academic achievement?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Parental involvement indeed was noted, thus why they set up the control from those that applied, but didn't receive. Indeed, their children were able to succeed at much higher rate. Same types of kids, with the voucher and alternative choices, did nearly again as high as those whose parents bothered, but were not lucky enough to have been drawn.

As with most things, many factors come into play, without a doubt, parental support regarding school being the most important.

5. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Yes, the difference between the control group, and those that applied, but did not receive was a 12% (82-70%) difference.

This proves that parental interest, not the voucher system, has the greatest impact on kid's education.

6. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    The difference between the 70% rate of the ones who applied & the 91% rate of the ones who applied & used vouchers is also 21%. Vouchers have the exact same observed impact as parent involvement.

More astonishing is the fact that adding parental interest and vouchers did not diminish each others effect. Combining both 21% impacts actually equaled a 42% result. Since we do not have a group of dis-interested parents getting vouchers, I am going to assume that the vouchers play a larger role than the observed measurement. Because adding more stimuluses together usually results in diminishing returns especially as you approach 100%.

7. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Public schools' "magnet" schools could not survive this level of scrutiny.

Parents of students who want to do well will do well anywhere.

Who the hell is the Federal governmentn to tell them they have to stay in crime ridden schools void of any disclipline and standards?

8. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    No.

The 91% number is derived by the logically challenged author,

Indeed 70 + 21 = 91, but this has nothing to do with results.

9. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FS5B-CynM"]Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program[/ame]

10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    because they can skew the figures, they already do. i saw a study a year or so ago that said that the graduation rates most especially in inner city and poorer school districts ( if there are any relatively anymore with federal funds and mandated apportionment) are probably jewked 10% higher, via some mechanisms the districts/ schools employ-

- social promotion by grade, i.e. promoting someone to a higher grade not based on their academic achievement, but because they have fallen 2-3 years behind and didn't rate the promotion scholastically, its a sop to the student who is not being 'socialized' among his/her peers.

-Schools offer after school study halls to wit; if a student does not have enough credits, they show up after school, 'study' and are given credit for the class short circuiting the grade point system and ion fact just giving them credit for just being there.

I saw "Waiting for Superman" this past weekend, one stat. they spoke to which I have seen before ala a studies I have read that address the "self esteem" mantra, apparently kids at the high school level, our kids have the highest 'confidence' ranking in themselves and their abilities despite ranking very low in OECD comparative studies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1