Daughter's Transition

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
First I brag a little...She has it all, good looks, straight A,s, a warm loving heart, a knack for cooking, she's even wrote her first book. She's almost 17 yrs. old and a Junior in high school.

But now, the transition has started, she's got her driving permit, checking out colleges and she's found her first love. I know it's the the way of the world but these transitions just suck.

Damn time.. moves on far too quickly and another is leaving the nest...:(

First I brag a little...She has it all, good looks, straight A,s, a warm loving heart, a knack for cooking, she's even wrote her first book. She's almost 17 yrs. old and a Junior in high school.

But now, the transition has started, she's got her driving permit, checking out colleges and she's found her first love. I know it's the the way of the world but these transitions just suck.

I just went through this with my oldest. She's a sophomore in college. It's hard, isn't it? I was ok with the driving thing (and even more ok when she finally got a car of her own) but that college thing? . . . . :eek: Bittersweet doesn't even come close. There was a time when I seriously thought 'I will never, ever get beyond the Little Tykes/Fisher Price stage'. Boy was I wrong, and especially at how quickly they got beyond it. Still . . . . for me . . . . . things are better now in several ways vs. 10 or 12 years ago.

my son has not slept in my house in over a year...once they are gone they are gone....but they do come back...as grown ups...it is scarey at first....and still is....time just marches on

Heart warming.... heart breaking.

Way past my bedtime, a pleasant good morning..

We have one in college and another who is 16 and very busy with teen activities. We rarely eat dinner as a family anymore and I miss it. Empty nest is gonna suck big time. My husband and I thought we'd travel more when the kids got older, but now with college bills and our 401Ks in the toilet, we are.really tightening our belts. Oh well. There's always USMB and mac and cheese. And lumpy1. Lol

my son has not slept in my house in over a year...once they are gone they are gone....but they do come back...as grown ups...it is scarey at first....and still is....time just marches on

A little over 2 years ago the recruiter came by to pick my son up to take him off to Army life, boy that really sucked. Seems like it wasn't that long ago. Now he's married to a great gal and stationed in Hawaii. Calls still come in on a regular basis but now when we visit he's a man. No longer that wet behind the ears, pain in the neck kid testing my patience. But damn I miss those days.

A little over 2 years ago the recruiter came by to pick my son up to take him off to Army life, boy that really sucked. Seems like it wasn't that long ago. Now he's married to a great gal and stationed in Hawaii. Calls still come in on a regular basis but now when we visit he's a man. No longer that wet behind the ears, pain in the neck kid testing my patience. But damn I miss those days.

You're going to get used to this, they do grow up. You've been waxing nostalgic for a bit now, are you doing Santa for the grandkids?

I can't wait for grandbabies. Just love, spoil, and send them home. I'm so hoping my daughter gets engaged at Christmas. Oldest son too is thinking, planning. However, that's a bit away, just returning to university for MS. Now, got to get the youngest one dating. He broke up with a girl in jr. year and ever since says, 'They're not worth the cost until I have more than I need.' :lol:

You're going to get used to this, they do grow up. You've been waxing nostalgic for a bit now, are you doing Santa for the grandkids?

I can't wait for grandbabies. Just love, spoil, and send them home. I'm so hoping my daughter gets engaged at Christmas. Oldest son too is thinking, planning. However, that's a bit away, just returning to university for MS. Now, got to get the youngest one dating. He broke up with a girl in jr. year and ever since says, 'They're not worth the cost until I have more than I need.' :lol:

The Santa thing, I need to call my oldest daughter and set something up. My youngest of course wants Christmas morning at home.

I do seem to have turned into one melancholy baby lately. I'm guessing that the guy hormones kick in early in life, then hold for a while, then kick ..in or out.. and make some of us soft hearted boobs. I only get cranky for the fun of it...:lol:

Thanks for some insight on your family, judging by your posts, I'm certain their great kids and have received firm and loving preparations for their futures.

My, oh, my.

Well, you take it better than I think I may.

Yeah,

Love You Forever

Love You Forever

by Robert Munsch

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!"

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange friends and he wore strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes the mother felt like she was in a zoo!

But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town. If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Well, that mother, she got older. She got older and older and older. One day she called up her son and said, "You'd better come see me because I'm very old and sick." So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always...

But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Yeah,

Love You Forever

Love You Forever

by Robert Munsch

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!"

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange friends and he wore strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes the mother felt like she was in a zoo!

But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town. If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Well, that mother, she got older. She got older and older and older. One day she called up her son and said, "You'd better come see me because I'm very old and sick." So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang:

I'll love you forever,

But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

:( Sheezz Rub it in , you now what a soft hearted boob I am lately.

That was a great, thanks, I'll save it.

When the wife chokes up... I might feel a little better....:lol:

Yeah,

Love You Forever

Love You Forever

by Robert Munsch

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

I'll love you forever,

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be.

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

That's a WONDERFUL book I bought for my twins when they were about 3 years old....we used to read it at bedtime. We lost both copies in the floods in September. *cry*

Thank you for sharing. I think my twins will be getting new copies for Christmas. :D

a daughter going away to college...i don't know how you do it. Glad I don't have a daughter.

Tell her to stay away from guys like me

True story. I bought that book for my mom, probably 20 years ago. Way before she became ill. The 'child' was a boy, but the message was for both. After she died; some years in family home; 4 years in FL; 2 in my home; a bit less than a year in nursing home; I found the book in her nightstand. My daughter has it now.

It was her. I hope for my kids it's me.

I just went through this with my oldest. She's a sophomore in college. It's hard, isn't it? I was ok with the driving thing (and even more ok when she finally got a car of her own) but that college thing? . . . . :eek: Bittersweet doesn't even come close. There was a time when I seriously thought 'I will never, ever get beyond the Little Tykes/Fisher Price stage'. Boy was I wrong, and especially at how quickly they got beyond it. Still . . . . for me . . . . . things are better now in several ways vs. 10 or 12 years ago.

It's funny when the memories start flowing, the first time you held them and looked into their eyes, the times they sang at the Christmas performance.. damn, what the Hell, this thread is killing me, you get the picture. I'm going to go blow my nose.

Last edited:
We have one in college and another who is 16 and very busy with teen activities. We rarely eat dinner as a family anymore and I miss it. Empty nest is gonna suck big time. My husband and I thought we'd travel more when the kids got older, but now with college bills and our 401Ks in the toilet, we are.really tightening our belts. Oh well. There's always USMB and mac and cheese. And lumpy1. Lol

Nahh, empty nest doesn't suck.
But then my daughters are close.
I have a lunch date scheduled with my youngest tomorrow.

It's funny when the memories start flowing, the first time you held them and looked into there eyes, the times they sang at the Christmas performance.. damn, what the Hell, this thread is killing me, you get the picture. I'm going to go blow my nose.

While I'm not lamenting my kids growing older and more responsible, independent. I'll say the gist of that poem/book leaves me nose blowing too. You've no idea how I cried when I found it, clearing out my mom's possessions. I couldn't share with my dad, nor my kids, not then.

Forum List

Back