Darn scientists trying to save bees. Why? They sting, right?

R

rdean

•Honeybees are important pollinators in agricultural, urban and natural landscapes.
•Bees pollinate about 130 fruit, vegetable, nut, ornamental and fiber crops in the United States, contributing about $15 billion annually through improved crop yield and product quality.
•Hundreds of millions of dollars are additionally generated through the sale of hive products such as honey, wax, pollen, propolis, royal jelly and venom.

Learn more about honeybees - Nightly News - msnbc.com

Scientists suspect corn insecticide in mass bee deaths

FREDERIC, Wi., March 9, 2012 — Bees are nearing a “crises,” prompting the government to spend millions on a massive data base and asking beekeepers on March 27 for advice on how to save them and prevent the nation’s agriculture from collapsing.

“We’re not very far above a crisis or a critical situation,” said Jeffery Pettis, lead bee researcher at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). “We’re operating on a very thin margin as far as meeting pollination demands.”

Government says bees in crisis and funds millions for local solutions | Washington Times Communities

When I read about the Republican "War on Science", the hatred for the EPA and the disdain for scientists, I shudder to think what would happen to this country if their radical stone age agenda was ever realized.

•Honeybees are important pollinators in agricultural, urban and natural landscapes.
•Bees pollinate about 130 fruit, vegetable, nut, ornamental and fiber crops in the United States, contributing about $15 billion annually through improved crop yield and product quality.
•Hundreds of millions of dollars are additionally generated through the sale of hive products such as honey, wax, pollen, propolis, royal jelly and venom.

FREDERIC, Wi., March 9, 2012 — Bees are nearing a “crises,” prompting the government to spend millions on a massive data base and asking beekeepers on March 27 for advice on how to save them and prevent the nation’s agriculture from collapsing.

“We’re not very far above a crisis or a critical situation,” said Jeffery Pettis, lead bee researcher at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). “We’re operating on a very thin margin as far as meeting pollination demands.”

Government says bees in crisis and funds millions for local solutions | Washington Times Communities

When I read about the Republican "War on Science", the hatred for the EPA and the disdain for scientists, I shudder to think what would happen to this country if their radical stone age agenda was ever realized.

Y'know, if you cut out that last paragraph this could have been a rather informative post which could have led to a somewhat educational thread. Instead, it's just another fucked up treatise.

One contributing factor to colony collapse disorder...
:confused:
Pesticides hit queen bee numbers
29 March 2012 - Pesticides are not the whole problem, but some think they could be a significant one
Some of the world's most commonly used pesticides are killing bees by damaging their ability to navigate and reducing numbers of queens, research suggests. Scientific groups in the UK and France studied the effects of neonicotinoids, which are used in more than 100 nations on farm crops and in gardens. The UK team found the pesticides caused an 85% drop in queen production. Writing in the journal Science, the groups note that bee declines in many countries are reducing crop yields. In the UK alone, pollination is calculated to be worth about £430m to the national economy.

And the US is among countries where a succession of local populations has crashed, a syndrome known as Colony Collapse Disorder. Many causes have been suggested, including diseases, parasites, reduction in the range of flowers growing wild in the countryside, pesticides, or a combination of them all. The neonicotinoids investigated in the two Science papers are used on crops such as cereals, oilseed rape and sunflowers.

Often the chemical is applied to seeds before planting. As the plant grows, the pesticide is contained in every part of it, deterring insect pests such as aphids. But it also enters the pollen and nectar, which is how it can affect bees. Dave Goulson from the UK's University of Stirling and colleagues studied the impact of the neonicotinoid imidacloprid on bumblebees. They let bees from some colonies feed on pollen and sugar water containing levels of imidacloprid typically found in the wild, while others received a natural diet. Then they placed the colonies out in the field.

'Severely compromised'

After six weeks, colonies exposed to the pesticide were lighter than the others, suggesting that workers had brought back less food to the hive. But the most dramatic effect was on queen production. The naturally-fed hives produced around 14 queens each - those exposed to the pesticide, just two. "I wouldn't say this proves neonicotinoids are the sole cause of the problems bees face," said Dr Goulson, "but it does suggest they're likely to be one of the causes, and possibly a significant one. "The use of these pesticides is so widespread that most bee colonies in areas of arable farming are likely to be exposed to them, so there is potential for them to be playing a significant role in suppression of bee populations on a pretty staggering scale."

More BBC News - Pesticides hit queen bee numbers

Ending DDT use and the consequent rise in malaria is one of the jewels in the liberal crown.

What the democrats DON'T want you to know.

Parasite turns honey bees into zombies | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Never let a crisis go to waste. Use it, lie about it. Manipulate it.

DDT can still be used to combat malaria. It's agricultural use that's been banned. Besides, years of overuse have led to resistant populations. There are better, though more expensive, pesticides.

DDT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The strange thing is that we used DDT for decades and it never had an affect on bees, but now that we have all these wonderful environmental laws bees are dying off. If I was not a science hating right wing nut job I might wonder if there was some sort of correlation.

One contributing factor to colony collapse disorder...
:confused:
Pesticides hit queen bee numbers
29 March 2012 - Pesticides are not the whole problem, but some think they could be a significant one
Some of the world's most commonly used pesticides are killing bees by damaging their ability to navigate and reducing numbers of queens, research suggests. Scientific groups in the UK and France studied the effects of neonicotinoids, which are used in more than 100 nations on farm crops and in gardens. The UK team found the pesticides caused an 85% drop in queen production. Writing in the journal Science, the groups note that bee declines in many countries are reducing crop yields. In the UK alone, pollination is calculated to be worth about £430m to the national economy.

And the US is among countries where a succession of local populations has crashed, a syndrome known as Colony Collapse Disorder. Many causes have been suggested, including diseases, parasites, reduction in the range of flowers growing wild in the countryside, pesticides, or a combination of them all. The neonicotinoids investigated in the two Science papers are used on crops such as cereals, oilseed rape and sunflowers.

Often the chemical is applied to seeds before planting. As the plant grows, the pesticide is contained in every part of it, deterring insect pests such as aphids. But it also enters the pollen and nectar, which is how it can affect bees. Dave Goulson from the UK's University of Stirling and colleagues studied the impact of the neonicotinoid imidacloprid on bumblebees. They let bees from some colonies feed on pollen and sugar water containing levels of imidacloprid typically found in the wild, while others received a natural diet. Then they placed the colonies out in the field.

'Severely compromised'

After six weeks, colonies exposed to the pesticide were lighter than the others, suggesting that workers had brought back less food to the hive. But the most dramatic effect was on queen production. The naturally-fed hives produced around 14 queens each - those exposed to the pesticide, just two. "I wouldn't say this proves neonicotinoids are the sole cause of the problems bees face," said Dr Goulson, "but it does suggest they're likely to be one of the causes, and possibly a significant one. "The use of these pesticides is so widespread that most bee colonies in areas of arable farming are likely to be exposed to them, so there is potential for them to be playing a significant role in suppression of bee populations on a pretty staggering scale."

More BBC News - Pesticides hit queen bee numbers

I agree wholeheartedly and have been stating this for decades! I worked for a lawn care service franchise after being a asst super for an 18 hole city golf course, and have extensive experience in this field. In fact, I am a licensed applicator still, but now with my own biz and practice applications per label OR using something natural. I will not mention the name of the "mega-corporation" but it is the largest fertilize supplier at retail. It is virtually a monopoly in the field of lawn care.:eusa_shhh:

This growing industry that provides a service that fertilizes and provides pesticide/herbicide treatments for commercial and residential customers is another "for-profit" industry thats only concern is the bottom line. It is all about production be damned anything or anyone else and are imo helping make this problem with the bee populations even more dier. If using granular the bees can pick up the granules carry back to hive. Liquid is even worse for obvious reasons.

I know for a fact they are not worried in the least about doing what the label on the pesticide/herbicide says to do. Most, if not all pesticide labels have specific warnings about using the product during times of the day when bees are active, yet that matters not in a "for-profit" industry. Same goes with labels on over-the-counter pesticides bought at wallyworld, etc. It conflicts with what the mega-corporations WANT, which is to get as many lawns treated/day as possible be damned anything or anyone else. The agriculture field/biz is much worse. They will spray in winds, near water sources, etc. and use very large amounts of solution.

Read and follow those labels folks. Every little bit helps!

DDT never had an effect on bees? Really? Do you know for sure?

Do you know how banned pesticides are disposed of too?

Never let a crisis go to waste. Use it, lie about it. Manipulate it.

Exactly! So why are you taking part in this? Do you know anything about this subject or are you just writing out your ass - again?

Last edited:

(Note to new posters: Please understand that the Koch Brothers pay Rdean good money to post here and make Liberals look like total fucking retards. They say is the most rewarding investment they ever made because one Rdean post will keep them laughing for weeks)

big ag would rather kill bees than use seeds that are not coated with poisons

there is a war on small farmers......brought to you by the amf....

Which is why corporate farming is NOW part owner of this once great nation and NOW helps other mega-corporations rule this nation. It's bound to be a lose lose situation for humankind.

Forum List

Back