Damn, Bill Kristol Is Going After Rumsfield Too

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Dec 15, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I have to say I believe I will be serving under a new defense secretary by June at the rate Rummy is going...

2. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This is absolutely the worst time to express reservations against Rumsfeld.............Especially with Iraq's election coming up. Whatever politicians think of him, he is a brilliant man who has had many years experience. Im disappointed at Kristol in this. He knows better!

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I think he is brilliant but he is also showing shades of "brilliant incompetence"

we will suceed in iraq regardless of what happens to rumsfield, indeed i have to say our going in iraq has likely been tougher because of him, rather than easier.

the tidal wave of criticism is going to build until after the elections, then it will crash on him and he will not be safe even with their success...

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    True but we should not undermine the elections in Iraq by not showing confidence in our military leaders right now. Im sure if Rumsfeld really is messing up as some say he is, then after the elections would be a better time to pig pile on him and at least give him a gracious face saving way out. It's my understanding that Bush has asked him sto stay on and he has accepted? Do I have my facts wrong about that??

5. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I'm still puzzled. I have listened to and read his statements at the meeting where he was ambushed by a sleazy question which had been formulated by a leftist reporter. His answer was factual and honest. How did it get to be arrogant?

How do you support your statements that Rumsfeld was incompetent or that we would have been better off without him? Are you falling victim to the same second-guessing that has been rampant in the left wing press?

How should we have known before hand that Humvees and trucks would become the favorite target for insurget IEDs? Somehow libs love to take current problems and claim that somehow we should have foreseen them. Fact is, these assholes can't even analyze current problems correctly much less peer into the future.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    alright, my main question is this: on armor, IEDS and what not... why the hell has it taken nearly 2 years for them to realize we needed to address this seriously? i could give a grace period of a year or so, but after that, the gloves come off and i'm asking hard questions on the behalf of the soldiers over there who are getting the shaft from the civilians at DOD.

as you'll see from the example above, when leaders are on the ball, things can get revamped and upgraded/innovated very quickly.

several smaller examples: we had a continuing problem during firefighting drills of a device on our firefighting ensemble not working the way it was supposed to because the training folks were recieving was inaccurate, as well as the material the device was designed with being too cumbersome...

short story: within 3 months after our XO forwarded a memo to navsurface warfare center, the device was remade into something lighter and the training revamped...

change can get done quickly, when folks are on the ball and paying attention.

it just seems to me on too many things in iraq rumsfield and those with him have been behind the curve, often behind the military's own observations and experiences there, not what some loudmouth in the media or academia was saying

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well said..........LOL

8. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Why's that?

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I already explained that those who really think this, should not be saying so until after the Iraqi elections, as it sends a bad message of undermining our confidence in our miltiary leaders. McCain is simply doing it now to keep his face in circulation, he likes to think of himself as a "cuting edge" kind of guy at Rumfeld's expense.

10. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I apologize for revivifying an old thread--but I've been out of town for a week.

Bonnie, I think the best way we can show who we are and what we stand for is by having an open society and an open debate, which even includes critiquing our leaders.

What you're calling for--that everyone steps into line and repeats what the gov't says--isn't democracy, it's fascism. When Iraqis see that we can even question our own leaders, I believe it advertises us very positively.

Things seem to be getting hotter for Rumsfeld daily, with many conservative Republicans expressing ill-confidence. Trent Lott too, which really surprised me.

I'm not sure why you guys think he's so brilliant. What has he done right? Let's see, he misjudged the size of the forces required, misjudged the effectivness of fast-moving battle techniques, misjudged the chance of an insurgency appearing, misjudged the requirements for securing everything for museums to arms against looting, misjudged the requirements of occupation... and made gaffe after gaffe when speaking in public. And the whole while he's resisted his own president's leadership around intelligence reform, because it would have reduced his own dept's power, embarrassing Bush badly a couple of weeks ago.

Remind me again what he's actually done well?

Mariner