Damn Animal Planet to Hell...

whoa back up the short bus...did the op really think there were or are mermaids?

Yeah -- I admit i was suckered thru the entire 2 hours. Because it was on Animal Planet - my bullshit filter was turned waaaaay down. Part of the fraud succeeded because even tho I KNEW that it was largely computer graphics and "reconstructed" with actors, the story of recovering MULTIPLE unknown mammals with closer ties to humans (call them mermaids if you want to) was credible given that NOAA would be large player in the investigation of whale strandings. Also credible was the audio evidence (turns out to be the only REAL part of the story) -- because I have some past career experience with marine mammal hydrophone sounds. The idea that the Navy would want to quelch the discovery of the new species because the public would DEMAND they shut down the sonar experiments causing the mass strandings was also a credible part of the plot.

The only thing I could rationally criticize after my wasted 2 hours -- was the fact that when the "govt" shut them down and confiscated the evidence, according to the story, they already shipped materials to 4 or so outside researchers. So skull reconstructions, DNA, CAT scan stuff would be OUTSIDE their investigation. The proverbial "cat out of the bag".

So don't put me on the short bus. I wasn't buying whole hog. But dam -- it was fiction parading as mostly real.. Besides -- I've whipped myself enough now for being so gullible and becoming a fraud victim....

"But if like ME -- you missed the opening credits or ditched the closing credits, ...."

That's funny.

Might be the closest I'll see to a War of the Worlds parallel in my lifetime.

Forum List

Back