Dads Also Suffer from Postpartum Depression

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
It's Not Just Moms Who Suffer Postpartum Depression
By LEE BOWMAN, Scripps Howard News Service
24-JUN-05

Depression in new moms is a well-known concern for doctors and family members, but a new British study shows that having a dad who suffers postnatal depression increases the risk of behavioral and emotional problems for young children, particularly boys.

Youngsters born to dads identified with depression were more than twice as likely to have behavioral development problems in early childhood than those born to fathers who were not depressed, according to the study published Friday in the British medical journal The Lancet.

The researchers studied more than 13,500 mothers from the Bristol area of England taking part in a long-term survey of parents and children. More than 12,800 had male partners. Mothers and fathers were assessed for depression eight weeks after the birth of their baby using an established questionnaire, and fathers were assessed again at 21 months.

The children's emotional and behavioral development at age 3 1/2 was measured through another questionnaire completed by their mothers.
Overall, about 10 percent of the mothers and 4 percent of the fathers were classified with significant depression symptoms.

This falls within the range of paternal postpartum depression cited in a review last year by Janice Goodman of Boston College. She found 20 studies, most of them small, done over the past two decades that suggest 1 percent to 25 percent of new dads suffer from depression, with rates even higher for men whose partners were also experiencing depression.

For full article:
http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?actions=detail&pk=DEPRESSEDADS-06-24-05

Scroll down to "Featured News Stories", DEPRESSED DADS.

That is what happened to Russell Yates. He kept wanting to have more kids, even though he was warned that his wife, Andrea, would suffer serious negative psychological effects if she had another kid.
Russell had his way. Andrea had another kid. Then killed all of them.
Andrea is in jail. Russell is out looking for a woman to have more kids with.

Gabriella84 said:
That is what happened to Russell Yates. He kept wanting to have more kids, even though he was warned that his wife, Andrea, would suffer serious negative psychological effects if she had another kid.

Aren't women strong enough to stand up for themselves? She's complicit too. If she isn't then women can never be trusted to take care of themselves and must be protected, like children. WHich is it?

Gabriella84 said:

Firstly, everyone runs the risk of PPD after having a child. Secondly, blamming the husband was part of her defense. Thirdly, many people who suffer from PPD have good days and bad days that can turn into weeks as they begin to recover, meaning she could have have extended periods of wellnes when they decided to have the fifth baby. When the fog lifts, and you are in a "good" phase, you often think you're better. And lastly, I would have KILLED my daughter's father if he did that to her, regardless of his mental condition. Making him suffer would be a pleasure. I'm not as forgiving as Russell was at first, maybe I'm weird that way.

Personally, I think they should have stopped after the suicide attempts, but again, being on medication may have also caused Andrea to feel she was "well".

Andrea Yates was part of one of those ultra-hardline Christian sects that believed that the wife was totally submissive to her husband. She didn't have a will or a backbone like a normal woman does.
When Andrea had her fourth child, she suffered some of the same post-partum depressive symptoms. She talked of suicide and killing her children. She was admitted to a psychiatric unit, where she and Russell were warned not to have anymore children.
Despite all this, Russell still wanted more kids. He had this weird obsession with having a large family. In one of his many psycho babbles after Andrea was jailed, he talked of "bringing Andrea back home and re-starting our family."
I feel Russell is just as guilty of the deaths of the Yates kids as Andrea. She was and is mentally ill. Russell's decision to have a fifth child signed the death warrant for all of them.

Gabriella84 said:
Andrea Yates was part of one of those ultra-hardline Christian sects that believed that the wife was totally submissive to her husband. She didn't have a will or a backbone like a normal woman does.
When Andrea had her fourth child, she suffered some of the same post-partum depressive symptoms. She talked of suicide and killing her children. She was admitted to a psychiatric unit, where she and Russell were warned not to have anymore children.
Despite all this, Russell still wanted more kids. He had this weird obsession with having a large family. In one of his many psycho babbles after Andrea was jailed, he talked of "bringing Andrea back home and re-starting our family."
I feel Russell is just as guilty of the deaths of the Yates kids as Andrea. She was and is mentally ill. Russell's decision to have a fifth child signed the death warrant for all of them.

I can't say I've heard of any [legitimate] obsession Russell may have had with having children. I will also say that Andrea was as deeply invovled in their religous beliefs as he was "my children weren't righteous". And medication really does fool people into thinking they are "better" that's why so many go of their meds in the first place. Being psych major, I would think you've come across that in your studies more than once (not to be facetious or anything :rolleyes: )

Even IF their religious beliefs taught them not to limit the size of the their family (in order to keep the Christian faith alive....common propaganda) it would make perfect sense for them to continue when they felt she was well enough to have another child. In reality, I think their religious beliefs are actually against birth control, which may also explain the fifth pregnance also. I've also read they weren't affliliated with any church, so who knows for sure, right?

People are so quick to blame him, not realizing that making him look like a mind controlling pig, contributing to her insanity was part of her DEFENSE.

Gabriella84 said:
She didn't have a will or a backbone like a normal woman does.

Do you realize what an insulting little piglet you are, grabby?

Gabriella84 said:
Yes. Thanks for noticing. :gives:

You're terrific!

wilbur.jpg

GotZoom said:
I bet Tom Cruise won't have PPD.

He'll exercise, chant a few things and be good to go.

I think he played himself in that movie where he was a "guru". I forget what it was called, or was that a different interveiw?

Said1 said:
I think he played himself in that movie where he was a "guru". I forget what it was called, or was that a different interveiw?

can't help ya but somebody needs to hit that manic SOB with a tranq---can't we just lose this dude in Aruba ?

dilloduck said:
can't help ya but somebody needs to hit that manic SOB with a tranq---can't we just lose this dude in Aruba ?

I think if his child was in serious mental condition, he would cave a pick meds. People will do anything for their kids most of the time. He's probably high on green tea or ephedra (SP??) anyway. I've also heard middle age men shouldn't take ginkobibloba (SP?? again) if the have a history of depression. :D

Said1 said:

Movie was Magnolia. He played some kind of self-help guru.

He was also a doctor in Eyes Wide Shut.

www.imdb.com is a wonderful thing.

Forum List

Back