Da Vinci VS Michelangelo: Who WINS?

One day, Leonardo da Vinci was passing through the Piazza Santa Trinita in Florence. Some gentlemen were debating Dante in front of the Spini family palace. They called Leonardo over and asked him to explain the passage they were puzzling over, but just at that moment Michelangelo happened to come along and Leonardo instead suggested that the sculptor elucidate it.

This proposal annoyed Michelangelo. Instead of discoursing on Dante, he addressed Leonardo in the disrespectful "tu" form, and snapped back, "You explain it yourself, you who made the design of a horse to be cast in bronze, but who was unable to cast it." With that, he strode away, leaving Leonardo standing there, "made red in the face by his words".

Michelangelo had touched a sensitive spot. His rival's frequent failure to finish works – the horse in question was the gigantic monument Leonardo had begun in Milan – was due, he was alleging, to artistic deficiency. Leonardo couldn't do it.

And this is how it happened...

Personally I find Da Vinci being a dick here. Insulting Michelangelo like he did, was uncalled for. Shows his level...

That's hardly authentic. In the first place, daVinci was lefthanded.

That doesn't prevent him from being a dick, does it?

im sure angelo was a dick also....i saw it in a film about him....

But Michelangelo have a reason to be a dick;
Da vinci talking behind his back, discrediting his art and work...
Rafael on the other hand turning people against him and getting him fired...
Following these 2 influential and charismatic assholes, even Pope turns against him...

He has all the reasons to be pissed, imo.

Michelangelo is the traditionalist and conservative of his time,
While Da Vinci is the progressive and liberal...

Politics :)

Hmmmm there was nothing 'conservative' or 'traditionalist' about Michelangelo.

Or Da Vinci- or Rafael- they were all 'radicals' of the day- the Renaissance was a radical movement.

Frankly I find this insistence that they be judged- or that one was a 'dick' (both were rather famous for their ill-temper) kind of misses the point.

Michelangelo was an extraordinary artist- and his works are breathtaking.
Leonardo was also an extraordinary artist- who greatly influenced art- especially painting, but even more so than Michelangelo embodies the ideal of a 'renaissance man'- he was a painter, and sculptor, inventor, architect, engineer.

That the two of them and Raphael lived and worked in Florence at the same time shows where the focus of the renaissance was at that point of time.

Or Da Vinci- or Rafael- they were all 'radicals' of the day- the Renaissance was a radical movement.

Frankly I find this insistence that they be judged- or that one was a 'dick' (both were rather famous for their ill-temper) kind of misses the point.

Leonardo was also an extraordinary artist- who greatly influenced art- especially painting, but even more so than Michelangelo embodies the ideal of a 'renaissance man'- he was a painter, and sculptor, inventor, architect, engineer.

That the two of them and Raphael lived and worked in Florence at the same time shows where the focus of the renaissance was at that point of time.

It seems to me, both Davinci and Rafael were looking down to Michelangelo, because he was a troubled antisocial person, which makes him a more profound artist, rather than an experimenter, which is what Davinci was more or less.

Again it seems to me the argument was between the new school humanism, where humans being in the center of the universe vs old school traditional thinking where the gods and angels being in the center... Michelangelo being a part of the later, as opposed to the other 2 artists...

And when you are thinking you are the center of the universe, then inevitably, you become more of an arrogant selfish dick...

It seems to me, both Davinci and Rafael were looking down to Michelangelo, because he was a troubled antisocial person, which makes him a more profound artist, rather than an experimenter, which is what Davinci was more or less.

Again it seems to me the argument was between the new school humanism, where humans being in the center of the universe vs old school traditional thinking where the gods and angels being in the center... Michelangelo being a part of the later, as opposed to the other 2 artists...

And when you are thinking you are the center of the universe, then inevitably, you become more of an arrogant selfish dick...

Why would Michelangelo being a 'troubled antisocial person' make him a more profound artist?

The Renaissance was all about Humanism- including Michelangelo.

Michelango's works were only nominally about God- and far more about humans

This is not venerating God- this is venerating the human form- and humanity.
=
220px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

Why would Michelangelo being a 'troubled antisocial person' make him a more profound artist?

The Renaissance was all about Humanism- including Michelangelo.

Michelango's works were only nominally about God- and far more about humans

This is not venerating God- this is venerating the human form- and humanity.
=
220px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

But this is David. He is more or less a god.

And this is Davincis masterpiece on the other hand

687px-Mona_Lisa,_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci,_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg

The wife of a baker...

One day, Leonardo da Vinci was passing through the Piazza Santa Trinita in Florence. Some gentlemen were debating Dante in front of the Spini family palace. They called Leonardo over and asked him to explain the passage they were puzzling over, but just at that moment Michelangelo happened to come along and Leonardo instead suggested that the sculptor elucidate it.

This proposal annoyed Michelangelo. Instead of discoursing on Dante, he addressed Leonardo in the disrespectful "tu" form, and snapped back, "You explain it yourself, you who made the design of a horse to be cast in bronze, but who was unable to cast it." With that, he strode away, leaving Leonardo standing there, "made red in the face by his words".

Michelangelo had touched a sensitive spot. His rival's frequent failure to finish works – the horse in question was the gigantic monument Leonardo had begun in Milan – was due, he was alleging, to artistic deficiency. Leonardo couldn't do it.

Personally I find Da Vinci being a dick here. Insulting Michelangelo like he did, was uncalled for. Shows his level...

Following these 2 influential and charismatic assholes, even Pope turns against him...

the guy who did the story you are talking about also said it kinda sounded like mikey was jealous of leo.....leo was 23 years older than mikey and had a lot more accomplishments,leo was a polymath who not only did great paintings but also invented things and was into architecture,science,music,mathmatics,engineering,literature,anatomy,geology,astronomy,botany,history and cartography.....he has been called the father of paleontology,ichnology and architecture.....i can see why mickey was a tad jealous....

the guy who did the story you are talking about also said it kinda sounded like mikey was jealous of leo.....leo was 23 years older than mikey and had a lot more accomplishments,leo was a polymath who not only did great paintings but also invented things and was into architecture,science,music,mathmatics,engineering,literature,anatomy,geology,astronomy,botany,history and cartography.....he has been called the father of paleontology,ichnology and architecture.....i can see why mickey was a tad jealous....

The vice versa is also possible; Davinci is older than Michelangelo, and everybody talking about what a great artist this new young Michelangelo is. He has no charisma, he barely showers, he is antisocial, but does amazing sculpting and painting, better than the invincible and accomplished Davinci...

Pretty common among celebrities...

The vice versa is also possible; Davinci is older than Michelangelo, and everybody talking about what a great artist this new young Michelangelo is. He has no charisma, he barely showers, he is antisocial, but does amazing sculpting and painting, better than the invincible and accomplished Davinci...

you are also basing this thread on something that probably never happened......

This is an incredibly silly assertion. Michelangelo was probably high functioning Aspergers. That in no way makes his work "more profound" hat is simply ridiculous.

I don't think that Da Vinci ever considered himself invincible. I think you are merely trolling now. That or you are a serious Michelangelo groupie striving for discord for your own personal need.

I don't think that Da Vinci ever considered himself invincible. I think you are merely trolling now. That or you are a serious Michelangelo groupie striving for discord for your own personal need.
also Michelangelo, according to what i read about his personal life, was a recluse and it said he had very little to do, if any, with Leonardo or Raphael even though they lived in the same era....

also Michelangelo, according to what i read about his personal life, was a recluse and it said he had very little to do, if any, with Leonardo or Raphael even though they lived in the same era....

Yep. Geniuses are like that.

This is an incredibly silly assertion. Michelangelo was probably high functioning Aspergers. That in no way makes his work "more profound" hat is simply ridiculous.

You may think so, but if you look at the general characteristics of the great artists, they are "troubled" one way or another. That's what gives them the edge.

What makes them troubled, is because they are not accepted. No matter how good and talented they are, general population has no way of telling that. They are mostly being rejected by a society that are unaware of their talents. And once that happens, they have a story to tell at that point, which makes them more "profound", because their work has a substance...

There are plenty of examples to that. Can find some here;

The dark side of creativity - CNN.com

First rule of being an "extraordinary" artist is being "extraordinary"... People having happy peaceful lives usually don't turn out to be such...

How do you know?

Any man, with such accomplishments, would see himself invincible, regardless...

Yes, trolling an "art" topic...

Forum List

Back