Crossing the Empty Quarter: British explorer Mark Evans to follow the footsteps of Bertram Thomas

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't think I would want to chance it walking across the Mojave Desert.

Crossing the Empty Quarter: British explorer Mark Evans to follow the footsteps of Bertram Thomas
By freelance reporter Marcus George in Salalah, Oman

Updated yesterday at 10:21pm

PHOTO: Mark Evans and Omani colleagues Mohammed al-Zadjali and Amour bin Ali bin Majeed Al Wahaibi have begun a 1,300km journey on foot across the Empty Quarter. (Supplied: Marcus George)
MAP: Oman
The planning is over, the farewells said and the adventure has begun. Three men walk purposefully across the wide, dusty plain that stretches towards a crest of hills surrounding the town of Salalah in the deep south of Oman.

I'm here for day one of an intrepid 1,300-kilometres journey by Oman-based British explorer Mark Evans and two Omani colleagues who are attempting to cross the Empty Quarter — Rub al Khali in Arabic.

It is the world's largest sand desert and stretches across the southern Arabian peninsula.

The group is retracing the route taken by a relatively unknown British civil servant, Bertram Thomas, in 1930. He overcame threats from warring tribes and scarce water supplies to make the epic journey from Salalah through Saudi Arabia to the tiny Gulf kingdom of Qatar

Continue reading at:

Explorer to trek 1,300km through world's largest desert

Forum List

Back