Critical Thinking, a Primer

Did you read the link

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Because typo, that's why. :D

Yes I read it.

Ever read the article from the link in my signature?

Basically, the schools have dumbed the population down by not using the

Socratic method of teaching.

It's a fairly recent occurrence.

I was using my newly acquired critical thinking skills.

• Banned

I don't do online polls after seeing how they can be skewed or knowing that if you click on any link inside of someones website like that you can be spammed or hacked.

Search: false narrative definition and open the link "Carl Sagan's logical fallacies. I too am cautious when opening a link.

I don't do online polls after seeing how they can be skewed or knowing that if you click on any link inside of someones website like that you can be spammed or hacked.
I should have said USMB polls being an exception as I have posted here for years and not had any issues.

Really? Brain Pickings is phishing?
No I read the article. I should have been more clear on what I wrote...my brain is off elsewhere this morning.

Without any critical thinking at all I determined OP linked to an excellent article. Only because my school, BGSU in beautiful Bowling Green, Ohio is mentioned.

As far as critical thinking of media goes, I think it is important to judge headlines and any editorializing to the facts presented in the article. Then if I have further doubts I'll look for an alternative source of information and make a judgement and a comparison between the two. I hardly ever go beyond that.

I find on-line sources are particularly bad about headlines. I know their primary motive is to serve as bait clicks, but it has gotten ridiculous on some sites.

"Lastly, itā€™s important for critical thinkers to ask, What is the other side of this issue?ā€”though as Levitin points out, it is also a good idea to ask, Is there another side? As he explains: ā€œThere is not another side to the question of whether we really landed on the moon. We did.ā€ Treating established facts and historical events as issues up for debate is not critical thinking; it is ignoring reality."

Ignoring reality. If that one thing were done away with most of the problems at hand would be solved. But many do ignore reality. The next article should be 'how do people and organizations get other people to ignore reality?' Repetition, appeal to ignorance, appeal to authority, 'the big lie' as opposed to many small lies. In other words through supsension of critical thinking.

Coupled with a small brain and an eagerness to smear your enemies.

False stories are not hard to pick up. When the source is anonymous or 'he's reported to have said' or they offer only opinion with nothing to back it up besides assertions supported by allegations. The left gobbles that shit up all day long and begs for more.

Coupled with a small brain and an eagerness to smear your enemies.

False stories are not hard to pick up. When the source is anonymous or 'he's reported to have said' or they offer only opinion with nothing to back it up besides assertions supported by allegations. The left gobbles that shit up all day long and begs for more.

The archetype - Deep Throat - kinda puts the use of anonymity into reality - the need to protect oneself and their family vis a vis doing the right thing can be precarious. Especially when the person exposed has power and the mores of a large reptile.

As a concrete thinker, iceweasel has once again fumbled in his(?) efforts to become credible, echo's of a meme is the best he has ever offered.

Last edited:

???????????

Perhaps not in your state, Unk, but it has happened in others.

My theory is that it's dependent on how much "bonus money" they want from the Fed block grants.

^It's just a theory.

???????????

Perhaps not in your state, Unk, but it has happened in others.

My theory is that it's dependent on how much "bonus money" they want from the Fed block grants.

^It's just a theory.

The effort to dumb down American Citizens began with the Traditional Values Coalition (Falwell and Robertson's collaboration with the GOP) and their effort in the late 70's and early 80's to pack school boards with social conservatives. This method worked, and continues in the South and many other Red States and isolated counties / school districts in Blue and Purple States.

Forum List

Back