Creationism: The Latest In Military Suicide Prevention

Discussion in 'Military' started by YWN666, Dec 1, 2008.

1. YWN666

YWN666 Freelance Beer Tester Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Daily Kos: Creationism: The Latest In Military Suicide Prevention

by Chris Rodda
    Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 07:54:13 AM PST

Here at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), we get countless complaints about religiously based mental health and counseling programs, which, over the past few years, have been systematically replacing proven psychological and medical approaches to a multitude of issues faced by military personnel. I've seen so many truly insane, not to mention blatantly unconstitutional, ways that the military is playing with the mental well being of our troops since I began working for MRFF that I really didn't think it was possible for me to be surprised by anything anymore. Then I was sent a PowerPoint presentation by an airman at RAF Lakenheath, the largest U.S. Air Force base in England. On the MRFF scale of classifying by various expletives the egregiousness level of things that are reported to us -- "holy crap," "holy shit," and "holy f..." -- this one, promoting creationism as a means of preventing suicide among our military personnel, was definitely a "holy f..."

Chris Rodda's diary :: ::
    In March 2008, this presentation, titled "A New Approach To Suicide Prevention: Developing Purpose-Driven Airmen," was shown at a commander's call that was mandatory for an estimated 1,000 of Lakenheath's Air Force personnel, and sent out by email to the entire base of over 5,000 the following day. As the use of the phrase "Purpose-Driven" in its title implies, also incorporated into this presentation is the wisdom of presidential candidate inquisitor Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, a book that, second only to the Bible itself, is the most heavily promoted religious book in the military.

Following a slide stating, "Dr. Rick WarrenÂ’s book, The Purpose Driven Life, provides a powerful model for Suicide Prevention, developing leaders, and making troops combat ready and effective," the author of the presentation, Air Force chaplain Capt. Christian Biscotti, brings up Charles Darwin for the first time in defining what he calls "3 Levels of Purpose."

Follow the link for the entire article.

Biscotti is full of hot air.

2. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Thanks for highlighting Daily Kos at the beginning of the article. I didn't waste my time reading it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. YWN666

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Are you saying that the Daily Kos falsified the quotes and manufactured the PowerPoint presentation that was being discussed?

4. Skeptik

Skeptik Astute observer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have to admit I've never read The Purpose Driven Life.

Does it have some connection to "Creationism", or is the connection purely fabricated as a way of serving an anti religion agenda?

Just wondering.

5. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

If they thought they could get away with it, yes. Why take the chance.

6. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I would not completely discount this issue. The guy I date is a high-ranking officer in the Navy. We've had many discussions on how powerful fundamentalist Christianity is in the military right now.

7. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Purpose Driven Life is a Christian book. This is religious nationalism promoted by the military.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
  8. YWN666

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    But you'd believe the quotes and facts if they were reported by someone like Rush Limbaugh?

9. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Rush is a commentator. He doesn't report the news, he editorializes. It's an important distinction.

Both sides spin their fact to be sypathetic to their agenda. IMHO, best not to use either as a "news source".

10. YWN666

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    How can you spin exact words quoted in the story? How do you fake links to the material described in the article? The article I posted wasn't just an opinion piece, it reported facts.