“cradle Democrats”, OFA volunteers get a dose of the new reality

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
yes yes, another story:eek: I am posting this because it appears totally on the up and up and well documented, bona fide Obama supporters etc. , I heard it on the radio this morning too so I looked for it.

I am going to snip viciously to stay within the confines of the link quote rule, and hit the high notes, so please, read the article if you are going to comment....

Loyal Obama Supporters, Canceled by Obamacare

by Charles Ornstein
ProPublica, Nov. 6, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

San Francisco architect Lee Hammack says he and his wife, JoEllen Brothers, are “cradle Democrats.” They have donated to the liberal group Organizing for America and worked the phone banks a year ago for President Obama’s re-election.

snip-

The couple — Lee, 60, and JoEllen, 59 — have been paying $550 a month for their health coverage — a plan that offers solid coverage, not one of the skimpy plans Obama has criticized. But recently, Kaiser informed them the plan would be canceled at the end of the year because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.

snip-

I asked Hammack to send me details of his current plan. It carried a $4,000 deductible per person, a $40 copay for doctor visits, a $150 emergency room visit fee and 30 percent coinsurance for hospital stays after the deductible. The out-of-pocket maximum was $5,600.

This plan was ending, Kaiser’s letters told them, because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. “Everything is taken care of,” the letters said. “There’s nothing you need to do.”

The letters said the couple would be enrolled in new Kaiser plans that would cost nearly $1,300 a month for the two of them (more than $15,000 a year).

And for that higher amount, what would they get? A higher deductible ($4,500), a higher out-of-pocket maximum ($6,350), higher hospital costs (40 percent of the cost) and possibly higher costs for doctor visits and drugs.

When they shopped around and looked for a different plan on California's new health insurance marketplace, Covered California, the cheapest one was $975, with hefty deductibles and copays.

snip-

Wright said discussions should focus on how to provide consumers like Hammack with assistance if they barely miss qualifying for subsidies.

So what is Hammack going to do? If his income were to fall below four times the federal poverty level, or about $62,000 for a family of two, he would qualify for subsidies that could lower his premium cost to as low as zero. If he makes even one dollar more, he gets nothing.

more at-

Loyal Obama Supporters, Canceled by Obamacare - ProPublica

I added emphasis to the sentence where in Consumer advocate Anthony Wright speculates on focusing on consumers who " barely miss qualifying for subsidies".
Well, imho thats totally arbitrary to the law and not very fair, whats 'barely':eusa_eh:....how do you quantify that? 1K 4K 8K? These folks got hosed, yes, well, they should write their congressman;)

The progressive agenda isn't quite so attractive when it shits in your living room, huh?

Or your wallet which many are finding out very quickly.

“For example, a father from Rancho Mirage called and said: ‘I work three jobs to pay the bills for my wife and daughter. I got a letter that my plan is going from $420 to $943. I went to HealthCare.Gov, then Covered California. I researched my premiums. A policy almost identical to my old one is being offered for $863. I’m now being forced to come up with over $400 a month with 30 days’ notice. Let me spell it out: I do not have the income to afford this.’

Dianne Feinstein joins effort to change Affordable Care Act - Politics Blog

Forum List

Back