Court: It’s too hard for independents to make Mich. ballot

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Michigan’s requirement that independent statewide candidates collect at least 30,000 valid voter signatures is unconstitutional, a federal appeals court ruled 2-1 Monday, upholding a lower judge.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision kept intact a 12,000-signature threshold set by District Judge Victoria Roberts in 2019. The case began in 2018, when state attorney general candidate Chris Graveline’s name was ordered on the ballot after he and some voters sued.

Judges Karen Nelson Moore and Ronald Lee Gilman said the combination of the 30,000-signature minimum, a requirement that at least 100 come from half of 14 congressional districts and the state’s July filing deadline “imposes a severe burden on independent candidates.” Only five states have a higher signature requirement, according to the majority. The 2018 filing deadline came 50 days before major-party candidates for attorney general, who did not have to submit signatures, were nominated at conventions.

It still felt like it should be exciting. I would like to believe that this could signal a movement in a different direction.

It's ok. I'm awake now. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Last edited:
R and D are guilty of keeping others off the ballots-

This is a link I visit occasionally that posts different Party news, etc.

Yes, they are. It's horrendous. Nice little link with a nice little write up on HR1 campaign finance loophole. Thanks.

Michigan’s requirement that independent statewide candidates collect at least 30,000 valid voter signatures is unconstitutional, a federal appeals court ruled 2-1 Monday, upholding a lower judge.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision kept intact a 12,000-signature threshold set by District Judge Victoria Roberts in 2019. The case began in 2018, when state attorney general candidate Chris Graveline’s name was ordered on the ballot after he and some voters sued.

Judges Karen Nelson Moore and Ronald Lee Gilman said the combination of the 30,000-signature minimum, a requirement that at least 100 come from half of 14 congressional districts and the state’s July filing deadline “imposes a severe burden on independent candidates.” Only five states have a higher signature requirement, according to the majority. The 2018 filing deadline came 50 days before major-party candidates for attorney general, who did not have to submit signatures, were nominated at conventions.

It still felt like it should be exciting. I would like to believe that this could signal a movement in a different direction.
After reading your post Disir, I checked out which other states really don't like the idea of having inde's on their ballots. North Carolina requires minimum of 19,969 (what's up with not just going with 20,000 or cutting it off at 19,000? Must be someone into numerology over that dept) :p

After reading your post Disir, I checked out which other states really don't like the idea of having inde's on their ballots. North Carolina requires minimum of 19,969 (what's up with not just going with 20,000 or cutting it off at 19,000? Must be someone into numerology over that dept) :p
I actually did LOL @ numerology.

Forum List

Back