Could it Happen Here-U.S. Fault Lines..

AmericasBrave58

Retired USN Nurse(Vietnam
Dec 31, 2009
Seattle,Washington
Haiti Earthquake and U.S. Fault Lines: Could It Happen in America? - ABC News

:eek::( Hell!!!! yeah!!! it could. I was in the North Ridge Earth Quake in California, and everything folded like a house of cards, and also i was in the one in North Bay area of San Francisco, right on the 4th floor of my apartment building, the ceiling cracked and crumbled and all hell broke lose,even the Oakland Bay bridge did a nose dive. That was in October, 1989, Loma Prietta Earth Quake a 7.0.So yeah it can happen to us right here at home. I have been in 7 Earth Quakes in my whole life time, here in the US.

I was in Canoga Park, near the Topanga Mall, for the Northridge quake. I'll never forget it. That was by far the most severe shaker I experienced.

yea i was in a few good ones myself....the last 5 pointer we had was centered in Chino Hills....i work about ten miles from were it was centered.....and it felt WORSE than the Northridge.....it knocked me back into my mail truck which i had just stepped out off and it literally knocked two women talking to each other off their feet....so i can imagine people close to the Epicenters of the 6-7 pointers.....but one thing for certain.....as the late Hawk of the Road Warriors used to say.....WHOOOOOO WHAT A RUSH!!!!....

yea i was in a few good ones myself....the last 5 pointer we had was centered in Chino Hills....i work about ten miles from were it was centered.....and it felt WORSE than the Northridge.....it knocked me back into my mail truck which i had just stepped out off and it literally knocked two women talking to each other off their feet....so i can imagine people close to the Epicenters of the 6-7 pointers.....but one thing for certain.....as the late Hawk of the Road Warriors used to say.....WHOOOOOO WHAT A RUSH!!!!....

I always enjoyed a good shaker. This really pissed off my wife. She hates them and I'd be laughing and all excited. It's a wonder we're still married, come to think of it...

I was in Canoga Park, near the Topanga Mall, for the Northridge quake. I'll never forget it. That was by far the most severe shaker I experienced.

:eek: I was riding on a Greyhound bus from North Bay SanFrancisco, and pulling into the greyhound bus station in Northridge station!!! I liked to have pooped my drawers sitting in the middle of the bus,and no way to get off. That scared the Be-Jesus!! out of me. I have been in 7 Earth Quakes in my 60 years of living, 2 in Seattle, and 1 in Portland, and 4 in California. I guess you could say, that i am numb!!! when and if another one strikes again.The one in Northridge and the Loma Preetta 7.0 in San Francisco 10/1989.

:eek::( Hell!!!! yeah!!! it could. I was in the North Ridge Earth Quake in California, and everything folded like a house of cards, and also i was in the one in North Bay area of San Francisco, right on the 4th floor of my apartment building, the ceiling cracked and crumbled and all hell broke lose,even the Oakland Bay bridge did a nose dive. That was in October, 1989, Loma Prietta Earth Quake a 7.0.So yeah it can happen to us right here at home. I have been in 7 Earth Quakes in my whole life time, here in the US.

You live too close to me for my comfort.

This area between Vancouver BC And Central OR is one of the most eerily quiet places on the ring of fire. The worst quake in this area that I can recall was a 5.8 back in 94.

Most structures in this area are a lot better designed and built than what you see in Haiti. The damage in SF during the World Series Quake was a lot smaller than what we see in Haiti, even though the sizes of the quakes were comparable

But... it has been a long time since the last big quake in this area, and indian legends talk of a quake back in the early 1700s that raised the earth along the coast about two feet. Guesses are that it was a magnitude 9

wiki said:
1700: Vancouver Island, Canada
Main article: 1700 Cascadia earthquake

On January 26, 1700, the Cascadia earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes on record (estimated MW 9 magnitude), ruptured the Cascadia subduction zone (CSZ) offshore from Vancouver Island to northern California, and caused a massive tsunami across the Pacific Northwest logged in Japan and oral traditions of the Native Americans. Brian F. Atwater, Musumi-Rokkaku Satoko, Satake Kenji, Tsuji Yoshinobu, Ueda Kazue, and David K. Yamaguch prepared a "scientific detective story" investigating this tsunami entitled The Orphan Tsunami of 1700—Japanese Clues to a Parent Earthquake in North America. This document is downloadable and available online.

Just say I will never live on White Pass in Washington State, it is right in the shadow of Rainer. We had a small tremor two days after the Haiti earthquake, and I think we had one a few days before.

This area between Vancouver BC And Central OR is one of the most eerily quiet places on the ring of fire. The worst quake in this area that I can recall was a 5.8 back in 94.

Most structures in this area are a lot better designed and built than what you see in Haiti. The damage in SF during the World Series Quake was a lot smaller than what we see in Haiti, even though the sizes of the quakes were comparable

But... it has been a long time since the last big quake in this area, and indian legends talk of a quake back in the early 1700s that raised the earth along the coast about two feet. Guesses are that it was a magnitude 9

wiki said:

On January 26, 1700, the Cascadia earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes on record (estimated MW 9 magnitude), ruptured the Cascadia subduction zone (CSZ) offshore from Vancouver Island to northern California, and caused a massive tsunami across the Pacific Northwest logged in Japan and oral traditions of the Native Americans. Brian F. Atwater, Musumi-Rokkaku Satoko, Satake Kenji, Tsuji Yoshinobu, Ueda Kazue, and David K. Yamaguch prepared a "scientific detective story" investigating this tsunami entitled The Orphan Tsunami of 1700—Japanese Clues to a Parent Earthquake in North America. This document is downloadable and available online.

The say Rainer is overdue, not something that makes me feel all warm inside:eek:

wiki said:

:lol::( Sorry!!! Hun!!!!

It is not a matter of if, but a matter of when and how bad.

wiki said:

The say Rainer is overdue, not something that makes me feel all warm inside:eek:

:eek::( UH!!!! YEAH!!!! for sure!! They are already picking up sizemick action, at the base of it, since last year. I was working in the exact area of Mount Saint Helen's when it puked, right near Toodle Lake. I have been in every act of nature, except a Tidal Wave, and i don't think i could out run waves like the that.:lol: I was working in the area where Katrina hit, in South Eastern Louisiana, in fact i had just closed my shop for the day, in the 9th Ward, and was driving back to South Central Louisiana(Opelousas, when i heard a loud roar and a loud rush, 100 yards away from my truck. The waves totally leveled out my shop and thousand of feet of land that i was working on. God was on my side, when Katrina hit. I think i broke the speed limit, just to outrun the masses of water that were coming my way.:eek:WHOA!!!!MACK!!!!.

As we get more populus the damage and loss of life will increase.
Kinda like building on the gulf and Atalntic coast shores we increase our damage risk.

It is not a matter of if, but a matter of when and how bad.

:( How far away do you live from Lady Rainer? I live close enough, to her, that if she puked, my whole area would be fried!!!!

I walked on Mt. ST Helens before it blew. Where I walked is now spread around the world. My turds are spread around the world as well. Had to take a dump while up there.

I lived in Beaverton, OR when it blew.

Got me a fault line alright, aligned right under my tooty when the IBS acts up. Something about that commerical for the IBS keeps me away from the medicine. They write bloat on their bellies. I got the bloat, don't need to advertise it.

Peace

Traci

:eek::( UH!!!! YEAH!!!! for sure!! They are already picking up sizemick action, at the base of it, since last year. I was working in the exact area of Mount Saint Helen's when it puked, right near Toodle Lake. I have been in every act of nature, except a Tidal Wave, and i don't think i could out run waves like the that.:lol: I was working in the area where Katrina hit, in South Eastern Louisiana, in fact i had just closed my shop for the day, in the 9th Ward, and was driving back to South Central Louisiana(Opelousas, when i heard a loud roar and a loud rush, 100 yards away from my truck. The waves totally leveled out my shop and thousand of feet of land that i was working on. God was on my side, when Katrina hit. I think i broke the speed limit, just to outrun the masses of water that were coming my way.:eek:WHOA!!!!MACK!!!!.

My mom was pregant with me when St Helen's went, she was living in Lewiston Idaho at the time and still had falling ash. I guess it got dark as night pretty quick here in Spokane that day. When I helped my ex take off my parents old roof there was ash underneath the shingles.
The thing I don't get is the people who live in the towns around Rainer, I saw a special on one of the little towns and these people were bitching about the risk of Rainer going and an evacutation plan. I of course yelled at the screen, " Don't buy a house next to a volcano". :lol:

Your post makes me feel very old.

Down here in Portland we got several ashfalls, but they weren't very substantial. Impressive dustings. Very odd to see the ground covered in white in the middle of summer.

Out in Spokane, it was very impressive. I think they got a couple inches. Just contemplate that for a moment.... as Spokane is like 250 miles away.

The City wanted you to sweep it up and compost it. (Flowers the next year were great) The ash created horrible problems for the city sewer system. They also wanted you to protect yourself, as the stuff was like breathing glass flakes.

The worst earthquake that occurred in the US, that we know of, was on the west end of Tennessee, but it occurred long before europeans had settled in any number there. I could happen again.

I think the building codes and the basic infrastructure of US cities would prevent the sort of damage that is now present in Haiti.

That doesn't negate the potential of great loss of life and property should a 'big one' occur. It's not just the Pacific coast with issues, but also those east of the Rockies.

One of the most serious earthquakes in US happened in the Midwest, not the West Coast:

The 1811 and 1812 New Madrid Earthquakes are the most intense intraplate earthquake series to have occurred in the contiguous United States in historic times, beginning with an initial pair of very large earthquakes on December 16, 1811. These earthquakes, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, Louisiana Territory, now Missouri.
There are estimates that the earthquakes were felt strongly over roughly 130,000 square kilometers (50,000 square miles), and moderately across nearly 3 million square kilometers (1 million square miles). The historic 1906 San Francisco earthquake, by comparison, was felt moderately over roughly 16,000 square kilometers (6,000 square miles).

Your post makes me feel very old.

Down here in Portland we got several ashfalls, but they weren't very substantial. Impressive dustings. Very odd to see the ground covered in white in the middle of summer.

Out in Spokane, it was very impressive. I think they got a couple inches. Just contemplate that for a moment.... as Spokane is like 250 miles away.

The City wanted you to sweep it up and compost it. (Flowers the next year were great) The ash created horrible problems for the city sewer system. They also wanted you to protect yourself, as the stuff was like breathing glass flakes.

:( I was living in Gray's River, working as a tree planter for WeyerHouser, when She lost her temper and leveled the Toodle River, and massive trees and outlined areas.To this very day, people can revisit the site where Mount Saint Helen blew her top. Mount Rainer has been dormant for over 500 years, but scientist say, she is waking up and getting ready to flatten folks as far as Seattle and other coastal areas, within her area.So!!!! folks:lol: Bend over grab your legs and kiss your but goodbye!!!!

Forum List

Back