A "Good" Story From Haiti

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Australian media crews pull baby from rubble in Haiti - Yahoo! News

Video here.

Australian media crews pull baby from rubble in Haiti

Mon Jan 18, 1:18 am ET

SYDNEY (AFP) – Rival Australian news crews said Monday that saving a life came before doing their jobs when they rescued an 18-month-old baby from underneath the rubble in earthquake-devastated Haiti.
The little girl was lying alongside the bodies of her dead parents who were killed in the 7.0 magnitude earthquake which hit Port-au-Prince on January 12 when the camera crews heard her moans and began to dig her out on Friday. Related article: Haitians pray in ruins
Richard Moran, a cameraman with the commercial Nine Network, put down his camera and lifted pieces of concrete out of the way while Nine's interpreter and fixer Deiby Celestino climbed into the tangled mess to retrieve the child.
"And then, out of the ruins came this little girl, and I will never forget it. She did not cry. She looked astonished, almost as if she was seeing the world for the first time," Nine reporter Robert Penfold told The Australian.
The images of the child's rescue were captured by Nine's major rival Seven, and footage beamed around the world showed Seven's correspondent Mike Amor holding the dusty little girl and giving her water.
"That moment, it was beyond news," Amor said. "I haven't seen anything so remarkable since the birth of my own child. The emotion for all of us has been incredible."...

Forum List

Back