Corporate Welfare

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ing-public-services-end-failure-a8163911.html

So this private company has collapsed leaving over 20000 employees with an uncertain future and a further 23000 contractors are left to whistle for the money they are owed.

Their main business has been working on government contracts.

During the period leading up to the collapse they increased dividend pay outs to shareholders and bonus payments to execs.

They leave a pension scheme that is underfunded by £500m.

Once again we see corporate greed on a grand scale.

Profit is privatised and we are left to pick up the tab when it goes wrong.

I guess they weren’t getting enough “corporate welfare” if they still collapsed.

Well Tommy Tainant
for all the conservatives and Republicans who'd rather invest tax breaks into companies, instead of funding social welfare for low income people at taxpayers expense, why not give taxpayers a choice of which type of welfare cases to fund?

Let liberal Democrats and progressives who'd rather pay taxes to cover health care and welfare for low income and working families invest their money there, into programs microlending and assisting individual households. While conservative Republicans and capitalists who want more freedom and less taxes for corporations and businesses be in charge of funding and managing loans, investments and tax breaks for that sector.

If they don't want to pay for the "welfare" toward the other group, let them choose where to invest their taxes and tax breaks.

This would create incentive and accountability if the people receiving the welfare handouts have to answer directly to the taxpayers funding them, and not charge the costs to anyone else who doesn't want that responsibility for either success or failure.

I guess they weren’t getting enough “corporate welfare” if they still collapsed.
The truth will emerge at some point. My guess is that they tendered low on jobs and it caught up with them.

this is the second major pension scheme to be in distress in the last few years. The public will pick up the tab on this one again. Its wrong when the owners have been stuffing their pockets with cash.

Well Tommy Tainant
for all the conservatives and Republicans who'd rather invest tax breaks into companies, instead of funding social welfare for low income people at taxpayers expense, why not give taxpayers a choice of which type of welfare cases to fund?

Let liberal Democrats and progressives who'd rather pay taxes to cover health care and welfare for low income and working families invest their money there, into programs microlending and assisting individual households. While conservative Republicans and capitalists who want more freedom and less taxes for corporations and businesses be in charge of funding and managing loans, investments and tax breaks for that sector.

If they don't want to pay for the "welfare" toward the other group, let them choose where to invest their taxes and tax breaks.

This would create incentive and accountability if the people receiving the welfare handouts have to answer directly to the taxpayers funding them, and not charge the costs to anyone else who doesn't want that responsibility for either success or failure.
That is over complicated Emily. A simple change in the law could easily sort out the pension issue. Companies are allowed to take "pension holidays" in good years and that should be stopped. A pension is a contractual obligation and should be met before a company pays out dividends and bonus payments.

Corporate Welfare

ae37e7c301b4b393cf7c54717ceebe8b--pissed-off-social-issues.jpg

Corporate Welfare

ae37e7c301b4b393cf7c54717ceebe8b--pissed-off-social-issues.jpg

While I haven't confirmed as much with my financial advisor, I suspect that were one to merely build an investment portfolio comprised by buying the stock of firms noted above, one'd be doing quite well.

So while it's annoying to learn of firms that do a very fine job of minimizing their tax liability, knowing what firms do is nonetheless information one can use to one's advantage. Of course, one can also ignore the "writing on the wall" and simply keep griping. I am of a mind to do both, but make no mistake, I'm among those who "git while the gittin's good," notwithstanding whatever bitching and moaning I decide to do.

Last edited:
Well Tommy Tainant

The company is UK based Emily...not to let that get in the way of a good rant. :)

Jeremy Corbyn: Private firms running public services must be 'shown the door' to prevent Carillion repeat

So this private company has collapsed leaving over 20000 employees with an uncertain future and a further 23000 contractors are left to whistle for the money they are owed.

During the period leading up to the collapse they increased dividend pay outs to shareholders and bonus payments to execs.

So your government did not vet its contractor very well did it?

Jeremy Corbyn: Private firms running public services must be 'shown the door' to prevent Carillion repeat

They were big donors to the Tories so what do you think ?

They were big donors to the Tories so what do you think ?

I think your government screwed the public, not just one party.

Forum List

Back