Cops cuff obnoxious 5 year old

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
After reading through this, I don't really have a problem with it other than the fact that this child should have been kicked out and sent home to mommy for some remedial discipline.
======================================================
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/16/national/main661541.shtml

Principal Has Cops Cuff 5-Year-Old

ST. LOUIS, Dec. 16, 2004

"They put handcuffs on my baby. That's for adults who murder and kill. He's 5. He's in kindergarten."
Aroni Rucker, the boys mother

(AP) The board of a St. Louis charter school on Wednesday placed a principal on leave after he had police handcuff a 5-year-old and drive him around the block in a squad car to curb his unruly behavior.

Principal Sam Morgan is on leave from Thurgood Marshall Academy pending an investigation into last month's incident, board attorney Wayne Harvey said.

Morgan declined to comment Wednesday, but last week said he had spent more time on the boy "than any kid in this building, trying to steer him straight."

He said he had police "put the handcuffs on one arm, put him in the back seat of their car and drive him around a little bit."

Morgan added: "This kid is heading for the Department of Corrections at 5. He fights, strikes somebody practically every day on the bus. He's a constant disruption."

Morgan, a longtime principal at East St. Louis High School in Illinois, also spent eight years working in the Department of Corrections.

The boy's mother, Aroni Rucker, said Wednesday her son had trouble adjusting to his first year of school and may have been disruptive, but he did nothing to warrant such treatment.

"They put handcuffs on my baby," Rucker said. "That's for adults who murder and kill. He's 5. He's in kindergarten."

Rucker said she was planning to pull the boy and her second-grader from the school at the end of the semester when Morgan told her last week that the kindergartner could not come back.

St. Louis police spokesman Richard Wilkes said the department was looking into the incident. "Handcuffing 5-year-olds is not a practice of the department," he said.

The University of Missouri-St. Louis announced in August that it would end its sponsorship of the charter school, meaning the school must find a new sponsor by June or close. The university placed the school on probation twice, citing fiscal mismanagement, board corruption, poor academic performance and high turnover in leadership - seven principals in five years.

University spokesman Bob Samples, part of the sponsorship team, said only that "it's inappropriate to handcuff a 5-year-old."

you know, when I was about 7 I was caught take a five-finger discount on a can of snuff from a 7-11. The clerk called the cops, they cuffed me, took me to the station and had my parents come pick me up. Needless to say, I straightened up and never stole anything again!

Sometimes tuff love and freight is what it takes to turn people around. It is obvious by the mother's reaction that this kid never gets into trouble at home and will be hell when he gets older.

The old saying, "I'm the only hell my mother ever raised" applies aptly to this kid.

I went to private Christian school from kindergarten to 10th grade and if you acted up there the paddle came out. If the paddle came out there it came out at home when my dad read the note. It didn't have to come out much all those years.

Maybe if the mom taught him something at home and backed the teachers then teh principle wouldn't of had to try a hard lesson on him. A kid this out of control at 5 will be real bad by his teens and a hazard by the time he's a adult. Maybe this will scare him enough to make him see the consequences of being out of control. Who knows? But i'll bet the mom has ruined any positive effect it might of had on him.

I find the mother's response the most troubling...FAR MORE troubling than the little boy having a handcuff around one of his hands.

The boy's mother, Aroni Rucker, said Wednesday her son had trouble adjusting to his first year of school and may have been disruptive, but he did nothing to warrant such treatment.

"They put handcuffs on my baby," Rucker said. "That's for adults who murder and kill. He's 5. He's in kindergarten."

The principal stated that this kid was beating on other kids everyday. Principals know that parents will side with kids and make life hell for teachers and administrators 9 times of of 10 today...so I would imagine that this kid had to be BAD in order for the principal to attempt to "scare him straight."

But the mother steps in and immediately offers excuses and justifications for her son beating up other children...disgusting. I am so SICK of parents not taking action when their child terrorizes or disrupts the learning of other students.

If I were the school leader I would have washed my hands of the 5 year old a long time ago. If he really is that bad why give him any attention at all when you have all those eager kids who are there to learn in a safe environment. Let that 5 year old be the mom's problem not the other childrens nor the schools.

Where is the three strikes and your "expelled from school" rule?

thats actually what they need. mandatory school for kids who dont give a fuck? MAybe up to a certain age by why do the other kids deserve to put up with that shit. This kid was biting people, hitting people, kicking people, disrupting class on a daily basis. How is that fair to the other kids to have to deal with some degenerate kid?

Maybe up to like age 10 or something but after a certain age, kids should be allowed to get kicked out of school permanently, as a last resort beyond all hope scenario. Maybe the parents would wake the fuck up if they had to deal with the bastards all day.

Merlin1047 said:
After reading through this, I don't really have a problem with it other than the fact that this child should have been kicked out and sent home to mommy for some remedial discipline.

Actually, lack of discipline by mommy lies at the root of the problem. If you can't handle the responsibility of having kids, you've got no business having them.

Forum List

Back