Cops Confiscate Lakewood Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by P F Tinmore, Sep 18, 2011.

1. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Update: Last month we brought you the story of Francesca Rice, an Iraq war veteran in Lakewood whose stockpile of licensed firearms was seized by cops. So Rice, whose service left her disabled, pursued justice the American way: By suing their ass.

Since Scene first reported the story, Rice’s arsenal has been restocked and her legal action tabled.

The incident started in September 2010, when Lakewood Police were asked to check on Rice by the VA hospital, where she’d been receiving treatment. Thirteen weapons — including a machine gun and sniper rifle — were taken when cops suspected Rice’s disability prevented her from owning them under Ohio law. \

Last week, with no further evidence from the VA that Rice couldn’t handle a gun, the police returned her weapons.

Cops Confiscate Lakewood Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending (Updated) | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

2. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    So if you have a disability Ohio discriminates and takes away your rights?

3. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    They had no fucking authority to do that in the first place I hope she owns the town and every police officer home that was involved in this injustice. Lucky for the department they didn'tcome to some peoples home that I know.

4. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    If this is Francesca Rice she doesn't look handi capped to me or at least nothing that would keep her from handling a firearm.

[​IMG]

5. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    You can say that again.:clap2:

6. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    I think in a thread I started I mention how the VA could have your guns taken away just because some doctor said you were handicapped, some said I was crazy, stupid, conspricey nut, "the guberment coming to take your guns" I was right all along. This is why I am against gun restrictions everybody should have them and take a firearm course and defend yourself.

7. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    1.) Good. The proper remedy in this society when you feel your rights have been violated is to sue (and not join some apocalyptic militia/fanatical group and start planning the next civil war).
    2.) It sounds like Ms. Rice might have some psychiatric problems (hence the VA asking the police to check on her). I don't agree that her weapons should have been confiscated solely for that reason, but if that's the law in Ohio, then it's the law.

8. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I would think she'd have a hard time proving damages now that the guns were returned and the GOP successfully capped "non-economic" damages (i.e. pain and suffering) in most every state in the union (usually around $250K). So, I doubt she'll "own" the town.

9. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    I've seen the ACLU take something less then this to court and win.
    But this is a real rights violation involving the second amendment and they moe than likely won't touch it.

10. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    No you weren't and insinuating that people should "defend" themselves against the police confiscating their weapons is stupidity gone to a head. Rice did the smart thing, she used the courts to resolve a violation of her constitutional rights and won (easily). Your solution would land you on death row (if you lived).

I've read all I could find on this, to include the court documents, and no one knows what Rice's disability was. I can't think of a reason why a physically disabled person would be restricted under Ohio state law from owning firearms.

Going off the fact pattern, the VA contacted the police and Rice was under their treatment for some sort of "disability", I speculate that she was being treated for some sort of psychiatric treatment, perhaps major depressive disorder and perhaps she had endorsed some suicidal ideations, fallen off the map, and her doctor was concerned about her and sent the police in where they confiscated her guns so she couldn't "harm herself or others" which might be legal under Ohio Law.

Again, just my speculation, but it's the only logical conclusion I can make. I don't agree that people with psychiatric conditions shouldn't be able to own a weapon and I could be completely off base.

Either way, she won her case. Easily.