Constitutional Oligarchy?

When are you going to accept that freedom of speech applies to all people, even if you don't like them?

corporations are not people. They deserve no constitutional rights whatsoever. That the SC defends their rights only proves the corruption of the court.

Corporations are groups of people joined together in a business enterprise. The court has ruled many times in the past that associations of people have the same rights as individuals.

Free speech is supposed to encourage speech. not limit it from groups of people we dont like.

People really dont like free speech here do they?

I never understood how people oppose free speech until recently. I just don't understand why anyone would want to restrict their rights.

Money..does not equal speech.

And should not equal "more access" to the political process.

That's part of the reason people left Europe for America.

No, they left Europe because their system was designed to keep you poor.

Exactly the sort of system that the Conservatives are pushing for in this nation.

Oligarchy, a political system that is controlled by a small group of individuals, who govern in their own interests.
Does Citizens United v. FEC portend our nations future?

I support campaign finance reform, limits on contributions and the total transparency of the donors.

Do you?
Absolutely, but with a different twist. I would like see a limit on campaign spending, not contributions. I would like see a limit of $100,000 place on candidates for the House, $200,000 for the Senate, and a million for the presidency. Second, I would like to see televised debates sponsor for all candidates as well as town hall meetings. This is how we should learn about the candidates not TV ads.

Lastly, I would ban all political advertising. Call it a health hazard like smoking are whatever it takes to make it constitutional. What's going on now is pure insanity.

Is it just me?

I think this is such a crazy solution..it just might work!

How would it stop unofficial spending by those not directly involved in the campaign?

Hey..we are brainstorming..feel free.

But my take...like prohibition of electioneering around polls..maybe make a time limit on that sort of stuff in the media.

How would it stop unofficial spending by those not directly involved in the campaign?

But my take...like prohibition of electioneering around polls..maybe make a time limit on that sort of stuff in the media.
Like smoking, I would ban political ads as being dangers to your health; i.e. your sanity. Seriously, there is probably no you could stop them. However, you could probably require the media outlets label these ads as unauthorized. With enough bad press and public scorn, you might be able to stop these ads.

When are you going to accept that freedom of speech applies to all people, even if you don't like them?

A corperation is a people?

What are the UNIONS but Coprporations? Their products are manipulation of their membership and politicians. I wonder if the OP thinks Unions should have limits on their speech too?

I never understood how people oppose free speech until recently. I just don't understand why anyone would want to restrict their rights.

Money..does not equal speech.

And should not equal "more access" to the political process.

That's part of the reason people left Europe for America.

No, they left Europe because their system was designed to keep you poor.

Well..that's because the people with all the cash ran the show.

Why is it..conservatives are so gleefully determined to create that very same system.

corporations are not people. They deserve no constitutional rights whatsoever. That the SC defends their rights only proves the corruption of the court.

What's interesting is the fact that the real Tea Party was a demonstration against corporations control of government.

Like smoking, I would ban political ads as being dangers to your health; i.e. your sanity. Seriously, there is probably no you could stop them. However, you could probably require the media outlets label these ads as unauthorized. With enough bad press and public scorn, you might be able to stop these ads.

Well prior to the Reagan administration, there was a requirement that broadcasters provide equal time to all sides of a political issue. Now that's gone and any effort to re-introduce it is vehmently opposed by Conservatives. We seriously need to go back to that..or something like that.

Do you think vote buying should be constitutionally protected? If a campaign decided that instead of canvassing door to door or phonebanking, it would just start cutting checks to undecideds, would that be acceptable in your book?

One might think this argument that the First Amendment implies elections should be for sale would be a reductio ad absurdum of the "money=speech" philosophy. Instead, it appears to be the centerpiece of some folks' conception of our government these days.

You know, after 9/11 one of the primary ways the government went after al Qaeda was by going after its financial assets, stopping the money flow to the organization. Do you think there might be First Amendment concerns there? Someone's right to express themselves (via financing) might have been abridged?

Do you think that corporations ought to give up their rights of limited liability?

A corperation is a people?

What are the UNIONS but Coprporations? Their products are manipulation of their membership and politicians. I wonder if the OP thinks Unions should have limits on their speech too?

In my never ending effort to dispell the ignorance of 'T' and other willfully ignorant RW fringers, let me refer the reader to Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Company, 118 U.S. 394 (1886)
Of particular importance note the headnotes (and its author's job) and the exchange between Davis - the author - and Chief Justice Waite.

Actually he is dead wrong. When it comes to Elections Money does equal speech.

Dead wrong?

People, for the most part, left Europe for the United States for a multitude of reasons but primarily for Religious/Ethnic Freedom..and the right to "get paid".

That was impossible in cultures that were so steeped in Aristocracies.

"Elections Money" does not equal speech.

What it represents is a return to the very thing most people left in the first place.

Forum List

Back