Conservatives Threaten to Boycott American Girl

USMCDevilDog

Jul 8, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Don't know about this, but they seem to be going a bit over the top, boycotting a doll company because it supports abortion and lesbian relationships? I might be most conservative but I thought in America you were free to do what you wanted?

Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051014/ap_on_re_us/american_girl_protest

Here's the article:

Groups Threaten to Boycott American Girl By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
19 minutes ago

American Girl, manufacturer of a highly popular line of dolls and children's books, has become the target of conservative activists threatening a boycott unless the toy maker cuts off contributions to a youth organization that supports abortion rights and acceptance of lesbians.

The protest is directed at an ongoing American Girl campaign in which proceeds from sales of a special "I Can" wristband help support educational and empowerment programs of Girls Inc., a national nonprofit organization which describes its mission as "inspiring girls to be strong, smart and bold."

American Girl, whose often patriotic products have long had a loyal following among conservatives, issued a statement Friday defending its support of Girls Inc. and assailing the protest campaign.

"We are profoundly disappointed that certain groups have chosen to misconstrue American Girl's purely altruistic efforts and turn them into a broader political statement on issues that we, as a corporation, have no position," the statement said.

The Mississippi-based American Family Association, in a campaign launched Wednesday, is urging its members to demand that American Girl halt support for Girls Inc., which it called "a pro-abortion, pro-lesbian advocacy group."

"Let American Girl know they are making a terrible mistake," AFA chairman Don Wildmon said in a statement. The AFA says it has more than 2.2 million members.

The Pro-Life Action League, a Chicago-based anti-abortion group, also is asking supporters to contact American Girl to express dismay. The league's executive director, Ann Scheidler, said her organization might call for a boycott of American Girl's products and organize picketing at its stores in Chicago and New York if the company doesn't sever ties with Girls Inc.

"Parents need to know that this effort to promote self-esteem among girls is not as innocent as it seems," Scheidler said. "While Girls Inc. has some good programs, they also support abortion, oppose abstinence-only education for girls, and condone lesbianism."

American Girl, a subsidiary of Mattel Inc., said the "I Can" initiative supports three specific Girls Inc. programs — building girls' skills in science and math, developing leadership skills, and encouraging athletic skills and team spirit.

"All of these aims are appropriate to our 7- to 12-year-old American Girl fans," the company said. "The American Girl brand exemplifies the values of wholesomeness and responsibility that we would expect any organization to commend."

Girls Inc., which traces its roots back to a center founded in Waterbury, Conn., in 1864, serves about 800,000 girls a year, many of them black or Hispanic and most from low-income families.

The "advocacy" page on its Web site lists some of the positions that roused conservative ire — for example a clear endorsement the 1973 Roe v. Wade court decision establishing a woman's right to abortion.

Girls Inc. also supports a girl's right to have access to contraception and pledges support for girls dealing with issues of sexual orientation.

Joyce Roche, the president of Girls Inc., said the New York-based organization had never before been targeted by a protest campaign.

"We were taken aback," she said in a telephone interview Friday. "Our programs are well-respected. We're all about helping girls see possibilities and dream big dreams."

She said Girls Inc. takes positions on public policy issues if it believes women's rights and opportunities are at stake. "Our philosophy is that women should have the right to make decisions about themselves," Roche said.

One of the protest coordinators, American Family Association special projects director Randy Sharp, said the campaign was noteworthy because American Girl's products have long been favored by conservatives. Its dolls (full-sized models sell for more than $80) include a series from different eras of American history — such as Felicity, from the Revolutionary War, or Addy, who escapes from slavery during the Civil War.

"American Girl has won the trust of millions of conservative families," Sharp said. "It's very popular among the home school movement because of the values the company followed."

"Now we find they're teaming up with Girls Inc., which supports the very things we oppose. It's very troubling."

Sharp said the AFA was not yet ready to call for a boycott, but he predicted that many conservative families — including his own — would be reluctant to keep buying American Girl products. "I think no question this will have a financial impact on American Girl," he said.

___

On the Net:

American Family Association: http://www.afa.net/

Girls Inc. advocacy positions: http://www.girlsinc.org/ic/page.php?id4.3

"Don't know about this, but they seem to be going a bit over the top, boycotting a doll company because it supports abortion and lesbian relationships? I might be most conservative but I thought in America you were free to do what you wanted?"

It isn't all conservatives that are threatening to boycott this company so your title is misleading and devisive as well as your cutting sarcasm here.

USMCDevilDog said:
Don't know about this, but they seem to be going a bit over the top, boycotting a doll company because it supports abortion and lesbian relationships? I might be most conservative but I thought in America you were free to do what you wanted?

Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051014/ap_on_re_us/american_girl_protest

Here's the article:

Groups Threaten to Boycott American Girl By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
19 minutes ago

American Girl, manufacturer of a highly popular line of dolls and children's books, has become the target of conservative activists threatening a boycott unless the toy maker cuts off contributions to a youth organization that supports abortion rights and acceptance of lesbians.

The protest is directed at an ongoing American Girl campaign in which proceeds from sales of a special "I Can" wristband help support educational and empowerment programs of Girls Inc., a national nonprofit organization which describes its mission as "inspiring girls to be strong, smart and bold."

American Girl, whose often patriotic products have long had a loyal following among conservatives, issued a statement Friday defending its support of Girls Inc. and assailing the protest campaign.

"We are profoundly disappointed that certain groups have chosen to misconstrue American Girl's purely altruistic efforts and turn them into a broader political statement on issues that we, as a corporation, have no position," the statement said.

The Mississippi-based American Family Association, in a campaign launched Wednesday, is urging its members to demand that American Girl halt support for Girls Inc., which it called "a pro-abortion, pro-lesbian advocacy group."

"Let American Girl know they are making a terrible mistake," AFA chairman Don Wildmon said in a statement. The AFA says it has more than 2.2 million members.

The Pro-Life Action League, a Chicago-based anti-abortion group, also is asking supporters to contact American Girl to express dismay. The league's executive director, Ann Scheidler, said her organization might call for a boycott of American Girl's products and organize picketing at its stores in Chicago and New York if the company doesn't sever ties with Girls Inc.

"Parents need to know that this effort to promote self-esteem among girls is not as innocent as it seems," Scheidler said. "While Girls Inc. has some good programs, they also support abortion, oppose abstinence-only education for girls, and condone lesbianism."

American Girl, a subsidiary of Mattel Inc., said the "I Can" initiative supports three specific Girls Inc. programs — building girls' skills in science and math, developing leadership skills, and encouraging athletic skills and team spirit.

"All of these aims are appropriate to our 7- to 12-year-old American Girl fans," the company said. "The American Girl brand exemplifies the values of wholesomeness and responsibility that we would expect any organization to commend."

Girls Inc., which traces its roots back to a center founded in Waterbury, Conn., in 1864, serves about 800,000 girls a year, many of them black or Hispanic and most from low-income families.

The "advocacy" page on its Web site lists some of the positions that roused conservative ire — for example a clear endorsement the 1973 Roe v. Wade court decision establishing a woman's right to abortion.

Girls Inc. also supports a girl's right to have access to contraception and pledges support for girls dealing with issues of sexual orientation.

Joyce Roche, the president of Girls Inc., said the New York-based organization had never before been targeted by a protest campaign.

"We were taken aback," she said in a telephone interview Friday. "Our programs are well-respected. We're all about helping girls see possibilities and dream big dreams."

She said Girls Inc. takes positions on public policy issues if it believes women's rights and opportunities are at stake. "Our philosophy is that women should have the right to make decisions about themselves," Roche said.

One of the protest coordinators, American Family Association special projects director Randy Sharp, said the campaign was noteworthy because American Girl's products have long been favored by conservatives. Its dolls (full-sized models sell for more than $80) include a series from different eras of American history — such as Felicity, from the Revolutionary War, or Addy, who escapes from slavery during the Civil War.

"American Girl has won the trust of millions of conservative families," Sharp said. "It's very popular among the home school movement because of the values the company followed."

"Now we find they're teaming up with Girls Inc., which supports the very things we oppose. It's very troubling."

Sharp said the AFA was not yet ready to call for a boycott, but he predicted that many conservative families — including his own — would be reluctant to keep buying American Girl products. "I think no question this will have a financial impact on American Girl," he said.

___

On the Net:

American Family Association: http://www.afa.net/

Girls Inc. advocacy positions: http://www.girlsinc.org/ic/page.php?id4.3

Freedom,while threatened, is still alive--the company is free to make the doll and others are free to protest it by boycotting. I'm tired of hearing that simply protesting something is trying to take away someones rights.

My wife just informed me about this a couple of days ago. Our daughter has a bunch of American Girl stuff, but there is no way that I am going to continue to support a company that supports girls (not women - GIRLS) exploring lesbianism. We told our daughter of our decision, and she was mildly disappointed, but I think she understands why we are doing this.

no1tovote4 said:
"Don't know about this, but they seem to be going a bit over the top, boycotting a doll company because it supports abortion and lesbian relationships? I might be most conservative but I thought in America you were free to do what you wanted?"

It isn't all conservatives that are threatening to boycott this company so your title is misleading and devisive as well as your cutting sarcasm here.

Didn't mean to make it out like that bro. The title on Yahoo! was the one I posted here.

Dillo, I never said their rights were being taken away, just said it was kinda wierd that they'd do that.

I don't know, it just seemed a little out of place, lol.

USMCDevilDog said:
Didn't mean to make it out like that bro. The title on Yahoo! was the one I posted here.

Dillo, I never said their rights were being taken away, just said it was kinda wierd that they'd do that.

I don't know, it just seemed a little out of place, lol.

I think people do it because of increasing frustration and disgust with the liberal agenda. They fight it on the levels that affect them closest to home and I guess this one just happens to be what kids get taught by the toys they play with.
Let the libs learn that with choices comes responsibilty. If you make a shitty toy that pisses off people they just might just get together and ruin you business plans.

USMCDevilDog said:

So its the AP that is demostrating a bias then.... What a shock! :eek:

I always wonder why it is the ultra-religious groups that always seem to represent all conservatives in the news. It's like when you see somebody from CO they always have a cowboy hat and talk like people in Deliverance but if you lived here you would realize you would be hard-pressed to find such a person here.

Geeezzzzzzzzz who the hell cares? If you do don't buy the product, but guess what? It ain't gonna matter.

Gosh, I hear this "Make em Stop" W "Make em Stop" in my head. :eek:

no1tovote4 said:
It's like when you see somebody from CO they always have a cowboy hat and talk like people in Deliverance ...
Hey!!! Don't you dis Deliverance, or we'll have banjo music in here any minute.
AND..James Dicky graduated from the same HS as I did, so it's all good. :teeth:

American Girl's owners have every right to give money to whatever organizations they see fit. American Girl product purchasers have every right to say that they don't want to give any money to an organization that supports issues/stances/whatever that they do not personally believe in.

What's the problem?

This is our system, freedoms, capitalism at work. If I don't feel my hard earned dollars should go to a company who gives money to a program that teachers little girls why abortions and sex at an early age are synonymous with being a strong, free-thinking woman...than I'm going to express my displeasure by not purchasing their product.

If another people feel likewise, they will stop purchasing as well...causing that company to evaluate whether or not their donating money to that particular organization is worth the loss of business. Either it IS worth it...and I'm out of luck. Or is ISN'T worth it...and I win. Again, whats wrong with this scenario?

Do you have to agree with those boycotting American Girl? Nope, thats the other beauty part of this equation. You can think that the people who are stopping purchasing these products for their daughters are close-minded bigotted assholes. Its your right.

We saw similar griping from Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, to the Dixie Chicks, to any person who ever said, "You're infringing on my rights because you are disagreeing with me and criticizing my opinion." THESE PEOPLE NEED TO JUST GET OVER IT!!! You don't have to agree with these people...but they have the right to do exactly what they are doing!

As a final note...how else does the common man show big businesses that they disagree with what they are doing?

Today's conservative: Brave enough to boycott a doll, wets his pants over Jewish power. That pretty explains the mess we're in, I'd say.

no1tovote4 said:

Yeah - plenty of liberals who hate lesbians and women's privacy.

SpidermanTuba said:
Yeah - plenty of liberals who hate lesbians and women's privacy.

Whatever happened to "dissent is patriotic". I guess only approved dissent is patriotic. Dissenting to liberal ideas is homophobic sexism.

Not buying from a company you despise is your right.

Tolerance may be needed to keep the fabric of society together.

"Don't buy from Jews" is an example when hypocrits use boycott
as a method to isolate and hurt people that have a different
religion/philosophy.

This does not at all equate to it but seems petty to me.

nosarcasm said:
Not buying from a company you despise is your right.

Tolerance may be needed to keep the fabric of society together.

"Don't buy from Jews" is an example when hypocrits use boycott
as a method to isolate and hurt people that have a different
religion/philosophy.

This does not at all equate to it but seems petty to me.

Tolerance is certainly the answer but only if it is practiced by EVERYONE. Since that is not occuring, cultures, races, ideologies and religions are struggling for thier very survival. We are fortunate that the battle in this case is being fought financially. Just wait until the big guns come into play. People already do not trust the ballot box as a means of power sharing.

dilloduck said:
Tolerance is certainly the answer but only if it is practiced by EVERYONE. Since that is not occuring, cultures, races, ideologies and religions are struggling for thier very survival. We are fortunate that the battle in this case is being fought financially. Just wait until the big guns come into play. People already do not trust the ballot box as a means of power sharing.

"Tolerance" today is something the liberals wish to define to their ends and it is their petty little followers who push for this amorphous term to be enforced.

For them it is not "tolerant" and is a "hate crime" (another amorphous term) to protest against their groups who are on their list of favorites such as blacks or homosexuals.

If liberals had their way, they would make protest against lesbian dolls a "hate crime" against homosexuals.

They would love to take away all forms of unapproved free expression from the masses.
To do this, tolerance aka political correctness, is being redefined and people are becoming more confined.
It is their goal to manage society from the top, defining what is allowed or not.

btw, what do you mean by "Just wait until the big guns come into play."?

ScreamingEagle said:
"Tolerance" today is something the liberals wish to define to their ends and it is their petty little followers who push for this amorphous term to be enforced.

For them it is not "tolerant" and is a "hate crime" (another amorphous term) to protest against their groups who are on their list of favorites such as blacks or homosexuals.

If liberals had their way, they would make protest against lesbian dolls a "hate crime" against homosexuals.

They would love to take away all forms of unapproved free expression from the masses.
To do this, tolerance aka political correctness, is being redefined and people are becoming more confined.
It is their goal to manage society from the top, defining what is allowed or not.

btw, what do you mean by "Just wait until the big guns come into play."?

I am not sure if it makes sense when you try to define tolerance for liberals.
You are using your own hatred of PC to build a stereotype. That rarely helps.

Whats your own definition of tolerance?

My definition is live and let live.

nosarcasm said:
I am not sure if it makes sense when you try to define tolerance for liberals.
You are using your own hatred of PC to build a stereotype. That rarely helps.

Whats your own definition of tolerance?

My definition is live and let live.

My definition of tolerance? Why should I have one?

It's the libs who are creating concrete definitions for tolerance.
I think we should just vote for what we want, when we want. Tolerance levels and social mores change over time.

Forum List

Back