Conservative Pastor steers clear of politics, pays dearly

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Psychoblues, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    USMB doesn't have an individual forum for this particular topic so I thought it best to post it here in the WOT forum. I will understand if a moderator chooses to move it to another forum more appropriate for it's content. Might I suggest a USA, a United States or maybe an American forum where discussions that would concern ordinary Americans might be discussed?

Like most pastors who lead thriving evangelical megachurches, the Rev. Gregory A. Boyd was asked frequently to give his blessing — and the church's — to conservative political candidates and causes. The requests came from church members and visitors alike: Would he please announce a rally against gay marriage during services? Would he introduce a politician from the pulpit? Could members set up a table in the lobby promoting their anti-abortion work? Would the church distribute "voters' guides" that all but endorsed Republican candidates? And with the country at war, please couldn't the church hang an American flag in the sanctuary? After refusing each time, Mr. Boyd finally became fed up, he said. Before the last presidential election, he preached six sermons called "The Cross and the Sword" in which he said the church should steer clear of politics, give up moralizing on sexual issues, stop claiming the United States as a "Christian nation" and stop glorifying American military campaigns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/u...0ee7feb1&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

I really do think it such a shame that such a man of the clergy, to which the right wingers so desparately cling, should be treated so shabbily. This is a story that would deserve some research into the why, how, when, where and who, don't you think?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,197
    So what your saying is he:

Thinks we should stop preaching traditional morality
    Thinks we should stop being grateful for people who defend our freedom.
    Basically give up our right to voice our own opinions in government issues because we are religious

So what exactly about anything this preacher is teaching is conservative?

3. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Guess what? Avatar4321 didn't read the article. That would be my guess. Avatar4321 asserts without foundation whatsoever that the Rev. Boyd does not preach traditional morality, or is ungrateful for our veterans and goes beyond comprehension while asserting the Pastor might advocate giving up our very American rights to VOICE our own opinions because of religious persuasions. Avatar4321, all I can say is, you don't read or comprehend well. The Rev. Boyd loves you anyway. Common sense and reading your nonsensical screed would indicate that you are not at all capable of understanding a different point of view other than your own.

Psychoblues

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,197
    Cant deal with actual criticisms so you have to resort to name calling? For a guy who is supposedly so old you act like an 8 year old alot. You specifically quoted this part:

Let's see, the man is preaching against sexual morality, against showing gratitude for people who shed their blood in defense of our freedom, and essentially expressing our views in public. That sounds exactly what I said. Again how is this conservative?

You can claim to be against abortion all you want, but if refuse to support efforts to end it are you really against it? You can claim to be agains homosexuality, but if you preach against speaking out on moral issues are you really? or are you just speaking out both sides of your mouth to start a controversy and get more people to your flock.

The fact that he doesnt want to support any political party is good. I think more Churches should do that. But when you are clearly preaching against good christian principles he is clearly doing, then you arent helping. You can be against abortion regardless of what party, but you cant be against abortion at the same time you preach not opposing it. How ridiculous is that. There is nothing conservative about this guy. To claim he is a conservative preacher is dishonest.

5. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hmmm. Moralzing on sexual issues is umm...a good bit of what the bible is all about, but on the other hand, it's good that he's cutting out the militant Stateolatry.

6. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Did YOU read the article?

Here's the headline:

Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock

When the New York Times doesn't even consider this guy a conservative in their own headline, why are you calling him one.

That site requires registration. Usually I can plug the headline in at Google and find any article from the New York Times somewhere else that doesn't require registration, but I don't feel like it today. If you really want anyone to read the article, you should c/p it here.

7. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I did not follow the link. I did however read what was posted.
    Rev. Boyd needs to be defrocked.

8. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Sounds as if the good pastor will be better off without the 1,000 or so that walked out. He also seems to understand the importance of the separation of church and state as well as a solid understanding of his faith.

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Don't be so narrow-minded dearie...You might learn something useful.

10. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Dearie?

This man is not talking about the seperation of church & state. He's talking about seperation of church & Bible.
    I have learned to stay away from those that are guilty of apostasy.

Where do you think this man is right?
    Not moralizing sexual issues? There is no right or wrong?
    America is not a "Christian" nation? She is blessed above all other nations on this earth.
    Glorifying the military? How do we do that? We are a free nation because of the military we've had. And that's exactly why we're where we are, now. We looked ripe for the picking. But us Christians can put up a pretty mean fight.

What was wrong with the church speaking against abortion?
    Oh, & hanging a flag in the Church? You'll find few atheists in a foxhole.
    A church that is true to the Bible will speak against homosexuality, the same as it speaks against adultery, murder, covetousness, & gossip.

So, what is it you'd like me to learn, Mr. Pulpit?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1