Congolese doctor helps Yazidi women overcome rape stigma

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by Disir, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,901
    Dohuk: At the Yazidi minority’s holiest site in Iraq, Congolese gynaecologist Denis Mukwege pays homage to a spiritual leader who has decreed women raped by Daesh should not be stigmatised.

The renowned doctor shakes hands with white-bearded Khurto Hajji Esmail, the Yazidis’ Baba Shaikh or spiritual leader, in the Lalish temple where two conical roofs symbolise the journey from earth to heaven.

Yazidis are followers of an ancient religion with more than half a million believers in northern Iraq, but in 2014 Daesh kidnapped thousands of the sect’s women and girls as sex slaves.

“In many communities, women are excluded - stigmatised just after being raped”, the 63-year-old gynaecologist told AFP, just ahead of his visit to the temple in Nineveh province.

“But Baba Shaikh has said we are human... and women should not be stigmatised” after what they have suffered, he added.

The sexual enslavement of Yazidis is a tragedy Mukwege is especially qualified to talk about.
    Congolese doctor helps Yazidi women overcome rape stigma

I'm not sure how people are to accept responsibility for Daesh.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,176
    Because the daesh are bad, doesn't mean it's their fault. They had no choice.

3. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,176
    How many daesh are still alive and where are they? In no way can they survive, because they don't produce anything. I learned that one from my uncle yesterday. ;)