Condi Says She's Not Running

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
In light of the discussion we were having on this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=342300#post342300

I thought this was interesting:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051016...P6xo96s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

Rice: I Don't Want to Run for President

Sun Oct 16,11:17 AM ET

For Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, no means no — and no again — when it comes to whether she will run for president.

"It's not what I want to do with my life, it's not what I'm going to do with my life," Rice said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

A group pushing for a Rice candidacy has run a television ad in New Hampshire — traditional site of the first presidential primary — and plans to air it soon in Iowa, where the first party caucuses take place.

At least two Web sites are promoting Rice even though Rice herself has said for months that she is not interested in running.

Asked on NBC and on "Fox News Sunday" whether she would run for president in 2008, Rice said she is flattered but would decline.

"I'm not somebody who wants to run for office. I haven't ever run for anything," Rice told NBC. "I think I'm doing what I need to do, which is to try and promote American foreign policy, American interests, the president's democracy agenda at an extraordinary time."

Pressed by host Tim Russert, Rice said, "I don't know how may ways to say no."

"So," asked Russert, "no ...?"

A few seconds of silence followed. "Tim," Rice said, "I don't know how many ways to tell people that I have no interest in being a candidate for anything. ... No."

She told Fox host Chris Wallace, "I'm quite certain that there are going to be really fine candidates for president from our party, and I'm looking forward to seeing them and perhaps supporting them."

Rice was interviewed from London at the conclusion of a diplomatic mission.

Or perhaps she just doesn't want that life?

Colin Powell turned down several opportunities to run for the Presidency...he laughed and said his wife wouldn't let him. People generally respected that and stated that he wasn't running because he didn't want to.

Why should Condi not deserve the same respect? Why should we automatically assume that she has some dirty little secret?

(By the way, Nuc, I'm not picking on you, specifically with this chain of thought. It's just the second or third time I've heard that argument...and I wonder why it is being used for her and was not for Colin Powell...is it just her close relationship with Bush? Or do people know/suspect things that I have not read/heard about?)

I heard the "skeletons in the closet" theory with Colin Powell as well. I seriously doubt there are skeletons in the closet of Condi or of Colin, if they were there they would have been found by now there are simply too many people willing to air other's dirty laundry in politics nowadays to let anybody slide.

Not only that, but I still believe that she may be currently being prepared to run for VP. Politicians often say that they will not run, before they do.

Gem said:
Or perhaps she just doesn't want that life?

Colin Powell turned down several opportunities to run for the Presidency...he laughed and said his wife wouldn't let him. People generally respected that and stated that he wasn't running because he didn't want to.

Why should Condi not deserve the same respect? Why should we automatically assume that she has some dirty little secret?

(By the way, Nuc, I'm not picking on you, specifically with this chain of thought. It's just the second or third time I've heard that argument...and I wonder why it is being used for her and was not for Colin Powell...is it just her close relationship with Bush? Or do people know/suspect things that I have not read/heard about?)

You can see from the positive statements I've made about her that I like her. However, in the modern world, a beautiful woman like her who has never been married and never linked with a man.........sorry, but I can't think of any others.

gop_jeff said:
Didn't Hillary say something to the same effect about not wanting to run for the Presidency? Yet, she's the frontrunner.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play hard to get to rally enthusiasm in the base. That's only smart.

Forum List

Back