Communication between God and man

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Jul 9, 2017.

1. PK1

PK1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +974
    Real or fantasy?
    Yes, experience is usually (not always) a good differentiator, especially if you compare your experiences with another brain/person ... to be more objective.
    Ultimately, it's about adaptation (to your environment/ecology) and survival that will reflect "reality".

2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,260
    I have learned that as mere humans we may think one thing but the facts may be something wholly different upon extreme examination. Most of us fail to recognize that there are spiritual things that determine our very thoughts and actions. We do that as we cannot understand certain things when they happen or when we were involved in them but unaware of the spiritual. It is something like asking a crowd of people what they saw when things happen but several saw something different even though all had a similar place to watch an event unfold. Or meeting someone for what you think is the first time yet there is something about that person that you seem to have known for a long time.

I do know when a person is being awakened spiritual and that veil between the spiritual mind and the carnal mind is removed it is very confusing to the flesh as we were not taught to view things in the spirit.

3. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Let's make the question more straight-forward. Sometimes, when people are trying to pray, do they enter into the realm of fantasy? The answer for me is, "Absolutely!" I enter into fantasy/imagination even in every day life. I know when I am imagining something, and I also know what is real.

Perhaps the problem for many atheists is that they do try to pray...and all they can come up with is fantasy. Therefore, it is easy to assume that this state must be the same for everyone, that some people are simply better pretenders. Instead think of people hitting the bulls-eye when shooting a bow and arrow from a distance of three hundred feet or more. Not many people will hit that target every time. But that doesn't mean it can't be done, especially with continuous practice. In many respects prayer is a skill.

4. Mudda

Mudda Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    So none of the stories are true? Or are you a cherry picker like pretty much everyone else here?

5. Meriweather

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +694
    What is the theme of each story? What is the lesson the author wished to teach? For whom is the lesson intended?

As for your question: Do I think every lesson in the Bible is about me? No. So I humbly accept your categorization as "Cherry Picker."

6. Mudda

Mudda Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    So what's the theme of god making the world in 6 days but that that's not true? The author thought that god made the everything in 6 days, and so did Christianity, until science proved them wrong.

7. Meriweather

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Shrug. Go ahead. Believe the world was literally created in six days. Some Christians and some ultra-orthodox Jews believe this. Strain out the gnat. Swallow the camel. Remember, however, the calculation that the earth was six thousand years old was made by Ussher, a Christian, in the 1800s. Fourteen hundred years earlier, Jews were already noting this might not be the case. The wording for the first five-and-a-half days of creation had them thinking there were two "clocks." The "clock" that was in play that first five-and-a-half years, was not the same "clock" as after man was created.

An Israeli scientist sums it up as noting that if the first clock is based on the moment of creation, and then the universe begins expanding, the expansion is also going to expand the amount of time between one event (or day) and the next. Using physics calculations I don't fully understand which takes this expansion into consideration, what was a "day" before the expansion began now stretches into fifteen billion years. True, today's scientists say it was more like 14.something billion years, but 15 billion is still in the ballpark.

The point is, Jews long before Ussher, noted in the wording that there seemed to be two different ways of calculating time in Genesis.

Fascinating stuff. But you keep studying Ussher as though he came up with the only truth.

8. Mudda

Mudda Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    So basically, you have to give the bible alternate meanings for it to make sense to you. I should do that with movies I don't like, just pretend that they're actually sci-fi thrillers like I like them, because nobody could ever write such a bad and unbelievable movie as it was filmed? :lol:

9. Meriweather

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +694
    It is more like you who believing gold can be made from lead and that the earth is flat. Scientists said so! You MUST believe it because you believe in science! Since there are still people who believe this--and you believe science--you must believe the earth is flat and gold can be made from lead. If you say you don't believe it, then you must be a cherry picker. See where I am going with this? :D

Just as different people arrive at different conclusions on scientific matters (string theory, dinosaur extinction, climate change) so do people of faith arrive at differing conclusions about scripture and spiritual matters. Neither people of science nor people of religion can be tossed into one basket. Yet, day after day, year after year, that is what you have been doing here to people of faith.

Too many take what some modern Americans believe about the Bible, and too many make assumptions that all Christians/people of faith believe the same thing--and have believed this exact same thing from time immemorial. If people did even a teensy bit of studying they would immediately see that today people have a wide variety of beliefs about what Genesis says about creation, and with a tiny bit more study they will find that down through the ages people were having the same discussion you and I are having today.

10. Mudda

Mudda Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    Scientist agree on conclusions, otherwise what they disagree on are theories. Are you saying that you believe in a theory? Because not all Christians can be right. How would you be able to tell who is right and who is wrong?