Common Core Crumbling

When a national teachers' union backs off on the national standard, it means the whole thing is in more trouble than it appeared before. That and a lot lot of governors stepping away must indicate that something is wrong with centralized control of what our youth are taught.

Read more @ Teachers Union Abruptly Breaks Rank On Common Core | The Daily Caller

Yet another person who has no idea what "Common Core" is.

I know that Common Core is an initiative from the National Governor's Conference that is supposed to set national standards so that children in K-12 can read, write and comprehend mathematics at a level making them ready for entering the marketplace.

I also know that it is becoming unpopular because more and more liberals and progressives have injected their political agendas into it making it more of a propaganda tool then anything else.

As parents are seeing their ability to speak up about their children's learning, they are rising up against taking education away from local school boards. They are, in effect, standing up to Big Brother.

Did I miss anything?

States can't do that stuff, the federal government has got to be involved to give leadership and guidance or it dies on the vine.

Common Core could had been a good thing. It's implementation has been a cluster f#%£!

All the talk..its really short sighted rhetoric, was "more accountability", "more testing" "more rigorous"... and on and on and on verbatim. So then the common core comes out. Now that's no good. So what now? Step one in my book... get rid of all federal, state, and local formal testing of students as well. If we are going to look at test scores then let's ensure that only the test concepts are taught and the students are very well versed on exactly what is on the test. Then test. Scores go up.

When a national teachers' union backs off on the national standard, it means the whole thing is in more trouble than it appeared before. That and a lot lot of governors stepping away must indicate that something is wrong with centralized control of what our youth are taught.

Read more @ Teachers Union Abruptly Breaks Rank On Common Core | The Daily Caller

I know that Common Core is an initiative from the National Governor's Conference that is supposed to set national standards so that children in K-12 can read, write and comprehend mathematics at a level making them ready for entering the marketplace.

I also know that it is becoming unpopular because more and more liberals and progressives have injected their political agendas into it making it more of a propaganda tool then anything else.

As parents are seeing their ability to speak up about their children's learning, they are rising up against taking education away from local school boards. They are, in effect, standing up to Big Brother.

Did I miss anything?
well you just proved you don't know what common core is. unless you can show us a liberal bend to math standards?

Common Core a Tool for a Leftist Curriculum?

Many have attacked me for posting items about Common Core that seem to oppose it. I admit that I am certainly not an expert on the subject, but it appears that more and more experts are voicing their disapproval of it. This Op-Ed seems to make a very good case for governors and others to take a second look.

The ‘Stealthy’ Plan to Infuse HS American History with ‘Sharply Left-Leaning Curriculum’ — and Its Common Core Connection

Read more @ Op-Ed: The ?Stealthy? Plan to Infuse HS American History with ?Sharply Left-Leaning Curriculum? ? and Its Common Core Connection | TheBlaze.com

Many have attacked me for posting items about Common Core that seem to oppose it. I admit that I am certainly not an expert on the subject, but it appears that more and more experts are voicing their disapproval of it. This Op-Ed seems to make a very good case for governors and others to take a second look.

The ‘Stealthy’ Plan to Infuse HS American History with ‘Sharply Left-Leaning Curriculum’ — and Its Common Core Connection

Read more @ Op-Ed: The ?Stealthy? Plan to Infuse HS American History with ?Sharply Left-Leaning Curriculum? ? and Its Common Core Connection | TheBlaze.com

Well, except that that Op-Ed has nothing to do with Common Core.

That's about the College Board and AP History exams. Not Common Core. They have nothing at all to do with each other.

There are no Common Core History standards - only English and Math.

just to let you know, longknife, i don't blame you for the confusion. people everywhere - and especially glen beck - are reporting that common core is some kind of liberal indoctrination conspiracy.

it's not. it's a set of standards for language arts and math. there may be issues with it and its implementation - some have said that it asks kids to do abstract reasoning at too young an age - but that at least is an argument on the merit of the standards themselves.

common core has problems - the biggest of which might be ignorance on the part of the public.

just to let you know, longknife, i don't blame you for the confusion. people everywhere - and especially glen beck - are reporting that common core is some kind of liberal indoctrination conspiracy.

it's not. it's a set of standards for language arts and math. there may be issues with it and its implementation - some have said that it asks kids to do abstract reasoning at too young an age - but that at least is an argument on the merit of the standards themselves.

common core has problems - the biggest of which might be ignorance on the part of the public.

I've gone to about a dozen sites to try to understand the basis of Common Core.

All of them SEEM to make sense. Having every student aim for a target result makes sense - until you realize progressivism is teaching our students not to compete.

I cannot disagree with math and language skills - I think they're a good thing. It just seems to be how to get there.

Our whole form of government - which far too many have forgotten - is a DECENTRALIZED republic with the rights of the individual states superior to that of the federal government.

That's about the College Board and AP History exams. Not Common Core. They have nothing at all to do with each other.

The CA exit exam for High School aged kids is a joke. Math is based on an 8th grade syllabus and requires 55% to pass. No wonder we suck

-Geaux

California High School Exit Exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The CA exit exam for High School aged kids is a joke. Math is based on an 8th grade syllabus and requires 55% to pass. No wonder we suck

-Geaux

You may be right, but it still has nothing at all to do with Common Core.

All of them SEEM to make sense. Having every student aim for a target result makes sense - until you realize progressivism is teaching our students not to compete.

I cannot disagree with math and language skills - I think they're a good thing. It just seems to be how to get there.

Our whole form of government - which far too many have forgotten - is a DECENTRALIZED republic with the rights of the individual states superior to that of the federal government.

Common Core is not a Federal Government program.

so the question i have now is how do you think that a unified standard discourages kids to 'compete'

-Geaux

You may be right, but it still has nothing at all to do with Common Core.

if anything it's evidence of the need for a set of standards like common core.

The American Teachers Federation pretty much rejects Common Core. So does any teacher that can actually teach.

I know that utilizing the word "Common" was an excellent description of something with NO basic core. I know that when teachers in NYC are protesting the testing portion there is an issue. I know when teachers are leaving education because of this, there is a problem.

Forum List

Back