Commissioner says Palin tried to influence him personally

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
ANCHORAGE — Alaska's former commissioner of public safety claims that Gov. Sarah Palin, John McCain's pick to be vice president, personally talked to him on two occasions about a state trooper who was locked in a bitter custody battle with the governor's sister.

In a phone conversation Friday night, Walt Monegan, who was Alaska's top cop until Palin fired him July 11, told The Anchorage Daily News that the governor also had e-mailed him two or three times about the trooper, Mike Wooten, though the e-mails didn't mention Wooten by name.

What role Palin played in seeking her ex-brother-in-law's dismissal is the governor's first brush with scandal in a political career that has been premised on reforming Alaska's corruption-plagued Republican party and raises questions not only about her willingness to use her office to further a personal agenda but also about her administrative abilities.

Palin's replacement for Monegan, Chuck Kopp, was forced to resign just two weeks after he was appointed because of a sexual harassment complaint that had been filed against him when he was the chief of police in Kenai, Alaska.

Palin, in a news conference announcing Kopp's resignation July 24, said she was unaware that the Kenai city council had reprimanded Kopp as a result of the complaint. She wouldn't discuss how her staff had vetted Kopp before naming him to replace Monegan three days after Monegan was fired.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/30/2008 | Fired official: Palin talked to me about ex-brother-in-law

Last edited:
jsanders, I watched an interview with him on CNN *he was on the phone* last night were he said she talked to him personally and at one point he advised her that she should have her husband contact him in the future if there was more "venting" to be done on this issue because of her position as Governor.

Which is in complete contradiction with his earlier allegations. I'll have to dig through Kirk's 913759759759279579735 links to find which articles said that.

Oh, it is? Obvious to whom? You?

Mmmm...I wish I could spread her over a piece of toast.

perv :lol:

I have no idea if you could search CNN but there was an interview with him last night where he said she did contact him but most of the contact was through her husband and staff.

perv :lol:

I have no idea if you could search CNN but there was an interview with him last night where he said she did contact him but most of the contact was through her husband and staff.

Right, he did say her staff contacted him. But two weeks ago, he claimed that Palin never directly contacted him. Now he's saying otherwise.

It's all posted in Kirk's other topic.

I read his thread, I read the article. but I never or rarely I should say, trust what is in print as much as I trust what I hear someone say with their own words. In print shit gets omitted or taken out of context all the time.

here is the interview I was referring to

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkhhWyY-SU&feature=related]YouTube - NBC Sarah Palin called 24 time to get him fired?[/ame]

If she did try to use her influence wrongly, it does nullify what they have been pushing her as the reformer for Alaska.

If rev wright and all that shit is relevant so is this.

Politics has sunk from the sewer into the cesspool. Unfortunately, as McCain knows from the 2000 push poll done by the Bush forces, if you aren't ready to fight back, the slime does win.

If she did try to use her influence wrongly, it does nullify what they have been pushing her as the reformer for Alaska.

Not necessarily. Reform can take many meanings. Perhaps in the great state of Alaska, util Saraj Palin came along, you couldn't buy influence for love nor money.

Now what kind of goverment would that be, eh?

You know... we could just all wait til the dust settles and the investigations are done, and then take positions regarding her guilt or innocence once any of us has any information worth having.

But what fun in that when we can all take partisan positions before all the data is in, eh?

Politics has sunk from the sewer into the cesspool. Unfortunately, as McCain knows from the 2000 push poll done by the Bush forces, if you aren't ready to fight back, the slime does win.

Yeah, Amazingly clever of those Democrats, isn't it?

Even though these allegations been in process before this unknown was selected by McCain, the Dems already had a scandal, complete with totally fabricated charges in place, just in case she was chosen. Amazing!

Those Dems sure as hell are prepared, aren't they?

Odd that despite the fact that they must have a crystal ball, they keep losing elections.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
Not necessarily. Reform can take many meanings. Perhaps in the great state of Alaska, util Saraj Palin came along, you couldn't buy influence for love nor money.

Now what kind of goverment would that be, eh?

You know... we could just all wait til the dust settles and the investigations are done, and then take positions regarding her guilt or innocence once any of us has any information worth having.

But what fun in that when we can all take partisan positions before all the data is in, eh?

Yeah, Amazingly clever of those Democrats, isn't it?

Even though these allegations been in process before this unknown was selected by McCain, the Dems already had a scandal, complete with totally fabricated charges in place, just in case she was chosen. Amazing!

Those Dems sure as hell are prepared, aren't they?

Odd that despite the fact that they must have a crystal ball, they keep losing elections.

I love how the knee jerk reaction is the blame the Dems. The legistlature of her state decided to investigate this situation, both Dems and Repubs alike.

it's not the Dems fault that McCain picked someone with a fresh investigation going on against her, her being picked is what brought this to national attention not the Democratic party.

She's in the national spotlight now. She needs to be prepared for all her worst secrets to be brought to light. She's not protected simply because she's a woman.

Forum List

Back