Colorado governor signs police accountability bill, ending qualified immunity defense

The law also bans chokeholds and limits other uses of force

Quote:
DENVER Colorado Gov. Jared Polis on Friday signed into law a broad police accountability bill introduced amid protests over the police killing of George Floyd.

Colorado is one of several states and cities considering proposals aimed at limiting excessive force and increasing accountability after Floyd, a black man, died May 25 when a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck for nearly eight minutes.

Polis, a Democrat, said the new law will help restore trust between law enforcement and the community and that "black Americans deserve to feel safe."
Quote:
We cannot go back to normal," Polis said. "We need to create a new normal where everybody's rights are respected."
Colorado governor signs police accountability bill, ending qualified immunity defense in the state

Great, by Monday we'll see how many call in sick, file for early retirement or just say screw it.

Do you realize that your argument that the cops will quit if they start being held accountable for their actions make them look really bad?

How do you control a bad person that is violent without using methods with the possibility of error while using them. Thing is most defense methods could just as easily go wrong as you're deal with a violent and rapidly changing situation.

When you are told that a suspect has no pulse you don't just continue to blankly stare into the camera without a care for the life you are snuffing out.

You don't lie to get a warrant .

You understand that some crimes are not really crimes.

You understand that people have rights and no, they do no have to allow you to violate them.

Quote:
DENVER Colorado Gov. Jared Polis on Friday signed into law a broad police accountability bill introduced amid protests over the police killing of George Floyd.

Colorado is one of several states and cities considering proposals aimed at limiting excessive force and increasing accountability after Floyd, a black man, died May 25 when a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck for nearly eight minutes.

Polis, a Democrat, said the new law will help restore trust between law enforcement and the community and that "black Americans deserve to feel safe."
Quote:
We cannot go back to normal," Polis said. "We need to create a new normal where everybody's rights are respected."
Colorado governor signs police accountability bill, ending qualified immunity defense in the state

Great, by Monday we'll see how many call in sick, file for early retirement or just say screw it.

Do you realize that your argument that the cops will quit if they start being held accountable for their actions make them look really bad?

Yep, that's all you want...accountability, fricken simpleton.

Quote:

Quote:

How do you control a bad person that is violent without using methods with the possibility of error while using them. Thing is most defense methods could just as easily go wrong as you're deal with a violent and rapidly changing situation.

When you are told that a suspect has no pulse you don't just continue to blankly stare into the camera without a care for the life you are snuffing out.

You understand that people have rights and no, they do no have to allow you to violate them.

WTF, worked for Obama.

Quote:

Quote:

WTF, worked for Obama.

No it didnt, whatever you are talking about.

Every cop that arrests somebody or even pulls them over is going to be sued.

This will essentially end the police...they'll all quit & go work for private security (which will be needed much more in the very near future).
Thing is, private security doesn't get qualified immunity either.
They are even more vulnerable than cops, and people will start shit, film it, and go after the employer with a lawsuit.

Thing is, private security doesn't get qualified immunity either.
They are even more vulnerable than cops, and people will start shit, film it, and go after the employer with a lawsuit.
Private security does not have to abide by the same laws as police do. There is no duty of care nor do they have to respect any civil rights. There is no protecting and serving. It will be like any third world country with a small corrupt police force.

I reached the third paragraph and my jaw dropped. THINK of this situation:

The law bars police from using deadly force against suspects they believe are armed unless there is an imminent threat of a weapon being used as suspects attempt to escape.

Attempt to escape? WHO THE FUCK DREAMED THAT UP? So if some asshole takes a hammer to a cop the cop may only fire if they attempt to escape? Interesting way to think situations through, waste in the court system.

The law also bans chokeholds. So imagine you're a cop and it's you or them in a full blown fight, and the only move you have is a choke hold. But you can't do it, so you have to roll around the floor with the drug addict some more like a comic strip so things are "FAIR" until what, the cop's dead?

Private security does not have to abide by the same laws as police do. There is no duty of care nor do they have to respect any civil rights. There is no protecting and serving. It will be like any third world country with a small corrupt police force.
Wrong. We are bound by the same laws as everybody else.

I reached the third paragraph and my jaw dropped. THINK of this situation:

The law bars police from using deadly force against suspects they believe are armed unless there is an imminent threat of a weapon being used as suspects attempt to escape.

Attempt to escape? WHO THE FUCK DREAMED THAT UP? So if some asshole takes a hammer to a cop the cop may only fire if they attempt to escape? Interesting way to think situations through, waste in the court system.

The law also bans chokeholds. So imagine you're a cop and it's you or them in a full blown fight, and the only move you have is a choke hold. But you can't do it, so you have to roll around the floor with the drug addict some more like a comic strip so things are "FAIR" until what, the cop's dead?

When you routinely abuse the tools you are gave, they get taken from you.

Question for you all, once a cop is fired, doesn't that essentially end his protection and he can be sued in civil court anyways?
I'm not an attorney however my understanding is that IF he had immunity during the time that the act occurred then even if he's fired, the immunity "for that time" remains.

One of the things I've seen suggested is that if an officer violates any law or any agency policy, rule, regulation, etc. and is fired for said violations, then he should be stripped of his immunity. Presumably because he was operating outside of what the state who granted him this powers allows, as well as what his agency allows.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm not an attorney however my understanding is that IF he had immunity during the time that the act occurred then even if he's fired, the immunity "for that time" remains.

One of the things I've seen suggested is that if an officer violates any law or any agency policy, rule, regulation, etc. and is fired for said violations, then he should be stripped of his immunity. Presumably because he was operating outside of what the state who granted him this powers allows, as well as what his agency allows.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the response. I have to say, I think these should be case by case situations. The cop who kneeled on George Floyds neck is an entirely more deliberate murder than a cop spending a great deal of time giving a guy a chance to come peacefully after he is clearly drunk and then firing at him after his taser is taken.

Like you, I'm not a lawyer, judge or jury, but it's just the way I see it. Someone else smarter than me will decide the outcome of this case, but I can see how one deserves more support from society than the other.

You're mistaken. Anyone who uses their firearm professionaly has a duty to render aid if they have injured (shot) someone with it.

And they're not allowed to violate any laws civil rights included. You would just have the difficult task of attempting to prove to the court that the security officer was acting as an agent of a government agency in order to claim a violation of civil rights if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the response. I have to say, I think these should be case by case situations. The cop who kneeled on George Floyds neck is an entirely more deliberate murder than a cop spending a great deal of time giving a guy a chance to come peacefully after he is clearly drunk and then firing at him after his taser is taken.

Like you, I'm not a lawyer, judge or jury, but it's just the way I see it. Someone else smarter than me will decide the outcome of this case, but I can see how one deserves more support from society than the other.

If someone punches me and then runs off and I shoot them in the back from across a parking lot as they run off, I'm getting arrested.

All that segments of society is asking is for the police to be treated like they have treated citizens.

You're mistaken. Anyone who uses their firearm professionaly has a duty to render aid if they have injured (shot) someone with it.

And they're not allowed to violate any laws civil rights included. You would just have the difficult task of attempting to prove to the court that the security officer was acting as an agent of a government agency in order to claim a violation of civil rights if I'm not mistaken.
That comes into play when a security service is working for a company with a government contract. In that circumstance, they can be considered government employees, and can be subject to things like FOIA requests.

Private security does not act as a government agent. As far as rendering aid, ha. Fat chance making that case.

That comes into play when a security service is working for a company with a government contract. In that circumstance, they can be considered government employees, and can be subject to things like FOIA requests.
Do you think the body guards that get paid by actors are under a government contract? If a strip mall gets together and hires armed security do they have a government contract? The land company that owns the property where I live has their own armed security force. I assure you there is no government contract.

Forum List

Back