College Restores the American Flag

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass. will once again fly the American flag on campus, at full staff, administrators announced Friday.

The announcement reverses a decision to remove the flag that made the school a subject of protest and ridicule for the past two weeks.

Hampshire initially placed its on-campus flag at half staff following President-elect Donald Trump’s surprise victory in the election. But several student activists agitated for the flag to be removed entirely, saying it represented oppressive forces like the police and the U.S. military.

Then, the night before Veterans Day, an unknown person took down the flag and burned it. The school put another flag up for Veterans Day, but a few days later announced it was taking the flag down indefinitely. At the time, president Jonathan Lash said he hoped removing the flag would encouraged students to focus on more important issues like fighting against racism and anti-gay rhetoric.

But many others didn’t react positively. The school was sharply criticized by the mayor of Amherst, and a large crowd of military veterans showed up to publicly protest.

Initially, the school tried to limit the controversy by barring protesters from campus and telling the press not to speak with its students. Now, though, the school has reversed course entirely, and announced that it will fly the flag at full-staff like it did before the election.

After making the announcement, Lash complained about the hostility he had encountered from people angry over the school’s removal of the flag.

“I’ve received many e-mails, a lot of them extremely unpleasant,” Lash told The Boston Globe. “Our phone lines have been clogged with people calling to express their anger. People can disagree with us, but we’ve also received very explicit threats.”

Lash also praised the entire controversy as a valuable lesson in the First Amendment.

“This is what free speech looks like,” he said in a statement. “We believe in it, we will continue this work on campus, and we will look for ways to engage with our neighbors in the wider community.”

Morons. The Left touts these people as the "educated". Morons.

Ludlow resident William Crawford filed a petition at the White House, asking the government to stop funding until the flag is back flying at the school.

The flag stopped flying at Hampshire College after someone took it down and burned it shortly after the presidential election.

Another was put up and lowered to half staff, but eventually, it was removed indefinitely.

Hampshire College President Jonathan Lash said that there was no political agenda behind the decision. Rather, the removal was approved to spark a dialogue about the American flag among the campus community.

Ludlow man speaks on starting petition to cease federal funding to Hampshire College

"Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass. will once again fly the American flag on campus, at full staff, administrators announced Friday. ..... Hampshire initially placed its on-campus flag at half staff following President-elect Donald Trump’s surprise victory in the election.”
Typical Far Left Communists! Exactly like the Sovjet Union regime! Flags everywhere and forcing political favour against True Democratic vote of the people!

I hope to God that Donald Trump brings back DEMOCRACY to the U.S.

Never understood why people that claim to hate America so demand to stay.

The flag represents oppressive forces? No critical thinking allowed apparently.

Hampshire initially placed its on-campus flag at half staff following President-elect Donald Trump’s surprise victory in the election. But several student activists agitated for the flag to be removed entirely, saying it represented oppressive forces like the police and the U.S. military.
Just a few years ago, I would have assumed this was a phony story.

This is what happens when our schools become ideological vacuums.

Sad to see.

They ran the flag back up again?

Cool.

Dumbphukk Liberal crybabies.

The little wankers stopped emoting for ten seconds and came to the realization that the position was unsustainable, did they?

Funny stuff.

The butt-hurt must have been strong, indeed, in those precious, fragile little Fruit Loops.

It's a private school --- about $70K a year to attend. Just another liberal arts college.

I checked out that college and visited the campus out back when. It was actually off the charts "liberal arts." If I recall there was no grading, no traditional tests - I think a verbal presentation as a final, and the "student" picks any subject they can dream up as a major.

Never understood why people that claim to hate America so demand to stay.

The flag represents oppressive forces? No critical thinking allowed apparently.
Maybe we need to bring our "oppressive forces" home and the money that countries benefit with our presence.

To my fellow citizens, maybe we need to pull back our oppressive police forces and allow anarchy to rule our streets.

It didn't take long for Hampshire College to realize their mistake in lowering and removing our flag.

They should have known there would be a backlash.

I don't approve of threatening or hateful correspondence with the College.

Regressives during Trump victory: Burn American flags.
Trump administration America: Restores American flags.

Learn the difference.

As far as the flag goes, was this a private college or public college?
Try Google between childish insults

Your article said that the government should cut funding of the school for not flying the flag, well if it is a private school does it even get any federal funding?

Dang! This is tough ...

That is not true. A private school still receives government funding - in addition, their students are allowed to avail themselves of federal school loans.

The only school that I know of that meets your criteria is Hillsdale College, and they're so conservative, it would give you the heebie-jeebies.

(I see OldSchool has sunk to your level ... why am I not surprised? Must have been the enema)

Your article said that the government should cut funding of the school for not flying the flag, well if it is a private school does it even get any federal funding?

Dang! This is tough ...

That is not true. A private school still receives government funding - in addition, their students are allowed to avail themselves of federal school loans.

The only school that I know of that meets your criteria is Hillsdale College, and they're so conservative, it would give you the heebie-jeebies.

I can give you one. Berea College in Ky.

Dang! This is tough ...

Berea College accepts federal grants and federal student loans.

Dang! This is tough ...

That is not the same thing as getting federal funding...

Dang! This is tough ...

It isn't? How else do colleges get federal money?

14 inch flesh lights? That would be a waste of about 10 inches, you'd be wasting your money. Buy the miniature size.

LMAO!!!!

You can't even interpret an insult???

And, i wonder why you say such stupid things.

No derp, I know you were talking about 14 years old...and instead I side tracked it. Like you were bragging about 14 inches... but if you don't understand the Monty Python like humor it's cool. It's high brow stuff.

Went back and read it again, huh?

That's ok --- it's clear your reading comprehension got stalled somewhere.

Wrong... I guess if TheOldSchool had hit you over the head with a flesh light you would have laughed, it's more like the Three Stooges slap stick stuff you can understand.

It's a private school --- about $70K a year to attend. Just another liberal arts college.

$70k per year??? That is Oppressive!!

Dang! This is tough ...

Research grants and state funding for operations costs.

Dang! This is tough ...

Research grants and state funding for operations costs.

We were speaking of federal funding ... state funding is what determines whether it is a private or public institution.

Virtually all educational institutions accept federal funding.

Forum List

Back