College football overtime - does it suck?

College football overtime - opinions sought - check all that apply

• The overtime system is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The system would be better if the offense started outside of field goal range

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Games ending in a tie would be better than the current system

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A sudden death OT would be better than the current system

• Continuing play, just without the clock running, would be better than the current system

• Total voters

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
College football overtime - does it suck?

poll pending

AHH CRAP - meant to make it a poll where you can pick more than one

DELETE THIS

Last edited:
well damn i hate football .....have no clue how its done in college

Its the dumbest thing imaginable.

Its more like baseball innings.

Team A gets the ball on team B's 25 yard line. They have the ball until they turn it over or score. The process is repeated, with Team B on offense.

That is one "inning"

If the score is still tied - more innings.

The problems are multi-fold
a) starting on the opponents 25 yard line puts you in FG range already. There have been games with 7 OT's because its so easy to score
b) it eliminates many of the elements of football - punting, for one thing, does you no good. Interception returns also are useless - unless you score - an interception returned to the 1 is just as good as one that gets no return - because your team gets it on the 25 either way.
c) its just fucking stupid

There was nothing wrong with just having TIES.

I like college football overtime better than sudden death

I just wish they would start at the 50 instead of the 25

That would be a definite improvement.

I'd prefer to just ditch OT for regular season games, and go back to ties. The Alabama-LSU rematch for the NC would be a far better match-up if the two teams had tied on their first meet!

For championship and playoff games, a full 5th quarter should be played - and then, if the score is still tied - resort to the 'extra innings' method currently in use.

NFL's sudden death, BTW, isn't so unfair anymore since they moved the kickoff line up to the 35. Any decent kicker can consistently kick touchbacks now, and when an O has to start at the 20 the odds in OT aren't as much in their favor as your'd think.

Last edited:

I'd prefer to just ditch OT for regular season games, and go back to ties. The Alabama-LSU rematch for the NC would be a far better match-up if the two teams had tied on their first meet!

For championship and playoff games, a full 5th quarter should be played - and then, if the score is still tied - resort to the 'extra innings' method currently in use.

NFL's sudden death, BTW, isn't so unfair anymore since they moved the kickoff line up to the 35. Any decent kicker can consistently kick touchbacks now, and when an O has to start at the 20 the odds in OT aren't as much in their favor as your'd think.

The NFL OT sucks when the team that gets the ball first kicks a FG and wins. It doesn't usually happen, but you still feel cheated

By starting at the 50, the offense needs to get 20 yards before they are in FG range. That way, three things can happen. You don't score, you get a FG, you get a TD. That way you wouldn't get these endless OT periods in College.

The NFL OT sucks when the team that gets the ball first kicks a FG and wins. It doesn't usually happen, but you still feel cheated

They "fixed" that for playoff games.

The regular season sudden death isn't the fairest system possible, but its better than college OT.

By starting at the 50, the offense needs to get 20 yards before they are in FG range. That way, three things can happen. You don't score, you get a FG, you get a TD. That way you wouldn't get these endless OT periods in College.

The 50 would also make defensive scores more likely, and that's actually an exciting aspect of the college OT system - a defensive score ends the game no matter what.

But I ask - why is OT even needed for non-championship games to begin with? College FB was fine for over a hundred years w/o OT. And games ending in ties were half as likely as games ending tied in regulation these days because coaches took risks - like 2 pt conversion attempts - to force a win/loss decision instead of a tie. These days a coach will rarely pass up a FG or a 1 pt conversion to take it into OT vs. going for 2 pts or a TD to win in regulation.

The regular season sudden death isn't the fairest system possible, but its better than college OT.

The 50 would also make defensive scores more likely, and that's actually an exciting aspect of the college OT system - a defensive score ends the game no matter what.

But I ask - why is OT even needed for non-championship games to begin with? College FB was fine for over a hundred years w/o OT. And games ending in ties were half as likely as games ending tied in regulation these days because coaches took risks - like 2 pt conversion attempts - to force a win/loss decision instead of a tie. These days a coach will rarely pass up a FG or a 1 pt conversion to take it into OT vs. going for 2 pts or a TD to win in regulation.

OT is needed because dumb assed NCAA doesn't have a playoff system

OT is needed because dumb assed NCAA doesn't have a playoff system

???? No, OT is NOT needed because there's no playoff. A playoff necessarily demands a win/loss result (a single elimination playoff of a set number of rounds at least) - with no playoff, no OT is needed - ties can just be ties. Even the NC could be a tie. Have the tied teams share the trophy. They could switch possession annually or display it at a mutually agreed upon neutral site.

The prospect of overtime in a college game ruins an otherwise enjoyable contest for me.
OT as it currently exists is more fucked up than a soup sandwich.

Finally a reasonable person.

This is why LSU v Alabama is such a great thing for me as an LSU fan - the chance to beat them in regulation. The OT in which LSU won literally doesn't count for anything anymore - so as far as I'm concerned, the score is still 6-6 and there's a 4 quarter full game of overtime coming up on 1-9

Forum List

Back