CDZ College Educations

• Will it end up being that college becomes the only path to a solidly middle-class lifestyle?
  • Should college be the only path to a solidly middle-class lifestyle?
While I don't think college should be the only route, I think it is very likely in 15 years going to be the only viable and reliably assured path to a middle class or higher lifestyle in the U.S. The reasons are pretty clear: increasing role of technology and increasing demand for professional services.

Edit/Note:
What you think or what is the quality of graduates colleges produce is not the the topic of discussion here. The two questions above are.
Not everyone is cut out for college. If they did not do well in high school then they are probably not cut out for college. For anyone not cut out for college and if they are physically fit they can join the Army, Navy, USMC, USCG, or USAF. If they are extremely physically fit they can try out for law enforcement or fire fighting.

The main thing is to work, save for retirement, and then live on your social security.

Yes, I recognize that currently not everyone performs sufficiently well in high school to earn a place at a college that has competitive admissions. I also realize that there are currently alternatives to college that lead to a middle class existence.

The first thread question, however, asks to perform a prospective rather than current evaluation of the nature of employment and employment opportunities in the U.S. Now it may be that you determine that folks who are not "cut out for college" will not in the future be able to obtain a middle class lifestyle. Perhaps instead you think that even in the future folks who are not "cut out for college" will have career paths that lead to a middle class lifestyle. I cannot tell which of those two things you project will be the case. Would you please clarify for us which of them you see as the reality that will face the segment of society -- folks not cut out for college -- you've chosen to discuss?

Implicitly from your comments, I glean that your answer to the second thread question is "no." Am I mistaken?

Forum List

Back