Colin Cowherd latest to feel the wrath of the PC police

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
He was on his way out from the king of PC networks ESPN anyway, but I wonder if he's now finished completely ?

Colin Cowherd no longer with ESPN after offensive remarks

Radio host Colin Cowherd has been pulled from the air by ESPN for his offensive remarks on Dominican baseball players in the big leagues.

"Colin Cowherd’s comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees," read an ESPN statement. "Colin will no longer appear on ESPN."

ESPN had previously announced that Cowherd's 12-year run at the network was about to expire by mutual accord -- he's widely expected to join the Fox network -- but his show was still supposed to run through next Friday.

On Friday's show, Cowherd attempted to clarify the remarks that started the firestorm, but only made matters worse.

"I did not intend to offend anyone with my comments," Cowherd said in a statement. "I realize my choice of words was poor and not reflective of who I am. I am sorry."

On Thursday, Cowherd was expressing his belief that general managers are capable of switching roles and taking on managerial duties, as the Miami Marlins’ Dan Jenningshas done this season, when he said, “You don’t think a general manager can manage? Like it’s impossible? The game is too complex? I’ve never bought into that, ‘Baseball’s just too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic.’’

Cowherd went on to add that the Dominican Republic is not known for its world-class education and that many of its players come from underprivileged backgrounds.

Major League Baseball and the players association independently denounced the remarks, even after Cowherd tried to remedy the situation.

Cowherd’s explanation that his comments were taken out of context did not satisfy officials from either organization, with baseball issuing a statement demanding an apology.

“Major League Baseball condemns the remarks made by Colin Cowherd, which were inappropriate, offensive and completely inconsistent with the values of our game,’’ the statement said. “Mr. Cowherd owes our players of Dominican origin, and Dominican people generally, an apology.”

MORE: Colin Cowherd no longer with ESPN after offensive remarks

"Colin Cowherd latest to feel the wrath of the PC police"

There is no 'PC police,' it's a ridiculous myth contrived by you and others on the right, the product of your fear of, and contempt for, a free and democratic society.

ESPN is part of a private corporate entity at liberty to hire and fire as it sees fit, in accordance with its corporate image, in response to what it perceives to be in it's best corporate interest – it's a fundamental tenet of our free market system.

As for Cowherd, he obviously doesn't believe in your 'PC' nonsense, either:

'On Friday's show, Cowherd attempted to clarify the remarks that started the firestorm, but only made matters worse.

"I did not intend to offend anyone with my comments," Cowherd said in a statement. "I realize my choice of words was poor and not reflective of who I am. I am sorry."'

If you don't think espn received the wrath of the pc police, forcing them to remove him, you are being dishonest with yourself.

"Colin Cowherd latest to feel the wrath of the PC police"

There is no 'PC police,' it's a ridiculous myth contrived by you and others on the right, the product of your fear of, and contempt for, a free and democratic society.

ESPN is part of a private corporate entity at liberty to hire and fire as it sees fit, in accordance with its corporate image, in response to what it perceives to be in it's best corporate interest – it's a fundamental tenet of our free market system.

As for Cowherd, he obviously doesn't believe in your 'PC' nonsense, either:

'On Friday's show, Cowherd attempted to clarify the remarks that started the firestorm, but only made matters worse.

"I did not intend to offend anyone with my comments," Cowherd said in a statement. "I realize my choice of words was poor and not reflective of who I am. I am sorry."'

Well I see your programmer still hasn't taken my advice yet.

None of the great announcers would last in todays hyper hysteria. All we have now are interchangeable nobodies with no original thoughts or voices.

None of the great announcers would last in todays hyper hysteria. All we have now are interchangeable nobodies with no original thoughts or voices.

I can only imagine how some of the old-timer announcers must feel about the eggshell society we now have. Half their content would probably have to be bleeped out.

Cowherd should have said DR's are smarter than they look if they understand baseball so well.
Baseball is, mentally, the toughest sport I've ever coached. Way more complex in the moment than football, basketball, cross country or track. So many things can happen at any time. I think the static nature of the game is what makes those who don't understand not understand.

I hope that rock you have been living under has the basic accommodations to survive? Whenever you decide to emerge we can help getting you caught up.

Forum List

Back