CNN: It's A Wonderful Life is sexist

By today’s standards I am sure it is sexist. For its time period in history, not so much. Do we want the movie to be historically incorrect with the depiction of male/female dynamics of the time?

After all, “if gorgeous, brilliant Mary had never met her George Bailey,” she would have never ended up working in a library, Costello suggests. Poor Mary threw away a stellar career for the mere love of a man.

Apparently this Costello person never paid enough attention to the movie.........The only reason Mary worked at the library was because she had not met George Bailey according to the story line. I don't believe she worked there before they were married.

AND there was a woman working at the Savings & Loan during a time women didn't work. If the movie was truly sexist, George wouldn't have had a woman on the payroll, now would he?

what a bunch of dumbasses

There's a whopper of a line in The Sound of Music, too. I watched it last night.
Lyric, Maria singing to Liesl, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen:"

"Low and behold you're someone's
wife
and you belong to him."

Ow. Well, it was 1965. And to me it was THE most romantic movie ever.

No matter, Christmas is over. Time for drama over New Year's, or better yet, MLK Jr Day

Forum List

Back