Climate change study had 'significant error': experts

And if you were to read the whole context, you would see that he is speaking of the fact that the warming we are seeing is not as much as it should be by the models. So, is the extra heat being stored somewhere, is it being reflected, where is it?

In the meanwhile, we are seeing far more effects from the present rate of heating than any of the models predicted, or predict at present, for that matter.

In other words, you are entirely correct when you state we do not have a good handle on all that is going on in the climatic response to the very rapid increase in GHGs. Unfortunetly, the predictions of the alarmists seem to be rather conservative when compared to what we are seeing now in weather events and in the arctic.

I'm confused by your post. The warming is not as much as the models predict and yet the predictions are rather conservative?

How can the predictions be both too high and too low?

Then read it more carefully. The amount of heat that they have measured in the oceans is not as much as was expected. The amount of heating in the Arctic is far greater than expected. The amount of ice melted, ice caps and mountain glaciers, is more than expected. And the present weather events we are seeing were not expected to begin this soon.

Arctic Sea Ice Volume Anomaly

Sea Ice Volume is calculated using the Pan-Arctic Ice Ocean Modeling and Assimilation System (PIOMAS) developed at APL/PSC by Dr. J. Zhang and collaborators. Anomalies for each day are calculated relative to the average over the 1979 -2009 period for that day to remove the annual cycle. The model mean seasonal cycle of sea ice volume ranges from 28,600 km^3 in April to 13,400 km^3 in September. The blue line represents the trend calculated from January 1 1979 to the most recent date indicated on the figure. Monthly average Arctic Ice Volume for Sept 2010 was 4,000 km^3, the lowest over the 1979-2010 period, 78% below the 1979 maximum and 9,400 km^3 or 70% below its mean for the 1979-2009 period. Shaded areas represent one and two standard deviations of the anomaly from the trend. Updates will be generated at approximately two-weekly intervals.

Polar Science Center - APL-UW - Arctic Sea Ice Volume

I don't think that anyone doubts that the globe warms. I think associating human activities with it is a bit arrogant of us has humans. Should we clean up our act? sure. Should we find alternative fuel sources that create less polution? Yes. Have people caused global warming? Doubt it.

Brian, events do not occur in a vacuum. Something causes them. Several times in the geological past we have seen rapid warming as the result of rapid increases in GHGs. Those were caused by volcanic events. Today, the rapid increase of GHGs in the atmosphere is caused by humans burning fossil fuels. However, that does not matter in the least as far as the physics of the situation is concerned.

Whatever the source of the GHGs, the result will still be rapid warming. The link I gave you was the the American Institute of Physics. The information is written by physicists. Real scientists currently practicing their profession.

Arctic Sea Ice Volume Anomaly

Sea Ice Volume is calculated using the Pan-Arctic Ice Ocean Modeling and Assimilation System (PIOMAS) developed at APL/PSC by Dr. J. Zhang and collaborators. Anomalies for each day are calculated relative to the average over the 1979 -2009 period for that day to remove the annual cycle. The model mean seasonal cycle of sea ice volume ranges from 28,600 km^3 in April to 13,400 km^3 in September. The blue line represents the trend calculated from January 1 1979 to the most recent date indicated on the figure. Monthly average Arctic Ice Volume for Sept 2010 was 4,000 km^3, the lowest over the 1979-2010 period, 78% below the 1979 maximum and 9,400 km^3 or 70% below its mean for the 1979-2009 period. Shaded areas represent one and two standard deviations of the anomaly from the trend. Updates will be generated at approximately two-weekly intervals.

Polar Science Center - APL-UW - Arctic Sea Ice Volume

I don't think that anyone doubts that the globe warms. I think associating human activities with it is a bit arrogant of us has humans. Should we clean up our act? sure. Should we find alternative fuel sources that create less polution? Yes. Have people caused global warming? Doubt it.

Brian, events do not occur in a vacuum. Something causes them. Several times in the geological past we have seen rapid warming as the result of rapid increases in GHGs. Those were caused by volcanic events. Today, the rapid increase of GHGs in the atmosphere is caused by humans burning fossil fuels. However, that does not matter in the least as far as the physics of the situation is concerned.

Whatever the source of the GHGs, the result will still be rapid warming. The link I gave you was the the American Institute of Physics. The information is written by physicists. Real scientists currently practicing their profession.

Care to prove that. There is no empirical evidence for any of what you have stated.

In NY we got out 5th major dump of AGW this winter with possibly another foot coming in on Tuesday.

1996Blizz1.jpg

(not my house)

In NY we got out 5th major dump of AGW this winter with possibly another foot coming in on Tuesday.

1996Blizz1.jpg

(not my house)

Whew! I almost had my illusions of what your place looks like dashed. I am envisioning MG turrets and mortar pits all interconnected with a trench system. Am I close?:lol:

go play your games somewhere else, dumbass

CAN'T answer it?

Or don't want to?

Really....either is fine.

But a Scientist would try, if they knew how.

olfraud has never claimed to be a scientist. He does claim to have dropped out of college after taking three years of college geology classes but his understanding of basic precepts of geology are so innacurate that I no longer believe him. I think he at best has a high school education.

Well, poor Portland, Oregon is getting rained on again. Going to be in the mid 50s for the rest of the week, maybe 60+ on the Oregon beaches. On the last week of January.

Care to prove that. There is no empirical evidence for any of what you have stated.

Methane catastrophe

Had that in February last year. Warm February and March, cool April, May, and June. Wonder what we will see this year. The norm for a La Nina winter is cool and wet. All we have seen thus far is wet. Very brief periods of cool, hasn't been cold yet. Even Eastern Oregon is unusauly warm this year.

Had that in February last year. Warm February and March, cool April, May, and June. Wonder what we will see this year. The norm for a La Nina winter is cool and wet. All we have seen thus far is wet. Very brief periods of cool, hasn't been cold yet. Even Eastern Oregon is unusauly warm this year.

last summer was some what below normal, but most summers around here any more are quite warm. 2005, 2009 where very hot with July 2009 being the hottest overall mean in recorded history at PDX. I think that summer 2011 could be close to 2009...Which has the record for number of 90f days or close to it.

Our turn for a heat wave. I think 3-4 100f, 20 90f days. The avg for Portland is 11 90f days/1 100f per year.

Last edited:

Methane catastrophe

This is your idea of proof? Wow you certainly have low standards. In a nutshell he provides no evidence for such a thing ever having occured. In fact he states

"I discovered the possibility of methane catastrophe as a student of paleontology. Paleontologists study fossils in order to reconstruct the history of life on Earth. Inevitably, many students of paleontology are interested in those episodes of biological cataclysm and change known as mass extinctions. Our interest has certainly been stimulated, in part, by the determination in 1980 of the cause of the extinction of the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago. (There is still some dispute about that cause, but most scientists accept that it was an extraterrestrial impact.)"

So there is STILL no evidence that any of the blathering BS you spew has ever occured. Nice job there olfraud.

And if you were to read the whole context, you would see that he is speaking of the fact that the warming we are seeing is not as much as it should be by the models. So, is the extra heat being stored somewhere, is it being reflected, where is it?

In the meanwhile, we are seeing far more effects from the present rate of heating than any of the models predicted, or predict at present, for that matter.

In other words, you are entirely correct when you state we do not have a good handle on all that is going on in the climatic response to the very rapid increase in GHGs. Unfortunetly, the predictions of the alarmists seem to be rather conservative when compared to what we are seeing now in weather events and in the arctic.

I'm confused by your post. The warming is not as much as the models predict and yet the predictions are rather conservative?

Then read it more carefully. The amount of heat that they have measured in the oceans is not as much as was expected. The amount of heating in the Arctic is far greater than expected. The amount of ice melted, ice caps and mountain glaciers, is more than expected. And the present weather events we are seeing were not expected to begin this soon.

Well, reading what you just wrote, it seems the experts are abslutely befuddled by what they are seeing vs. what they expected to see. Whether they are predicting a result too high or too low, when the result is different than the prediction, they are, in the end, just wrong.

Since they seem to be wrong every time, a nearly unblemished record in this arena, one might suppose they are either just guessing or conforming their predictions to a predefined "goal" result as opposed to a data driven result.

As a tax payer who has some of his taxes wasted on these researched predictions, I would prefer simple guessing as opposed to heavily funded research based prediction as it would still be wrong, but at least would be less costly.

How many times and to what degree must a credentialed person be wrong before he becomes a climate "expert"?

Well, reading what you just wrote, it seems the experts are abslutely befuddled by what they are seeing vs. what they expected to see. Whether they are predicting a result too high or too low, when the result is different than the prediction, they are, in the end, just wrong.

Since they seem to be wrong every time, a nearly unblemished record in this arena, one might suppose they are either just guessing or conforming their predictions to a predefined "goal" result as opposed to a data driven result.

As a tax payer who has some of his taxes wasted on these researched predictions, I would prefer simple guessing as opposed to heavily funded research based prediction as it would still be wrong, but at least would be less costly.

How many times and to what degree must a credentialed person be wrong before he becomes a climate "expert"?

That last sentence is PRICELESS!:lol::lol:

oh snap!!!

hahahaha

Methane catastrophe

picture-22.png

Forum List

Back