City Orders Man To Remove Flag

Discussion in 'Politics' started by red states rule, Aug 16, 2006.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    This City Council has way to much time on their hands. Now, if this man was flying a flag other then the US flag, would they be interested?

California man told to remove American flag

Ukiah, CA - A pending vote by Ukiah's City Council requiring a local resident to remove a large American flag from his property has some residents in the small Northern California town fuming.

Dave Hull and his neighbor Ric Piffero raised the giant 20-foot by 38-foot flag shortly after 9/11.

"We saw this happening all over the country on the news and just thought it would be a great thing to fly a flag up here where people could see it and enjoy it," says Hull, a lifelong Ukiah resident.

Piffero added, "It gives a person goosebumps. It does me, and to find anybody to find it an eyesore is pretty hard to take."

The Ukiah City Council is expected to ban the flag bya 3-2 vote, claiming the 45-foot pole on which it hangs violates the city's building height ordinance.

The flag, which is located on Hull's property in the hills to the west of Ukiah, can be seen from the center of town as it unfurls on windy days.

The controversy is so heated that council members chose not to comment to News10. However, the city manager did confirm that the council is concerned about "visual blight" created by the giant flag.

Local residents have their own opinions about the flag. Among them, Charla Reed of Ukiah. She said, "I think it's fine. It's not blocking my view. I don't think it's blocking anybody's view."
    Petitions supporting Hull and Piffero have been circulating around town. Already 300 signatures have been gathered.

Piffero said that if the city goes ahead with its threat of declaring the flag illegal, he and Hull will consider legal action and perhaps take it to a vote of the people.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/national/newsshare_article.aspx?storyid=58416

2. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If he lives in a neighborhood or has close neighbors, then that's unacceptable.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    That's bullshit and you know it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    WTF? Do you just argue for the sake of arguing? You know good an well you would be pissed if your property value went down because your neighbor has a giant parachute sized flag on his front lawn.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I doubt anyone's property value is going to go down because of a US flag. Well, maybe in Dem neighborhoods since y'all are partial to the "Hammer and Syckle."

Where's that sense of humor, Jack Benny?:laugh:

6. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Good one Dane Cook:laugh:

Why can't the guy just fly a normal american flag off his pole?

There's probably another side to this story.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I really don't see that it matters. I also find it hard to believe that coming from the liberal side, that you would want to infringe on this man's rights. Isn't that what y'all are always claiming to stand for?

8. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It shouldn't have been a city council decision. The neighborhood should of had an ordinance or CoC signed by all land owners.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Neighborhood Nazi Committees do not exist everywhere; especially, the older the neighborhoods are. If such a committee existed and he signed the agreement, and the flag was in violation of that agreement, then I would agree. In the absence of such, it IS a city council decision.

One thing I noticed about those Nazi neighborhood groups is they will draw up amendments after the fact as it suits them. They did the same thing here in regard to a guy who painted his garage door into an American Flag after 9/11.

Common denominator: It's cool to be unAmerican.

10. CharlestonChad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Common denominator: It's not cool to be tacky.