Chinese Nationalism

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Annie, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    The writers of this blog are 'anonymous' state department folk:

http://newsisyphus.blogspot.com/2005/04/nationalism-in-asia-why-great-white.html

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Sadly, this argument is more than correct. Even if we had demanded China live up to its promises and agreements before we handed them Most Favored Nation trading status and WTO membership, they still would have acted in the same way they are now.

Regardless though, their nationalism and their "need" to compete with Japan and dominate Asia will be their undoing.

3. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is interesting. Why was it that USA let China become Most Favored Nation at all? Is there a bond betweens USA and China that is... not so obvious? I think China is favoured in more ways, like with the Olympics. They have in turn really done nothing to show their good will?

What will their undoing result in? Uprising? (Is that a good thing?)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. dilloduck

dilloduck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,600
    I think the bond right now is purely a financial one with hopes that this will provide an incentive for further freedoms.

5. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most countries strive to access the enormous potential of Chinise market. The interest in business is rarely hindered by political opinions. Also it seems as it is esier to accept a "bad behavior" of a nation if the economical gains are big.

As for companies they act for profit, - as always. One can count on that they never cut their profit as long as their actions are within the law. And sometimes even that isn't enough.

But in the case of USA, I wonder if the relation with China also is a practical example of "Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"?

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    It would be nice if the level of thinking/direction in US foreign policy was that wise, but its highly doubtful.

The US has stood by and allowed China to transform itself from a backwater oppressive state into an economic powerhouse with mass holdings of US cash, substantial levels of pilfered US technology and weapon systems that now threaten US allies and US interests.

7. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You managed to find and fit all the scary words in one sentence. Europe does the exact same thing, and belive me there is no long term thinking involved here. Actually we are starting the effort to sell arms to China now, wich is a bit... worse, really. but obvious there is no limit of how much the market of China is worth.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    That is the flaw of all the Western democracies, especially America. Too often long-term thinking is ignored in favor of short term policies that only yield small benefits but avoid larger risks. To win, you must take risks. As Victor Davis Hanson said of US leadership in the past 25 years, every time the US has acted boldly (mostly these were incidents where the leadership was bowing to the long-term interests and potential of issues and problems) , it has succeeded. Where it has acted with caution (often with an eye on short-term interests and needs), it has failed miserably over and over again.

9. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And somewhere here is the key. I don't belive in "especially America". Our way of live is much more closley linked than it would seem, following threads here. I think America stands out because of its capabilities, not the intentions.

I will seriously have to look in to some recent descision making, not least descisions made in my own country, just to see when we expect to "cash in".

10. Annie

Annie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    I'm sorry Ice Eyes, what country are you from?

11. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sweden (Stockholm) I'll try to add that to the profile...

12. Annie

Annie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Thank you. In another thread I saw you mention Blix.

13. IceEyes

IceEyes Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some thinking has been done.

Here is a hypothesis, we are expected to live for, lets say 60 years of active, aware and mature life. I think that gives us roughly half that time in direct hind/foresight. We can, without studying grasp events from like 30 years ago and we can estimate to some extent the future in 30 years. With research maybe we could extend the foresight to say 100 years.

In all democracies we elect leader for like 4 or 5 years. If we want to start something today wich we may chash in the benefits from in, lets say 20 years, the whole ambition maybe aborted efter just 5 years. Righly with the aruments that is has shown no effect. 5 or 10 years may pass and the ambition is restarted and someting else is abandoned.

I found a practical example but I elaborate on it freely, - the use of antibiotics! While the short term use (Say 80 years in this case) shows no negative signs, we are now seeing more of resistant bacteria. In the next 80 years we might stand with no protection at all, due to how we have used the medicine. So the right thing to do now would be to cut down the use, save more powerful antibiotics for the future and start researching a substitute for the whole concept to be put in place in like 100 years. That were to say, if we acted out of the interest of the spiecey, but we rarley do, do we?

14. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    It was kissingers' scheme to help usher in the NWO. ANd the stupid brainwashed noahide goyim went along with it.

15. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

But WE are living now. Are people in the future more valuable than people living now?

16. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Wow, you hit the money. Chinese people HATE Japanese people. I've never seen anything like it. I've had people come up to me, and I quote:
    Chinese Person: Hi! I'm Tim Cheung (name changed)
    Me: Hi, how are you.
    Tim: Good. I hate Japanese people.

Exactly like that. It's amazing. Then again, it is totally understandable. I think that the elder generation and the Japanese government deserve it. They STILL deny that the Nanjing massacre ever happened. Literally, the Japanese come through, kill 300,000- 500,000 people, rape and molest as many or more, and do things that I don't think I can bring up on this board because it would just be indecent. And they do all of this in the course of 2 weeks. Kind of like the Holocaust, only faster. Then they spend the next 60 years without issuing so much as an apology and act like nothing ever happened. I believe the Prime Minister still goes every year to the natsoseka (along those lines) memorial for the people responsible for it. Frankly, I'd be pissed to. The author is doing a terrible job representing this situation.