China Imposes Punishment on North Korea

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
China suspends North Korean coal imports, striking at regime’s financial lifeline

China will suspend all imports of coal from North Korea until the end of the year, the Commerce Ministry announced Saturday, in a surprise move that would cut off a major financial lifeline for Pyongyang and significantly enhance the effectiveness of U.N. sanctions.

Coal is North Korea’s largest export item, and also China’s greatest point of leverage over the regime.

This is pretty significant. China is North Korea's only financial lifeline. If China withdraws that lifeline, the people of North Korea are in for seriously difficult times.

More:

China said the move was designed to implement November’s United Nations Security Council resolution that tightened sanctions against the regime in the wake of its last nuclear test.

But experts said the move also reflected Beijing’s deep frustration with North Korea over its recent missile test and the assassination of Kim Jong Un’s half brother in Malaysia.

The top exports of North Korea are Coal Briquettes ($1.03B), Iron Ore($192M), Non-Knit Men's Coats ($161M), Non-Knit Men's Suits ($157M) and Non-Knit Women's Coats ($146M), using the 1992 revision of the HS (Harmonized System) classification. Its top imports are Refined Petroleum ($180M), Synthetic Filament Yarn Woven Fabric ($152M), Soybean Oil ($112M), Delivery Trucks ($108M) and Broadcasting Equipment ($84.2M).

The top export destinations of North Korea are China ($2.67B), India($71.6M), Pakistan ($40.5M), Nigeria ($20.2M) and Brazil ($19.9M). The top import origins are China ($3.49B), Thailand ($107M), Russia($82.1M), India ($75.2M) and Singapore ($48.4M).

OEC - North Korea (PRK) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners

It sounds like good news to me, insofar as it is the only sanction on N. Korea that might have an effect.

I do feel bad for the North Korean people though. Things are already bad there and they don't really have any choice in the matter. Kim Jong Un doesn't sound like the kind of guy who will back down or change his mind based on the fact that his people are starving, freezing or living without electricity.

It beats nuking them, though.

This is unexpected to me. I thought they were allied.... :dunno:
That's a big problem for Pyongyang government. They literally depend on China :eusa_think:
They are allies, but even China realizes they cannot tolerate instability and lunacy in North Korea.

Only China is allowed to rattle their sabers. :)

The N. Korean spoiled brat thug - Kim Dung Poop is going down.

Forum List

Back