Chev Volt - 10K Cars only in 2011! WTF!!!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by GHook93, Jul 7, 2010.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    The big question is WHY only 10K models. The PAID to be on wait list is currently at 54K people. These are people who had to pay a few thousand dollars to wait in line. And its still 3 months away from launching. That is 5x what they are going to produce. Amazing!!! I hope after the first 10K get bought up day one, they decide to increase production rapidly!

GM starting slow with the Chevrolet Volt - Jul. 7, 2010

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Because it costs more to build tha they are going to sell it for, and they want to limit their losses.

3. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Because it's made in Murka.
    Epic failure.

4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    You have a link to that. I saw on the news, that the Volt's profit margin per car will be similar to their other GM vehicles. What they said also is that, due to the significant amount of resources contributed to R & D and design, it will take quite a few cars sold to make a profit!

I personally pray this will happen!
    (1) GM Volt TAKES off, better than anyone dreamed! The 10K are already sold, and 45K of 2011 60K are already sold. I see GM bumping Volt production from 60K in 2011 to 200K.
    (2) 2011 - I see Tesla (who is in trouble at the moment, after a huge boost in stock sales), finally going into production on their Model S. Getting it to public by 2012. With the demand created by the Volt, I think the Model S takes off.
    (3) 2012 - With the Volt success. Mitsubshi, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chysler, Kia etc start flooding the markets with their electric cars. Volt becomes the highest selling car in America.
    (4) 2012 - With the BP oil spill have disaster effects, with oil countries like Venezuela and Iran causing problem, the President will innitiate programs to keep demand for the electric car hight. First, he will raise the electric car tax credit from $7,500 to $10,000 (possibly $12,500). With gas prices starting to dip, the government will raise the gas tax to keep gas prices high!
    (5) 2015 - The Break Through Electric Car! Finally the all electric car that gets 500 miles per charge and fully charges in less than 15 mins hits the streets.
    (6) 2020 - Electric Car tips the 50% mark on the street.
    (7) 2025 - Electric Cars tip the 90% mark ont he street
    (8) 2030 - Gas cars of a think of the past!

5. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,994
    We had a waiting list of almost a year on the Pontiac Solstice when they first came out. It took over a year for them to add a third shift. Don't hold your breath.

Quick question. Ever used a favorite battery toy a lot? How did you feel about the battery replacement costs?

Until you change the American public driving habits, these type of vehicles will have limited appeal and little or no cost effectiveness for the owner or manufacturer in my opinion.

6. Defiant1

Defiant1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +987
    This vehicle is going to cause a lot of divorces. If most women are like my wife they are going to get pissed at all the old batteries thrown in the backyard.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I was being facetious, so I do not have a link. I could probably make one up if you insist though.

What I am hearing about the Volt does not impress me. You have to remember that this is essentially a Civic Hybrid or a Prius that you can pug in, it will not eliminate gas tanks. It is also expected to cost around $20,000.00 more than either of those cars, at least at first. The only way it will be able to compete on the market is with heavy subsides, something which is entirely possible considering we own GM and have no say in its operation.

8. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,994
  9. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    limited supply is a marketing tool for new products with proprietary features....it creates buzz... with waiting lists, it brings the value of the car up, if the demand is there for it and building, while the supply is short.

and no, I don't have a link for such....I just have used 'this', as a marketing tool. :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    Get your brains out of a Cracker Jacks box? Many of the EV 95 batteries, NiMH, have over 150,000 miles on them and are still going strong. And the Nickel in them means that they will be recycled, as will the Lithium batteries.