Cheap(er) vacation ideas with the kids..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by koshergrl, Oct 12, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,250
    I'm thinking of vacation today. The kids would LOVE to go to Disneyworld...and I really want them to go, at some point...but I'm torn. Given the fact that I can't afford big vacations every year, or even every 2-3 years, I wonder if perhaps we shouldn't do something a little more...cultural....

Like San Francisco! My kids have been raised in small towns, we haven't spent time in any of the cities, and I would love to up their worldliness a little...and San Francisco has so much that they would love. The ferry, the trolleys, and museums and Chinatown...

Then I think..wait...Shannon (Ireland) Lol...we could spend all vacation hiking, or rent horses and ride the miles of bridlepaths...

Then I think wait, that might be something for me to do alone when they're older, they might not be quite so gung ho...

NYC would be fun but honestly, the headache of navigating when I'm not at all familiar....on the other hand there are like dozens of museums, motels right on Times Square..I just fear we may wander off the grid adn nobody will ever hear from us again (I must get Jillian's cell if we go there just in case)...

Then I think wouldn't the kids love PARIS??? Or LONDON?

Then I think wait, I shouldn't spend money on a vacation at all..we should just stay home, lol.

Anyway does anyone have any really good stories/ideas for family vacations?

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    i would start with disneyLAND first.

its only two parks and a lot less expensive to see it all......

ferries, trolleys,museums and Chinatown... are adult things and the kids would not have fun.

And NYC...is crazy expensive.....and still not a kids vacation in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,250
    Eastern Europe!

Barcelona and Paris!

But I think you're probably right.

4. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    the geoduck museum is teh awesome

5. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    My boys are grown up and gone now - but I brought them up camping. A lot of camping. It's cheaper than a hotel and they get so much out of it / great memories / fun. Skyline Drive would be a great place to go. We spent a heck of a lot of time up there when they were growing up.

6. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,250
    We've done the camping thing and we do love it...next summer I plan on camping on all our long weekends (we have lots of places very close by, including campgrounds within walking distance of the beach). But I'm looking for something a little more for next year's big one.

Seriously...Vienna! OMG! Rome!

Sigh. I guess I can get those trips in after they're in college.

7. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Why not ask them what they want to do..... get some ideas and go from there. If they like wild rides...then disney is not the place. You would do better at sixflags.

What adults think of as fun, isnt so much fun for kids.

8. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    KG, Europe is literally covered in camp sites. Google Eurocamp for Keycamp for an idea on prices. Keycamp is the cheaper of the two.

9. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,250
    They have their hearts set on Disneyland.

It's a little less than 1000 miles...I'm thinking we could drive down, camp on the way, stay 3 nights, drive back.

That's some serious driving, but I don't mind driving if we stop a lot.

10. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    how long of a vacation do you get to do this? Truthfully.... i think you would do better with 4 days. Two days per park. Look for a package that has a magic morning on it... it lets you in an hour before the general public so you can hit the major rides first. Let me know if you do go...and ill give you all my best tips.

yes...it is a VERY long drive.... price it out, you may get a better deal with southwest...... or try Amtrak and take the train for a bit of a train adventure.