Cell Phones & Driving: Bad Mix?

Any Piece of "Feel Good" Legislation Politicians can pass which does nothing but increase taxes, or a form of taxes (traffic citations), they'll push for.

they'll have to make an exception for on-the-road jobs like road construction and contractors, etc.

my husband's job in road construction requires that he have his work cell phone on and available at all times, including at night because he is on call. he gets calls while driving to a site, he can't just pull over, otherwise it will take him 2x as long to get where he is going, because he would be on the side of the road at least 4-5 times a day.

I support the study of this legislation in our state because of the deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars of property damage that occur each year from the use of cell phones while driving a vehicle. The article stated: "It is estimated cell-phone distraction contributed to 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States in 2004." Driving on the interstates alone, with people going over the posted speed limit, requires our full attention if we don't want to end up dead, maimed, or a paraplegic. I agree that it's just not a good idea to throw phone calls into that mix.

We always take our cell phone with us when we take a trip--just in case we have car trouble or get into a situation where we need help. I would object to any law denying me the right to have a cell phone in my car for that purpose. Any cell phone law would have to include a few relevant exceptions, and people would have to be trusted to abide by the terms of the exceptions.

Forum List

Back