Celebs refuse to entertain the troops...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Good. I dont think many of the troops would want some anti-war hack telling them what they are doing is wrong to their face. Besides they get Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders in their place. So its win freakin win for the troops.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1673781,00.html

Stars turn backs on America's troops in Iraq

· Danger and anti-war stance keep celebrities away
· Shows now depend on Christian hip-hop groups

Jamie Wilson in Washington
Saturday December 24, 2005
The Guardian

During world war two American troops away from home for Christmas were entertained by Marlene Dietrich, Bing Crosby and the Marx Brothers. Even in Vietnam Bob Hope was guaranteed to put in an appearance. But soldiers in Iraq are more likely to get a show from a Christian hip-hop group, a country singer you have probably never heard of and two cheerleaders for the Dallas Cowboys. (sweeeeeeeett!!!!)

Just as the seemingly intractable nature of the war has led to a growing recruitment crisis, so the United Services Organisation, which has been putting on shows for the troops since the second world war, is struggling to get celebrities to sign up for even a short tour of duty.

It is a far cry from the days following the September 11 2001 attacks, when some of the biggest names in show business, from Jennifer Lopez to Brad Pitt, rallied to the cause. "After 9/11 we couldn't have had enough airplanes for the people who were volunteering to go," Wayne Newton, the Las Vegas crooner who succeeded Bob Hope as head of USO's talent recruiting effort, told USA Today. "Now with 9/11 being as far removed as it is, the war being up one day and down the next, it becomes increasingly difficult to get people to go."

Newton said many celebrities have been wary of going because they think it might be seen that they are endorsing the war. "And I say it's not. I tell them these men and women are over there because our country sent them, and we have the absolute necessity to try to bring them as much happiness as we can."

Fear is also a factor. "They're scared," country singer Craig Morton, who is in Iraq on the USO's Hope and Freedom Tour 2005, told USA Today. "It's understandable. It's not a safe and fun place and a lot of people don't want to take the chance."

The USO was founded in 1941 as a way of boosting morale for the military. For most of that time Bob Hope, who made his first appearance in 1942 and his last in 1990, was its most recognisable face, famed for putting on Christmas extravaganzas on aircraft carriers and American bases during the Vietnam war. Thousands of performers signed up to play the "foxhole circuit" during the second world war, but the USO has a much smaller list.

Some of the entertainers still willing to travel are die-hard true believers - rock musician Ted Nugent carried a Glock handgun to shows in Iraq last year and said in a radio interview that he manned a machine gun on a Humvee. But many of the USO's regular performers are fierce critics of the war, among them the comic and star of Good Morning Vietnam, Robin Williams, who told USA Today he would like to return to the Middle East in the spring for what would be his fourth tour since 2002. "I'm there for the [troops], not for W," he said in a reference to the president. "Go, man. You won't forget it. You'll meet amazing people," is his message to stars that ask him about the tours. But the comedian said he mostly tries to keep politics out of the show after he did a few jokes about Bush's brainpower at a base in 2003 and got a chilly reception.

Other critics of the war who regularly perform include the leftwing comedian Al Franken (who is headlining the current tour along with Christian hip-hop group Souljahz) and the punk legend and actor Henry Rollins, one of the Bush administrations most vocal critics.

The tradition of beautiful women thrilling the troops has continued - although while Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell showed up in Korea and Vietnam could boast Raquel Welch, in Iraq they have had to make do with sometime pop singer and reality TV star Jessica Simpson. (make do? That'd be pretty damn sweet. Especially if she's wearing her Daisy Duke outfit.)

I saw Bob Hope in person during one of his tours in 1983 (I think... early eighties anyway). The USO rocks. And, I remember seeing the entire Cowboys cheerleaders during a USO visit to Okinawa once. Lots better than a Christian Hip Hop band.

pegwinn said:
I saw Bob Hope in person during one of his tours in 1983 (I think... early eighties anyway). The USO rocks. And, I remember seeing the entire Cowboys cheerleaders during a USO visit to Okinawa once. Lots better than a Christian Hip Hop band.

appearances during WWII,Korea,Vietnam(my era) he was a true warrior unlike the phoney celebs of today they talk shit but have not the guts to enter the real stage of life...if they did and made their stupid negative anti-war remarks in hate vs humor well they would recieve a fast round to the buttocks...then again I truly believe they are actually afraid of the enemy whom they in public embrace, but fear to confront on the stage the enemy surrounds...cowards without a cause!

archangel said:
appearances during WWII,Korea,Vietnam(my era) he was a true warrior unlike the phoney celebs of today they talk shit but have not the guts to enter the real stage of life...if they did and made their stupid negative anti-war remarks in hate vs humor well they would recieve a fast round to the buttocks...then again I truly believe they are actually afraid of the enemy whom they in public embrace, but fear to confront on the stage the enemy surrounds...cowards without a cause!

There ARE celebrities who take the time and put forth the effort to entertain our troops. I try to not forget them anymore than those who will not.

GunnyL said:
There ARE celebrities who take the time and put forth the effort to entertain our troops. I try to not forget them anymore than those who will not.

Most so-called "celebs" are just like the rest of us. They make a living the best way they can. Their talent is in entertainment. It seems like just fun to most but it is very much work to those that provide it. When faced with decisions that include "How do I pay for this performance" verses "they got paid and transported for their performance" (talented entertainers are not known for their business expertise), what do you expect?

In addition, how much have you contributed to expenses of those that entertained you or that you expect to entertain your replacements? I suspect not a penny. That is exactly the saga of the "entertainer!"

You don't dig it, do you?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
Most so-called "celebs" are just like the rest of us. They make a living the best way they can. Their talent is in entertainment. It seems like just fun to most but it is very much work to those that provide it. When faced with decisions that include "How do I pay for this performance" verses "they got paid and transported for their performance" (talented entertainers are not known for their business expertise), what do you expect?

In addition, how much have you contributed to expenses of those that entertained you or that you expect to entertain your replacements? I suspect not a penny. That is exactly the saga of the "entertainer!"

last year I donated $100.00 to the USO...not alot but the best I could do...and you? Also soldiers in a combat zone pay with their blood,sweat and tears....!

:blah2:

archangel said:
Psychoblues said:

last year I donated $100.00 to the USO...not alot but the best I could do...and you? Also soldiers in a combat zone pay with their blood,sweat and tears....!

where did you make up that idea?

Even the celebs and their spokesperson didnt make such a claim.
They claimed they didnt want it to appear they were supporting the war, and that they are scared.

A Few Sour Notes from Hollywood
By Wesley Pruden, The Washington Times
December 27, 2005

But if there's no business like the show business for which Hollywood is famous, nowhere else has given the American soldier the business end of a dirty stick like Hollywood, circa 2005. Most critics of the war in Iraq are careful to preface criticism with synthetic sympathy for the men and women actually in uniform ? "we support the troops, but ... ." Hollywood doesn't bother.

In the first months after 9/11, Wayne Newton, who succeeded Bob Hope as the man to recruit entertainers for the foxhole circuit, couldn't accommodate all the stars who wanted to fly off to Afghanistan, and later Iraq. "We couldn't have had enough airplanes for the people who were volunteering to go," he told an interviewer. "Now with 9/11 being as far removed as it is, the war being up one day and down the next, it becomes increasingly difficult to get people to go."

Most Hollywood stars want to avoid the war. Many, like Alec Baldwin and Barbra Streisand, who promised to leave the country if George W. was re-elected but who never did, are more likely to show up at a rally to denounce the war. Wayne Newton, who likes the president, and Robin Williams, who doesn't, tell prospects their presence in the mess halls and compounds in Iraq won't be taken as endorsing the war. That hasn't helped much.

"They're scared," says Craig Morton, a country singer, who's from Nashville, after all (with California and Tennessee occupying space on different planets). "It's understandable. It's not a safe and fun place to be, and a lot of people don't want to take the chance."

The Christmas tour was for decades synonymous with a Bob Hope special. The first Hope tour was for Christmas 1942, and until 1990 he never enjoyed Christmas beneath the California palms. He took Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour to Europe and the South Pacific, Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell to Korea, Raquel Welch and Ann-Margret to Vietnam. The troops in Iraq get the likes of Jessica Simpson.

But it doesn't matter. Bob Hope learned that what the troops like best, even better than his masterful topical patter, were the girls, bosomy and long of leg, whom he invariably introduced as "what you're over here fighting for." Now, in deference to the many young women in the audience, the tour is carefully studded, so to speak, with treats for the fighting ladies.

for full article:
http://www.washtimes.com/national/pruden.htm

It's positive now that you just don't dig it. Your $100 bucks is appreciated. What do you say for the LIVES that have been sacrificed, both for and against the WAR? Dead, injured or just mentally marred for life? How do you reconcile all that? By voting Republican? It is the Republicans that oppose most rehabilitation and treatment of the injuries, physical and mental, caused by WAR of the Veterans they so shallowly support.

I ain't digging a few sound bites that appease the ignorant. I pay attention to votes and action.

Democrats support the active military AND the veterans. Once the veterans AND the military recognise this (and they will, mark my word) the Republicans are going to have a lot of explaining to do. don't you think?

Psychoblues

archangel said:
Psychoblues said:

Psychoblues said:

Psychoblues

If they were concerned with ow to pay for what, they would relize they are entertainers and that is what is expected of them .... entertainment, not politics.

What I don't dig is entertainers taking advantage of their access to the media via their ability to entertain using it to spout political propaganda.

And Hollyweird elitists may be just like YOU, but they nothing like me. Unlike you and them, I have to live in reality.

Psychoblues said:
Democrats support the active military AND the veterans. Once the veterans AND the military recognise this (and they will, mark my word) the Republicans are going to have a lot of explaining to do. don't you think?

Psychoblues

ahhh, so you know more than the soldiers do, as to who supports them? Your arrogance, stupidity and LIES know no boundries.

So, you think when the Gore campaign tried and suceeded to disqualify overseas SOLDIERS votes because of things like "no postmarks" on the envelope, that is supporting the soldiers? i.e. denying them the right to vote.

Psychoblues said:
It's positive now that you just don't dig it. Your $100 bucks is appreciated. What do you say for the LIVES that have been sacrificed, both for and against the WAR? Dead, injured or just mentally marred for life? How do you reconcile all that? By voting Republican? It is the Republicans that oppose most rehabilitation and treatment of the injuries, physical and mental, caused by WAR of the Veterans they so shallowly support.

I ain't digging a few sound bites that appease the ignorant. I pay attention to votes and action.

Psychoblues

Can ya dig it! Now I know who you are...maybe that old actor from that old series/77 Sunset Strip and the other one set in Miami can't remember the name...but "Cookie-Cookie please lend me your comb" and "can ya dig it"...surely rings a bell!

Psychoblues said:
What do you say for the LIVES that have been sacrificed, both for and against the WAR? Dead, injured or just mentally marred for life? How do you reconcile all that?

Of course, the ravages of war are troubling; to hint that Republicans don't give a damn or are clueless as to the reality of war is ludricous. I will remind you that America has an all-volunteer military. The people who serve in the military do so by choice. As part of the military, they understand that they may have to participate in a war which could take their lives or leave them disabled for life. That's the reality they accept. So be thankful that you live in America where volunteers choose to fight wars for you instead of in a country where it would be mandatory for you to serve.

We all wish that war never had to occur, but the fact is it's part of life. It has occurred from the beginning of time and will continue right up to the end of time. The military is a needed job, a paid job, just like any other, and someone has to do it. But, don't worry, like I said, those who serve do so voluntarily, so they won't be coming for you. You and your kindred libs no longer have to hate the military and try to discredit it in an effort to get out of serving.

I have heard many interviews with maimed soldiers at Walter Reed, and everyone of them has expressed his/her desire to get back into the fray, even if it's a job s/he could do sitting in a chair behind a desk. So I don't think "America's best" would give two cents for your bleeding heart concern for their fate. They know that you and your kind would not understand what it's all about. "Tea and sympathy" is just not a high priority for them.

What's that supposed to be? Our joke for the day?

Just to put the record straight, I've spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars entertaining and to have our troops entertained. Much of that time I was also a "troop", but I used my otherwise off time. I spent my own money as well. I was never the "Glenn Miller" paid professional military entertainer. I continue those endeavors and I remain very proud of them.

To imply that an entertainer is more credible than the Commander-In-Chief is what is ludicrous. That is, of course, unless the CIC is simply incredible. It is there I recognise the dilemma that we find ourselves. Millions of Americans, including me, can find any truth in the actions and objectives of GWB. Faulty intelligence or down-right lies with political agenda in mind? You decide.

I know the power of our nation and the competence of it's citizens. I am fully aware that most Americans are truly compassionate, flag-bearing, truth and justice oriented and spiritual people. I also know that advertising and false promise works well amongst our population. I look for genuine verifiable facts and the promises of our Constitution.

Psychoblues

Forum List

Back